2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
2014 TDI R-Line
By mkcoach1 on 12/17/14 08:14 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2014 Touareg R-Line in November and have driven it 3,600 miles of mixed highway and city driving. It is a great vehicle and has exceeded my expectations. The interior is very similar to my 2010 Porsche Cayenne that I drove for 3 years and very close to my wife's 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line. I am getting 26 miles to the gallon combined and the R-Line sport suspension is great fun to drive. Very comfortable seating for an old athlete that is 6'5" and it has very easy controls for navigation etc.

Best Diesel SUV for the money
By pops24 on 11/27/14 05:42 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought the 2013 VW Tuareg TDI. I am a car adjuster and I know the automotive field very well. The TDI is by far the best diesel SUV for the money. Has probably one of the best overall quality interiors and the driving performance is out of this world for a 6 cylinder and has a very quiet diesel engine. zzzzz The 2013 VW Tuareg is the best kept secret... till my review.

NICE CAR, BUT GET A RAIN COAT
By michael_a1 on 09/22/14 19:07 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Volkswagen just settled a class action lawsuit because many of their vehicles with factory sunroofs leaks in earlier production cars. Apparently they still have not fixed the problem with the touareg. I have been to the dealer for the problem to get repaired and they claimed it was fixed and it was not. Off to the dealer again. Wouldn't it be better if they just corrected the issue. Anyway, it is a nice car, but I certainly don't think it is worth the problems. I would certainly look at other cars in its class unless you want to bunk out at the service department the first year you own the car.

2014 Touareg TDI Exec.
By tappedout1 on 03/05/14 12:55 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

3000 miles in thirty days. Meets or exceeds expectations. Mixed highway and city driving nets 26mpg. Only trip of 1000 miles got 29 mph but highway speeds were 75mph plus. Compared to Porsche Cayenne diesel, no different except $25k less!

Mixed Bag
By cpmariner on 02/06/14 11:25 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Overall, this excellent car is very comfortable (plenty of room for a 6' 4" man), amazingly powerful, highly maneuverable, great fuel economy, and really fun to drive. My wife fell in love with it, and her Lexus 350 GS is rapidly gathering dust in the garage. However, at 3,000 miles I'm beginning to worry about reliability. The first to go was the power seat memory -recently fixed. More serious, though, is an intermittent "roaring" noise from under the hood. To me, it seems to be the engine cooling fan running at 100% for no apparent reason. But the dealer's techies are sure that it's power steering-related and requires no "fix". Sounds like code for "we don't know" to me. We'll see.

The Curious Case Of Diminishing Milage
By claudestouareg on 01/26/14 06:22 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Our bran new 2013 Lux TDI gave us astonishing 33 mpg trips on secondary highways at around 60mph. Now with 7,000 miles on the odo we can't get even 28mpg under the same conditions. When we started noticing the loss of mpg we started taking extra precautions not to waste diesel but to no avail. This car is getting at least 10% less mileage at 7,000 miles than it did bran new. Anybody else experience this??

Still a great SUV choice for those who tow.
By toolmanjohn on 11/23/13 11:06 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Just around 8300 miles on my Touareg TDI, and I haven't had any real problems with the vehicle. It handles like a sedan, plenty of power, and the brakes are fantastic. Mileage is better than I was hoping. THe 20mpg city would have been great, but I get 22-23 mpg consistently with a 20 mile round trip commute each day. It's VERY quiet, and this may be because the transmission shifts around 2250rpm, so the diesel nevers really works hard. This past Summer it towed my small travel trailer like it wasn't there. Easily pulls on the highway and back roads.

Steering wheel shake
By shakes1 on 09/28/13 14:19 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased a slightly used 2013 VW Touareg VR6 LUX approx. 4 weeks ago. Upon driving home from the dealer I noticed that between the speeds of 60 and 75 mph the steering wheel would shake back and forth. This was confirmed over many miles and all types of road surfaces. The car would also pull to the right as well as exhibit a vibration in the seat. The car has now spent 3 weeks at the dealer and after approx. 20 tires and countless road force balancing the issue still exists. VW, in an apparent attempt to limit their liability, is blaming the tires. They now refuse to attempt any more repairs and have told me to pick the car up. They acknowledge the issue to still to be present.

Steering Wheel Shake
By shakytouareg on 08/27/13 07:28 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought a 2013 Touareg TDI Lux a month ago and it has been in the shop for 17 days with an irreparable steering wheel oscillation. It is still in the shop. So far VWoA has advised the local dealer to try the following: road force balance all wheels, swap wheels from another car, change all four tire to Michelin Latitudes, replaced front drive shafts and replace steering rack. None have remedied the problem. Other owners have reported the exact same issue and have had difficulty getting satisfactory resolution. Search for "Touareg steering problem" to find more. Or go to ww.touaregsteeringshake.com. I don't any more hassle, I just want a new car.

Great SUV desperately needs air suspension
By clarkg on 08/01/13 13:30 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This is my 3rd T-reg and will be my last - I previously had the Lux version but decided to move up to the Executive - this changed the rim size to 20" from the Lux's 19" - just this 1" taller rim harshened the ride considerably to a point that passengers in the back seat went airborne over any large bump - I had test driven a Cayenne diesel with air suspension before purchasing the Executive - it had a pleasing controlled ride on rough streets - a similarly equipped Cayenne diesel bites 6 figures fully loaded so the Executive is a relative bargain - I hope that VW will once again offer air suspension as an option on the T-reg since the large majority are street driven

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Touareg in VA is:

$129 per month*