2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Mixed Bag
By cpmariner on 02/06/14 11:25 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Overall, this excellent car is very comfortable (plenty of room for a 6' 4" man), amazingly powerful, highly maneuverable, great fuel economy, and really fun to drive. My wife fell in love with it, and her Lexus 350 GS is rapidly gathering dust in the garage. However, at 3,000 miles I'm beginning to worry about reliability. The first to go was the power seat memory -recently fixed. More serious, though, is an intermittent "roaring" noise from under the hood. To me, it seems to be the engine cooling fan running at 100% for no apparent reason. But the dealer's techies are sure that it's power steering-related and requires no "fix". Sounds like code for "we don't know" to me. We'll see.

The Curious Case Of Diminishing Milage
By claudestouareg on 01/26/14 06:22 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Our bran new 2013 Lux TDI gave us astonishing 33 mpg trips on secondary highways at around 60mph. Now with 7,000 miles on the odo we can't get even 28mpg under the same conditions. When we started noticing the loss of mpg we started taking extra precautions not to waste diesel but to no avail. This car is getting at least 10% less mileage at 7,000 miles than it did bran new. Anybody else experience this??

Steering Wheel Shake
By shakytouareg on 08/27/13 07:28 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought a 2013 Touareg TDI Lux a month ago and it has been in the shop for 17 days with an irreparable steering wheel oscillation. It is still in the shop. So far VWoA has advised the local dealer to try the following: road force balance all wheels, swap wheels from another car, change all four tire to Michelin Latitudes, replaced front drive shafts and replace steering rack. None have remedied the problem. Other owners have reported the exact same issue and have had difficulty getting satisfactory resolution. Search for "Touareg steering problem" to find more. Or go to ww.touaregsteeringshake.com. I don't any more hassle, I just want a new car.

I Do Have A Gripe!
By claudestouareg on 07/18/13 16:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Okay, we love this car. We researched the whole field of candidates and in the end there was no other choice to deliver this level of overall satisfaction: TDI=check, 8 speed tranny=check, full time all wheel drive=check, good value for money=check, excellent build quality=check, and so on. But as a tech geek I have an unrequited curiosity about the technical details of this car, particularly the drive train components. Such details are hard to come by from the manufacturer and that is just not right given the the level of sophistication and do-not-touch obscurity of traditionally accessible owner service points. It is disquieting to have your mechanic say "you can't change a light bulb"

2013 Touareg TDI 500 miles!
By 2013vwtdi on 05/10/13 11:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Folks, I just completed 500 miles on my new Touareg TDI and i am very impressed by the drive and handling of this vehicle. I have driven BMW X5 and even though the steering feel is lighter than on the X5, this one handles great. I did not expect this from VW. Just cover the VW batch, you feel you are in a Audi and any other German Vehicle. Layout is neat and clean. interior is plush and very comfortable driver position. I am counting that new vehicles have better reliability from VW, i will have to wait and see.

My best friend on the road..
By sumeet on 04/20/13 12:46 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Consumer reviews at Edmunds have been a factor in my decision making to purchase cars. I felt obliged to return this favor but was patient to write my first review. Now with 10000 miles driven on my new Touareg purchased last October , I am so happy with this SUV. To start with , simplified three levels of trim made it simple to determine which one fits my need ( X5 packages were so confusing). Driven it all over the bay area hilly terrain in wet and dry weather. The performance and handling is simply awesome. The torque makes highway merging and overtaking so easy. Its engine is super silent with stellar performance.It gives me about 29 mpg in 70/30 hwy/city. BTW, my daughter loves it too..

Love the handling of this SUV - fun to drive
By hhs2000 on 02/15/13 20:44 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This is my first diesel car. Boy, I love the torque. Didn't realize the modern diesel engine is so clean and quiet until I drove one. Fell in love with the diesel car. Had 1100 miles on it. With 70/30 hwy/local driving. I got avg 28 mgp. I test drove Audi Q5, MB ML350, GLK and VW Touareg. love the Q5 and Touareg. Sold on Touareg on room and power train and big fuel tank. I don't have to visit gas station as often. A full tank give me 700+ mile. I had to fill my Honda Pilot every 350 miles. I still own a 2007 Honda Pilot. Great reliable SUV. But in terms of driving experience. Honda can't compare with VW Touareg. Touareg is a Luxury SUV under a none-luxury badge. I like it.

Best SUV Diesel in North America that provides excellent gas mileage.
By flatbudget on 02/01/13 08:12 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Purchased my 2013 TDI LUX a week ago. Been very pleased with the truck. Traded both my 2005 F250 Powerstroke truck and my VW JSW TDI. The torque is phenomenal and it tows my 2005 Custom Laser Boat with 496 HO mercruiser stern drive. ~5000 lbs. boat and trailer combined. I love every feature this SUV offers. Towing my boat on Sport mode keeps the RPM in its maximum torque values. Again, another german engineering at its best. The mileage per gallon either towing or around town beats any gas engines out there. Reliability and longevity of a diesel is absolutely uncontested.

A Very Capable & Comfortable SUV
By jabteb on 01/26/13 05:10 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This is a very capable and comfortable SUV. TDI provides loads for power for effortless acceleration and cruising. On the road, it has great manners with precision steering and a nice road feel. In the snow and gunk 4 Motion provides super secruity. The 8 speed transmission is extremely smooth and when coupled with the TDI accelerates quickly to expressway cruising speeds. The ride is smooth and quiet with little cabin noise. Leather seating is fits the body like a glove. I only have 1500 miles on it but mileage is around 26 MPG real world with about 2/3 highway and 1/3 town. I've already seen the advertised 29 MPG on the highway and it isn't even broke in yet.

100% love it
By drivinitsoftly on 01/03/13 16:57 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

this car is a wonder to drive. it has tons of pickup for its size, and a luxurious feel. the brown leather is top notch. the sound system requires some updating, but the 25+mpg driving for me has been a savings vs my cross tour. I am happy every time I drive it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Touareg in VA is:

$133 per month*