2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2013 Touareg Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Sort Reviews by

Exceptional SUV that won't let you down
By touareg13

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I don't like SUV's or "crossovers." They're slow, handle poorly and are simply boring to drive. This was my mindset until my wife's A4 broke down for the last time and the dealer gave us a Touareg loaner. I hadn't been familiar with the latest Touareg, but I was impressed immediately so we bought one. It looks great and is highly capable off road and in bad weather. We take ours for long roads trips around New England and its proven to be comfortable in Vermont blizzards, Maine logging roads and long stretches of interstate. Some may scoff at the high price for a VW but the fit and finish of the car is on par with any high end German car. Its a solid vehicle that's up for adventure.

Favorite Features

-powerful V6 with a nice grumbly exhaust -massive 29 gallon tank is great for long distance driving -very ,very capable off road and in bad weather with the correct tires -handsome, beautiful interior. -built in air compressor -comfortable and quiet ride -hyrdraulic steering and sport suspension actually make it fun to drive. -great 8 speed transmission

Suggested Improvements

-for the $44k base model we choose we would've liked to see a few more standard features like a sunroof and/or sat-nav -the last generation Touareg and some great features like locking differentials and adjustable suspension. It would be great to see these in an "off road" package from VW.

2014 TDI R-Line
By mkcoach1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2014 Touareg R-Line in November and have driven it 3,600 miles of mixed highway and city driving. It is a great vehicle and has exceeded my expectations. The interior is very similar to my 2010 Porsche Cayenne that I drove for 3 years and very close to my wife's 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line. I am getting 26 miles to the gallon combined and the R-Line sport suspension is great fun to drive. Very comfortable seating for an old athlete that is 6'5" and it has very easy controls for navigation etc.

Favorite Features

R-Line sporty suspension.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Best Diesel SUV for the money
By pops24

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought the 2013 VW Tuareg TDI. I am a car adjuster and I know the automotive field very well. The TDI is by far the best diesel SUV for the money. Has probably one of the best overall quality interiors and the driving performance is out of this world for a 6 cylinder and has a very quiet diesel engine. zzzzz The 2013 VW Tuareg is the best kept secret... till my review.

Favorite Features

The interior is the best in is class and Im comparing with SUVs over $60K. BMW or Mercedes are far behind even Land rover interior lacks design vs the Tuareg. Compare all the options you really need and you see for your self. The navigation screen is exceptional big and 3D. The power of the engine makes you feel that you are driving a sports car. Handling is awesome. The panoramic roof is a must see. Rear camera just to the point. Cargo area friendly.

Suggested Improvements

More standard futures such as luggage rack cross rails and trailing package. Estimated to add both over $1500. More sporty front end. Looks like an underdog till you drive it.

Exceeded Expectations
By johndb59

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Traded in my '11 Cayenne S. I would say the VW is 90% of the Porsche for about 60% of the price. Actually, I like the slightly simpler interior and the easier ingress/egress from the seats. Feels substantial and drives really well. Quality seems very high. Nice car to fly around without attracting a lot of attention. Excellent fuel economy and you truly can't tell its a diesel.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, dashboard layout, quietness and comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Haven't had it long enough to notice any shortcomings. Rear visibility is a little poor because of the rear seat headrests, but, superior to the Cayenne in this regard,

NICE CAR, BUT GET A RAIN COAT
By michael_a1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Volkswagen just settled a class action lawsuit because many of their vehicles with factory sunroofs leaks in earlier production cars. Apparently they still have not fixed the problem with the touareg. I have been to the dealer for the problem to get repaired and they claimed it was fixed and it was not. Off to the dealer again. Wouldn't it be better if they just corrected the issue. Anyway, it is a nice car, but I certainly don't think it is worth the problems. I would certainly look at other cars in its class unless you want to bunk out at the service department the first year you own the car.

Favorite Features

Nice looking, safe and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the leaks in your cars, and maybe you would get return customers.

2014 Touareg TDI Exec.
By tappedout1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

3000 miles in thirty days. Meets or exceeds expectations. Mixed highway and city driving nets 26mpg. Only trip of 1000 miles got 29 mph but highway speeds were 75mph plus. Compared to Porsche Cayenne diesel, no different except $25k less!

Favorite Features

Tech package, comfort and convenience. Great performance.

Suggested Improvements

Availability of more aftermarket accessories.

Mixed Bag
By cpmariner

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Overall, this excellent car is very comfortable (plenty of room for a 6' 4" man), amazingly powerful, highly maneuverable, great fuel economy, and really fun to drive. My wife fell in love with it, and her Lexus 350 GS is rapidly gathering dust in the garage. However, at 3,000 miles I'm beginning to worry about reliability. The first to go was the power seat memory -recently fixed. More serious, though, is an intermittent "roaring" noise from under the hood. To me, it seems to be the engine cooling fan running at 100% for no apparent reason. But the dealer's techies are sure that it's power steering-related and requires no "fix". Sounds like code for "we don't know" to me. We'll see.

