Used 2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

2014 TDI R-Line
By mkcoach1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2014 Touareg R-Line in November and have driven it 3,600 miles of mixed highway and city driving. It is a great vehicle and has exceeded my expectations. The interior is very similar to my 2010 Porsche Cayenne that I drove for 3 years and very close to my wife's 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line. I am getting 26 miles to the gallon combined and the R-Line sport suspension is great fun to drive. Very comfortable seating for an old athlete that is 6'5" and it has very easy controls for navigation etc.

R-Line sporty suspension.

None.

Mixed Bag
By cpmariner

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Overall, this excellent car is very comfortable (plenty of room for a 6' 4" man), amazingly powerful, highly maneuverable, great fuel economy, and really fun to drive. My wife fell in love with it, and her Lexus 350 GS is rapidly gathering dust in the garage. However, at 3,000 miles I'm beginning to worry about reliability. The first to go was the power seat memory -recently fixed. More serious, though, is an intermittent "roaring" noise from under the hood. To me, it seems to be the engine cooling fan running at 100% for no apparent reason. But the dealer's techies are sure that it's power steering-related and requires no "fix". Sounds like code for "we don't know" to me. We'll see.

Torque! Takes off like a scalded cat. Very roomy, which is one reason I stopped looking at Asian models apparently designed for smaller folks. Very tight turning radius, especially great for parking lot maneuvering. Handles as well or better than my previous favorite, an Acura Legend Sport Coup, and that's saying something! Backup camera with its "where you're headed" tracking feature. Seat comfort provides lessened fatigue on long hauls. Fuel economy, of course. Exterior appearance a standout in class, especially in black. There are many other things I like about this vehicle, but all they want are "favorites", so I'll stop now.

Consider making backup proximity alarms standard equipment. An owner's handbook written specifically for this model rather than the "one size fits all" version provided would be nice. Get to the bottom of the "roaring" sound I mentioned, which appears to be fairly common, but with no solution. Consider eliminating the enhanced braking power just after starting up... it's quite a jolt if you forget to be ready for it, and seems to have little or no purpose. Redesign the console storage! Those V-shaped compartments don't provide for anything in particular (e.g., CDs), and lead to a jumble as bad as a woman's purse.

The Curious Case Of Diminishing Milage
By claudestouareg

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Our bran new 2013 Lux TDI gave us astonishing 33 mpg trips on secondary highways at around 60mph. Now with 7,000 miles on the odo we can't get even 28mpg under the same conditions. When we started noticing the loss of mpg we started taking extra precautions not to waste diesel but to no avail. This car is getting at least 10% less mileage at 7,000 miles than it did bran new. Anybody else experience this??

Love the car, engine, tranny, stability, composure. Five hundred mile, three stop day trips are not tiring. One is not overwhelmed with technology but everything important seems to be there and easy to use. It's just great to fill up in Atlanta, drive 280 miles to Savannah, drive around there for a week, drive back to Atlanta and fill up for the first time at the same station.

Can't VW tune out the disconcerting shimmy that sets up in the rear suspension when the car is coming out of a rough patch in the road (think rail road tracks, coming off a bridge back on to tarmac, etc.). We would have happily paid for air ride. The 8 speed tranny is wonderful, BUT, while coasting when there is slack in the drive train, shifts, especially downshifts from around 3rd to 2nd, occasionally have a weird jiggle that suggest that the shift could end badly. What's that all about?

Steering Wheel Shake
By shakytouareg

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought a 2013 Touareg TDI Lux a month ago and it has been in the shop for 17 days with an irreparable steering wheel oscillation. It is still in the shop. So far VWoA has advised the local dealer to try the following: road force balance all wheels, swap wheels from another car, change all four tire to Michelin Latitudes, replaced front drive shafts and replace steering rack. None have remedied the problem. Other owners have reported the exact same issue and have had difficulty getting satisfactory resolution. Search for "Touareg steering problem" to find more. Or go to ww.touaregsteeringshake.com. I don't any more hassle, I just want a new car.

Tasteful styling. Absence of cheap chromed plastic parts. No flashing light show on the dashboard. Solid construction.

This is a complex and expensive vehicle. VW needs to support the owners of this vehicle if they hope to have a viable entry in this market.

I Do Have A Gripe!
By claudestouareg

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Okay, we love this car. We researched the whole field of candidates and in the end there was no other choice to deliver this level of overall satisfaction: TDI=check, 8 speed tranny=check, full time all wheel drive=check, good value for money=check, excellent build quality=check, and so on. But as a tech geek I have an unrequited curiosity about the technical details of this car, particularly the drive train components. Such details are hard to come by from the manufacturer and that is just not right given the the level of sophistication and do-not-touch obscurity of traditionally accessible owner service points. It is disquieting to have your mechanic say "you can't change a light bulb"

Great no-frills real technology. I feel like I own a fighter jet.

Make a lot more information available to owners about the underlying technology of this car. Here I don't mean how the electronic frills work. I mean: how does this car work! Where is the brake fluid reservoir, for example. My VW mechanic was not sure! Calm my panic that nobody in America understands this car!