Used 2013 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Love this vehicle
By Bruce Webster

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

VW needs to sort out the diesel issue! Soon!!

Flawed Beauty
By Alemaine

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Review is for my 2013 TDI LUX:
Took a while due to its numerous quirks, but I love this vehicle. This vehicle has a personality; the way you're zany friend has personality, the one with the full lips and incredible body. The athletic one who can beat you to the top of the hill in a foot race without breathing hard, and best you in a swim out to the old raft moored in the middle of the lake. However, this friend will sometime confuse Thursday for Friday, or give you the wrong time and the wrong address for the party thrown in your honor, tell you they absolutely can install the new software upgrade you need, and on the day tell you they don't have it and you don't really need it. But hey, isn't this a beautiful day? In other words, ...the entertainment system is pretty dismal. Most of it works albeit a little clumsily. Streaming music via bluetooth works well with Android an iphones, but what a pain in the ass to connect an ipod; it's like 6 steps, and 6 more steps as soon as you turn the engine off. counterintuitively, you do this through the PHONE soft keys. And your HDD and SD inputs store music alphabetically, and there is no way around that other than to mix. This means you cannot listen to albums in original order. You cannot search for artists or genres or albums, but only for songs, and then limited to just the 5 listed on the scroll bar on the touch screen. If you have an extensive collection of tunes, you won't be saying, "Hey, I'm gonna play "Black Dog" by Zeppelin," because there's no way to find it. No itunes interface, no play lists or any kind, just the very strubborn German rule of A-Z only. Don't understand why VW doesn't get the importance of this kind of thing, but they don't. Also, the amplifier is vastly underpowered and the speakers are below average for what in all other aspects is a luxury vehicle. I spent $800 on an after-market amp, and I'm very happy now with the sound. Not over the moon estatic, but very happy. So, I like my friend, but some days I wish they were more thoughtful and less selfish and would actively search for ways to make nice and try harder to gain my admiration. On the other hand, my friend is very good at what they're good at, such as:
The fit and finish is superb. Solid. Touareg LOVES it some highway. Quiet Very surefooted in the rain and snow. Warms up quickly. Wonderful torque. Extremely comfortable seats front and rear, lots of leg room. Corn silk beige in mine is beautiful, easy to clean. Decent gas mileage. Current price for diesal at Costco is $1.83 a gallon. Range is almost 700 miles to a tank. Car is understated but beautiful. Deisal engine should last half a million miles, if California and the EPA lets me keep it. Yeah, I coulda bought a Lexus or a Merecedes, but I don't think I'd be this enamored.

Exceptional SUV that won't let you down
By touareg13

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I don't like SUV's or "crossovers." They're slow, handle poorly and are simply boring to drive. This was my mindset until my wife's A4 broke down for the last time and the dealer gave us a Touareg loaner. I hadn't been familiar with the latest Touareg, but I was impressed immediately so we bought one. It looks great and is highly capable off road and in bad weather. We take ours for long roads trips around New England and its proven to be comfortable in Vermont blizzards, Maine logging roads and long stretches of interstate. Some may scoff at the high price for a VW but the fit and finish of the car is on par with any high end German car. Its a solid vehicle that's up for adventure.

-powerful V6 with a nice grumbly exhaust -massive 29 gallon tank is great for long distance driving -very ,very capable off road and in bad weather with the correct tires -handsome, beautiful interior. -built in air compressor -comfortable and quiet ride -hyrdraulic steering and sport suspension actually make it fun to drive. -great 8 speed transmission

-for the $44k base model we choose we would've liked to see a few more standard features like a sunroof and/or sat-nav -the last generation Touareg and some great features like locking differentials and adjustable suspension. It would be great to see these in an "off road" package from VW.

2014 TDI R-Line
By mkcoach1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2014 Touareg R-Line in November and have driven it 3,600 miles of mixed highway and city driving. It is a great vehicle and has exceeded my expectations. The interior is very similar to my 2010 Porsche Cayenne that I drove for 3 years and very close to my wife's 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line. I am getting 26 miles to the gallon combined and the R-Line sport suspension is great fun to drive. Very comfortable seating for an old athlete that is 6'5" and it has very easy controls for navigation etc.

R-Line sporty suspension.

None.

Best Diesel SUV for the money
By pops24

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought the 2013 VW Tuareg TDI. I am a car adjuster and I know the automotive field very well.
The TDI is by far the best diesel SUV for the money. Has probably one of the best overall quality interiors and the driving performance is out of this world for a 6 cylinder and has a very quiet diesel engine. zzzzz

The 2013 VW Tuareg is the best kept secret... till my review.

The interior is the best in is class and Im comparing with SUVs over $60K. BMW or Mercedes are far behind even Land rover interior lacks design vs the Tuareg. Compare all the options you really need and you see for your self. The navigation screen is exceptional big and 3D. The power of the engine makes you feel that you are driving a sports car. Handling is awesome. The panoramic roof is a must see. Rear camera just to the point. Cargo area friendly.

More standard futures such as luggage rack cross rails and trailing package. Estimated to add both over $1500. More sporty front end. Looks like an underdog till you drive it.