Favorite Features

Torque! Takes off like a scalded cat. Very roomy, which is one reason I stopped looking at Asian models apparently designed for smaller folks. Very tight turning radius, especially great for parking lot maneuvering. Handles as well or better than my previous favorite, an Acura Legend Sport Coup, and that's saying something! Backup camera with its "where you're headed" tracking feature. Seat comfort provides lessened fatigue on long hauls. Fuel economy, of course. Exterior appearance a standout in class, especially in black. There are many other things I like about this vehicle, but all they want are "favorites", so I'll stop now.

Suggested Improvements

Consider making backup proximity alarms standard equipment. An owner's handbook written specifically for this model rather than the "one size fits all" version provided would be nice. Get to the bottom of the "roaring" sound I mentioned, which appears to be fairly common, but with no solution. Consider eliminating the enhanced braking power just after starting up... it's quite a jolt if you forget to be ready for it, and seems to have little or no purpose. Redesign the console storage! Those V-shaped compartments don't provide for anything in particular (e.g., CDs), and lead to a jumble as bad as a woman's purse.

The Curious Case Of Diminishing Milage
By claudestouareg

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Our bran new 2013 Lux TDI gave us astonishing 33 mpg trips on secondary highways at around 60mph. Now with 7,000 miles on the odo we can't get even 28mpg under the same conditions. When we started noticing the loss of mpg we started taking extra precautions not to waste diesel but to no avail. This car is getting at least 10% less mileage at 7,000 miles than it did bran new. Anybody else experience this??

Favorite Features

Love the car, engine, tranny, stability, composure. Five hundred mile, three stop day trips are not tiring. One is not overwhelmed with technology but everything important seems to be there and easy to use. It's just great to fill up in Atlanta, drive 280 miles to Savannah, drive around there for a week, drive back to Atlanta and fill up for the first time at the same station.

Suggested Improvements

Can't VW tune out the disconcerting shimmy that sets up in the rear suspension when the car is coming out of a rough patch in the road (think rail road tracks, coming off a bridge back on to tarmac, etc.). We would have happily paid for air ride. The 8 speed tranny is wonderful, BUT, while coasting when there is slack in the drive train, shifts, especially downshifts from around 3rd to 2nd, occasionally have a weird jiggle that suggest that the shift could end badly. What's that all about?

Still a great SUV choice for those who tow.
By toolmanjohn

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Just around 8300 miles on my Touareg TDI, and I haven't had any real problems with the vehicle. It handles like a sedan, plenty of power, and the brakes are fantastic. Mileage is better than I was hoping. THe 20mpg city would have been great, but I get 22-23 mpg consistently with a 20 mile round trip commute each day. It's VERY quiet, and this may be because the transmission shifts around 2250rpm, so the diesel nevers really works hard. This past Summer it towed my small travel trailer like it wasn't there. Easily pulls on the highway and back roads.

Favorite Features

So far my favorite feature is the REST button during cold weather. Having the car warm after being in a store for 10-15 minutes is great. Hands free bluetooth works great, and the NAV system integrated with the large touchscreen display is also fantastic, way better than the Garmin and TomTom units I am used to.

Suggested Improvements

There are a few places that VW SHOULD change!! The seat is too long by about an inch, as it does touch the back of my calves at the knee. It is an annoyance, but I cannot grow taller to remedy the problem. ALSO the headrest is not adjustable forward/backward in the base model Sport !! Cheap. The Power seat has a MANUAL lumbar lever. Cheap. The audio quality stinks. This is either the speakers or their placement. The factory installed stereo in my mothers 2003 Corolla sounds better.

Steering wheel shake
By shakes1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased a slightly used 2013 VW Touareg VR6 LUX approx. 4 weeks ago. Upon driving home from the dealer I noticed that between the speeds of 60 and 75 mph the steering wheel would shake back and forth. This was confirmed over many miles and all types of road surfaces. The car would also pull to the right as well as exhibit a vibration in the seat. The car has now spent 3 weeks at the dealer and after approx. 20 tires and countless road force balancing the issue still exists. VW, in an apparent attempt to limit their liability, is blaming the tires. They now refuse to attempt any more repairs and have told me to pick the car up. They acknowledge the issue to still to be present.

Favorite Features

Styling and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Come clean with the owners who are experiencing the steering wheel shake. Stop trying to band aid with tires and hope they go away until their warranties run out. Man up and fix the problem or if unable to repair then do the right thing and refund or replace.