Used 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Great Vehicle
By clockit4

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I am very impressed with this vehicle. I have a two Bmw X 5's in the past, and this vehicle is of equal or slightly better quality. I cannot stand rattles in a vehicle and this Touareg posses no rattles whatsoever. Very stable over bumps and railroad tracks. I love the gas mileage the TDI offers. The navigation system is the best I have seen in any vehicle. Love the posted speed limits shown on screen. Touareg currently has 29,000 miles on the odometer.

Favorite Features

I love the technology the car offers.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a more aggressive stylish front fascia. The back and sides of vehicle look very sharp but the front is very plain Jane. I would like to see adaptive cruise control (Distronic) offered as well.

Disaster...love the car, but 10 service calls??
By lastvw

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This has been a nightmare. I have been back to the dealer 10 times with check engine light issues and ad blue issues. brakes squeal in reverse. tires very hard to balance. great car...but I don't have the time for the service....if you buy one, must buy the extended warranty (3rd party).

Favorite Features

handling, gas mileage, solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

the reliability is horrible. Had a NOC sensor and ad blue issues within 1500 miles of each other. I don't have a car valet so this takes way too much time.

2 years and 30,000 miles
By fordecoboost

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Quite possibly the best vehicle I have owned and this covers GM, Chrysler, Ford, Austin Healy 3000, Volvo. Volkswagen Group(Porsche & Audi). (Ford F 150ecoboost not included, The Beast). Fuel Mileage is as advertised...20-29mpg overall. 2(2 -5,800 mile rt's from California to Ohio, via southern and northern routes[28.5mpg avg. Speed to 105mph]. Tire wear(Pirelli) is at the half way point, brake pads are at 9mm. Vehicle speed control maintains speed when ascending long grades(ie, New Mexico and Arizona)Not true when decending. Was given a rather late model Infinity SUV while waiting on delivery of Vdub. What a joke! Like a buckboard with confusing controls. 6 inch watery marsh, no problem.

Favorite Features

Engine view. Sound system. Vista View roof. Seat positioning. Sic Torque when Turbo diesel spins up. Cornering. Seating position. Shift lever position. Parking.

Suggested Improvements

Gps map view does not come up to standards as those on my previous vehicle. F150 W/sony system, although it will get you to your destination. Cutain will not close with Vista Roof open as 2009 Tiguan would.

Extremely disappointed - not recommended
By sk14msk

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 10/11 (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2012 Toureg certified used with 12k miles on it. The steering wheel shakes at 65-75 mph and I took my car back to the dealer two times already. Every time they returned the car to me, they said the problem has been fixed. New tires, alignment, nothing is helping. There are numerous other VW Touareg drivers out there who are as disappointed as I am. The steering wheel shake makes longer trips very uncomfortable. I am extremely unhappy with this car.

Favorite Features

Besides the problems mentioned above, this would be a really fun car. Very fuel efficient for an SUV, good interior space, fun luxury car.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to either find a way to find to fix this problem or admit that this car has a major issue and offer their clients an acceptable solution. Otherwise I might just have to get a Hyundai.

2012 Touareg TDI Exec
By treg23

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Traded in my beloved "05 V8 Exec on this 2012 TDI Exec in July 2012. Have logged lots of seat time accumulating almost 20,000 Kms. Overall this is a very good and very capable vehicle but this one seems was seemingly built by an Slovakian on a Friday afternoon.

Favorite Features

The TDI engine and the 8 speed transmission are the high lights of this SUV. It is much quicker and smoother in every aspect than I had anticipated. Speed is deceptive and it is best to use the cruise control on the highway. In passing, highly illegal speeds are never far away. Love it! Seats are initially very hard but are comfy after breaking in. Nav package is first rate and easy to use. It handles remarkably well given it size and weight. Stereo system kills the Bose in my wife's 2011 G37

Suggested Improvements

The anti slip system takes too long to cut in on icy surfaces. The back end will slide around significantly without reacting to the car sliding across the ice. No grab handle in the door arm rest requires grabbing the window sill when opening the door. The proximity alarm sounds are annoying! Cruise control on same stalk as the turn signal is hard to get used to. Seat memory settings do not stay set. Steering wheel will move to a new position over night. Will not learn garage door code So far - AdBlue system, all stereo amps replaced, fog lights flicker over bumps or dont come on at all. Make sure you have a very good dealer if buying on of these!!!