Used 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

2012 Touareg TDI Exec
By treg23

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Traded in my beloved "05 V8 Exec on this 2012 TDI Exec in July 2012. Have logged lots of seat time accumulating almost 20,000 Kms. Overall this is a very good and very capable vehicle but this one seems was seemingly built by an Slovakian on a Friday afternoon.

The TDI engine and the 8 speed transmission are the high lights of this SUV. It is much quicker and smoother in every aspect than I had anticipated. Speed is deceptive and it is best to use the cruise control on the highway. In passing, highly illegal speeds are never far away. Love it! Seats are initially very hard but are comfy after breaking in. Nav package is first rate and easy to use. It handles remarkably well given it size and weight. Stereo system kills the Bose in my wife's 2011 G37

The anti slip system takes too long to cut in on icy surfaces. The back end will slide around significantly without reacting to the car sliding across the ice. No grab handle in the door arm rest requires grabbing the window sill when opening the door. The proximity alarm sounds are annoying! Cruise control on same stalk as the turn signal is hard to get used to. Seat memory settings do not stay set. Steering wheel will move to a new position over night. Will not learn garage door code So far - AdBlue system, all stereo amps replaced, fog lights flicker over bumps or dont come on at all. Make sure you have a very good dealer if buying on of these!!!

Six Weeks with Hilda -Touareg TDI
By talone

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Six weeks ago I purchased a new black 2012 Touareg. I named the vehicle "Hilda" and I must say this girl is well built, fun to drive, has a great motor and impresses all who ride with her. Originally I planned to purchase a gas Tourareg, but after taking the diesel out for a drive I was hooked. I fell in love with Hilda and how smoothly and quickly she travels down the highway and navigates city streets. Hilda embraced my 6'-6" frame as no other SUV I have ever driven. Hilda is a pricey vehicle, but fine cars like fine women don't come cheap. In the case of Hilda she has performed exceptionally well. I have noticed many a man look at Hilda with lust in their eyes. WHAT A GREAT CAR!!!

Large and very adjustable seats Powerful, smooth and fuel efficient diesel engine Great looking interior

On a $50 K vehicle memory seats should be standard equipment.

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned
By jurgenk

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 10/11 (3.0L 6cyl S/C gas/electric hybrid 8A)

I wanted a mid size SUV to accomodate our growing family, but also wanted to preserve some of the fun-factor of driving. I test drove the gas and diesel ML series, and found that while its a beautiful and luxurious truck (Merc has done a great job with the evolution of the exterior and interior) it was a little slow and a little sloppy in handling compared to the others. The X5 looked awesome and is the standard bearer in terms of ride, but was too common and too expensive. The Cayenne S is equally fun but fuel thirsty and expensive. The Touareg was luxurious and crisp handling, the hybrid was extremely well-powered, and the slight improvement in efficiency a welcome bonus.

0 - 60 mph in 5.9 seconds Huge amounts of torque from supercharged 3L engine Minimal roll on corners Ability to sail on highway and run on battery only Interior tasteful and luxurious, does not try too hard Technologically well-integrated -- connected to iPhone via bluetooth and was off and running in 20 seconds, with screen displays and playback controls, album art, and of course phone and voice activated commands. Fast and easy to read 3D navigation system

Transitions between hybrid and turbo engine are not transparent but not jarring -- but this will be true on the $90-110K Cayenne S Hybrid and Panamera S Hybrids which share the same exact powertrain and specifications This is clearly designed for performance and not fuel efficiency. So don't expect Prius performance, but you can get 27-29 MPG in stop and go traffic with a little discipline (by my experience and professional reviewers) which is amazing considering its pushing 5135 lbs around. And don't expect to recover the added cost of the hybrid drivetrain--its just faster and more fun Stock 19" wheels are boring. 20-21" wheels require no modifications but improve handling and look a lot

My first and last VW
By jmay1

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I traded in my 2007 Volvo XC90 for the 2012 Touareg TDI and, 7 months later, I am trading it in with only 8400 miles on it. Since I bought it in September of 2011, I have had it in for service 6 times (AdBlue pump issues, check engine light has come on many times and the brakes squeal when in reverse). I love the styling, comfort and gas mileage, but it's just not worth the headache and trips to the service department. I would have thought for what I paid for it, it would have been better in it's class. I chose this over the Audi Q5 and the BMW X3 (which cost less) and I couldn't be more disappointed.

Interior styling, comfort, panoramic sunroof, navigation system, backseat and rear space.

Very satisfied
By steve41

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Traded a troublesome 09 BMW X5 diesel. Could not be happier. The new body looks like a Cayenne, (had a Cayenne prior to the X5), and the interior is very nice. Handling is great; mileage will hopefully improve from 26,27. I hope to get 29, as I did with the X5. Touch screen with phone interface, nav with traffic,sirius xm is very nice and easy to use. Good sound system. Feels solid and hopefully will be a good ride for a long time. 2700 miles to date.

NAV, phone interface, sirius xm, great power, quiet on the highway. Great looking! Interior is very upscale and the LED driving lights really show off this vehicle. Very high quality. Feels like my Cayenne did.

The key sometimes does not want to come out. getting used to it, but really the only issue I have.