Used 2013 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Exceptional SUV that won't let you down
By touareg13

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I don't like SUV's or "crossovers." They're slow, handle poorly and are simply boring to drive. This was my mindset until my wife's A4 broke down for the last time and the dealer gave us a Touareg loaner. I hadn't been familiar with the latest Touareg, but I was impressed immediately so we bought one. It looks great and is highly capable off road and in bad weather. We take ours for long roads trips around New England and its proven to be comfortable in Vermont blizzards, Maine logging roads and long stretches of interstate. Some may scoff at the high price for a VW but the fit and finish of the car is on par with any high end German car. Its a solid vehicle that's up for adventure.

-powerful V6 with a nice grumbly exhaust -massive 29 gallon tank is great for long distance driving -very ,very capable off road and in bad weather with the correct tires -handsome, beautiful interior. -built in air compressor -comfortable and quiet ride -hyrdraulic steering and sport suspension actually make it fun to drive. -great 8 speed transmission

-for the $44k base model we choose we would've liked to see a few more standard features like a sunroof and/or sat-nav -the last generation Touareg and some great features like locking differentials and adjustable suspension. It would be great to see these in an "off road" package from VW.

2014 TDI R-Line
By mkcoach1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2014 Touareg R-Line in November and have driven it 3,600 miles of mixed highway and city driving. It is a great vehicle and has exceeded my expectations. The interior is very similar to my 2010 Porsche Cayenne that I drove for 3 years and very close to my wife's 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line. I am getting 26 miles to the gallon combined and the R-Line sport suspension is great fun to drive. Very comfortable seating for an old athlete that is 6'5" and it has very easy controls for navigation etc.

R-Line sporty suspension.

None.

Best Diesel SUV for the money
By pops24

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought the 2013 VW Tuareg TDI. I am a car adjuster and I know the automotive field very well. The TDI is by far the best diesel SUV for the money. Has probably one of the best overall quality interiors and the driving performance is out of this world for a 6 cylinder and has a very quiet diesel engine. zzzzz The 2013 VW Tuareg is the best kept secret... till my review.

The interior is the best in is class and Im comparing with SUVs over $60K. BMW or Mercedes are far behind even Land rover interior lacks design vs the Tuareg. Compare all the options you really need and you see for your self. The navigation screen is exceptional big and 3D. The power of the engine makes you feel that you are driving a sports car. Handling is awesome. The panoramic roof is a must see. Rear camera just to the point. Cargo area friendly.

More standard futures such as luggage rack cross rails and trailing package. Estimated to add both over $1500. More sporty front end. Looks like an underdog till you drive it.

Exceeded Expectations
By johndb59

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Traded in my '11 Cayenne S. I would say the VW is 90% of the Porsche for about 60% of the price. Actually, I like the slightly simpler interior and the easier ingress/egress from the seats. Feels substantial and drives really well. Quality seems very high. Nice car to fly around without attracting a lot of attention. Excellent fuel economy and you truly can't tell its a diesel.

Fuel economy, dashboard layout, quietness and comfortable seats.

Haven't had it long enough to notice any shortcomings. Rear visibility is a little poor because of the rear seat headrests, but, superior to the Cayenne in this regard,

NICE CAR, BUT GET A RAIN COAT
By michael_a1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Volkswagen just settled a class action lawsuit because many of their vehicles with factory sunroofs leaks in earlier production cars. Apparently they still have not fixed the problem with the touareg. I have been to the dealer for the problem to get repaired and they claimed it was fixed and it was not. Off to the dealer again. Wouldn't it be better if they just corrected the issue. Anyway, it is a nice car, but I certainly don't think it is worth the problems. I would certainly look at other cars in its class unless you want to bunk out at the service department the first year you own the car.

Nice looking, safe and handles well.

Fix the leaks in your cars, and maybe you would get return customers.