2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Extremely disappointed - not recommended
By sk14msk on 11/18/13 19:48 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 10/11 (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2012 Toureg certified used with 12k miles on it. The steering wheel shakes at 65-75 mph and I took my car back to the dealer two times already. Every time they returned the car to me, they said the problem has been fixed. New tires, alignment, nothing is helping. There are numerous other VW Touareg drivers out there who are as disappointed as I am. The steering wheel shake makes longer trips very uncomfortable. I am extremely unhappy with this car.

My First Toureg TDI w/lux package
By aakdeniz on 11/18/11 12:21 PM (PST)

I have been driving BMWs for the last 25 years including an X5, I was on my way to get a 2012 X5 and decided to checkout the Toureg on my way to BMW dealership. I am well aware of the latest technologies especially on BMWs. Well guess what? I was so impressed with the Diesel Toureg with Lux package that I ended up buying one that day. Gas milage, technology options, safety features, interior room and the feel of driving is impressive (i am getting 30mph highway, 24 city and 26.7 combined). Make no mistake- for almost $18k less than a comparative BMW X5, this car is the best buy from every perspective. Dealer experience was as good as a BMW dealership. The car is perfect after 2k of driving

Disappointing From The Start
By clarkg on 11/08/11 14:48 PM (PST)

My 2012 Touareg Lux TDI has been a disappointment as compared to the 2010 Touareg TDI I owned previously. The key/fob ignition system is a huge step backwards in convenience from the keyless start system. Unless you want to spend an additional $5K for the "Executive" version I have found the key fob gizmo in my 2012 "Lux" model as very difficult to operate properly. Upon stopping the engine the key fob cannot be removed from the dash socket about 50% of the time so I have to jockey the start/stop engine function until it can be extracted. If VW engineers were trying to prevent theft they actually have enhanced it as when the fob is stuck anyone can hop in and drive off.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel in NJ is:

$232 per month*