My first and last VW
By jmay1 on
2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)
I traded in my 2007 Volvo XC90 for the 2012 Touareg TDI and, 7 months later, I am trading it in with only 8400 miles on it. Since I bought it in September of 2011, I have had it in for service 6 times (AdBlue pump issues, check engine light has come on many times and the brakes squeal when in reverse). I love the styling, comfort and gas mileage, but it's just not worth the headache and trips to the service department. I would have thought for what I paid for it, it would have been better in it's class. I chose this over the Audi Q5 and the BMW X3 (which cost less) and I couldn't be more disappointed.
Favorite Features
Interior styling, comfort, panoramic sunroof, navigation system, backseat and rear space.
By sandiego2012
on 08/05/12 15:22 PM (PDT)

My 2012 Touareg TDI had the check engine light come on at 800, 2000 and 3100 miles -- all for the same phantom issue with the AdBlue system. Nothing is actually wrong, but the light comes on, and VW has no idea why or how to fix it. One more time and it'll be time for either a new car or my money back under California's lemon law. This is a huge shame: I love the car in every way, and it has exceeded my expectations as my first-choice for a new car. But the hassle and, mostly, no way to fix the nuisance problem make it a likely goner.

By treg23
on 01/15/13 12:56 PM (PST)

Bought my TDI in July 2012 and have put on 20,000 Kms since (now Jan. 2013) AdBlue system replaced at about 12,000 Kms and re-flashed since due to bad odour in the vehicle. Has been good since. Also replaced all stereo amplifiers. Fog lights may or may not come on at start up and blink on and off going over railway tracks. Steering wheel sometimes finds a new position over night. Seat memory functions don't really function. Electrical problems seem abundant. Great car but certainly not hassle free. VW definitely needs to work on quality control!!

By lukay
on 04/13/12 04:40 AM (PDT)

Yes - the AdBlue is an issue. The AdBlue warning indicator came on my 2012 with less than 700 miles. Dealer said it was not filled when delivered to me and apologized; came on again after tank was "filled". Dealer said 1) the AdBlue indicator had to be manually reset on the 2012s, which they didn't do the first time I brought it in, and 2) they performed a software update to the AdBlue system according to a new service bulletin just out and apologized again. Only time will tell if the problem is solved.