2012 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
2 years and 30,000 miles
By fordecoboost on 03/17/14 15:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Quite possibly the best vehicle I have owned and this covers GM, Chrysler, Ford, Austin Healy 3000, Volvo. Volkswagen Group(Porsche & Audi). (Ford F 150ecoboost not included, The Beast). Fuel Mileage is as advertised...20-29mpg overall. 2(2 -5,800 mile rt's from California to Ohio, via southern and northern routes[28.5mpg avg. Speed to 105mph]. Tire wear(Pirelli) is at the half way point, brake pads are at 9mm. Vehicle speed control maintains speed when ascending long grades(ie, New Mexico and Arizona)Not true when decending. Was given a rather late model Infinity SUV while waiting on delivery of Vdub. What a joke! Like a buckboard with confusing controls. 6 inch watery marsh, no problem.

Extremely disappointed - not recommended
By sk14msk on 11/18/13 19:48 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 10/11 (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2012 Toureg certified used with 12k miles on it. The steering wheel shakes at 65-75 mph and I took my car back to the dealer two times already. Every time they returned the car to me, they said the problem has been fixed. New tires, alignment, nothing is helping. There are numerous other VW Touareg drivers out there who are as disappointed as I am. The steering wheel shake makes longer trips very uncomfortable. I am extremely unhappy with this car.

Do NOT buy this SUV if you live where the wind blows!
By geophyz on 04/11/13 13:17 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 10/11 (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I have had my beautiful Touareg for a little over a year. The colour is lovely, I love the leather seats and the basic layout. The car gets good gas mileage and has loads of get up and go. BUT, if you live anywhere that the wind blows do not buy this car. It does not hold the road in the wind and is so light you feel like it is going to blow off the road. I am trading it in for a good old heavy SUV this weekend!

2012 Touareg TDI Exec
By treg23 on 01/15/13 11:28 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Traded in my beloved "05 V8 Exec on this 2012 TDI Exec in July 2012. Have logged lots of seat time accumulating almost 20,000 Kms. Overall this is a very good and very capable vehicle but this one seems was seemingly built by an Slovakian on a Friday afternoon.

Six Weeks with Hilda -Touareg TDI
By talone on 11/24/12 01:14 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Six weeks ago I purchased a new black 2012 Touareg. I named the vehicle "Hilda" and I must say this girl is well built, fun to drive, has a great motor and impresses all who ride with her. Originally I planned to purchase a gas Tourareg, but after taking the diesel out for a drive I was hooked. I fell in love with Hilda and how smoothly and quickly she travels down the highway and navigates city streets. Hilda embraced my 6'-6" frame as no other SUV I have ever driven. Hilda is a pricey vehicle, but fine cars like fine women don't come cheap. In the case of Hilda she has performed exceptionally well. I have noticed many a man look at Hilda with lust in their eyes. WHAT A GREAT CAR!!!

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned
By jurgenk on 06/14/12 12:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 10/11 (3.0L 6cyl S/C gas/electric hybrid 8A)

I wanted a mid size SUV to accomodate our growing family, but also wanted to preserve some of the fun-factor of driving. I test drove the gas and diesel ML series, and found that while its a beautiful and luxurious truck (Merc has done a great job with the evolution of the exterior and interior) it was a little slow and a little sloppy in handling compared to the others. The X5 looked awesome and is the standard bearer in terms of ride, but was too common and too expensive. The Cayenne S is equally fun but fuel thirsty and expensive. The Touareg was luxurious and crisp handling, the hybrid was extremely well-powered, and the slight improvement in efficiency a welcome bonus.

My first and last VW
By jmay1 on 03/24/12 12:52 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I traded in my 2007 Volvo XC90 for the 2012 Touareg TDI and, 7 months later, I am trading it in with only 8400 miles on it. Since I bought it in September of 2011, I have had it in for service 6 times (AdBlue pump issues, check engine light has come on many times and the brakes squeal when in reverse). I love the styling, comfort and gas mileage, but it's just not worth the headache and trips to the service department. I would have thought for what I paid for it, it would have been better in it's class. I chose this over the Audi Q5 and the BMW X3 (which cost less) and I couldn't be more disappointed.

Very satisfied
By steve41 on 01/11/12 09:58 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Traded a troublesome 09 BMW X5 diesel. Could not be happier. The new body looks like a Cayenne, (had a Cayenne prior to the X5), and the interior is very nice. Handling is great; mileage will hopefully improve from 26,27. I hope to get 29, as I did with the X5. Touch screen with phone interface, nav with traffic,sirius xm is very nice and easy to use. Good sound system. Feels solid and hopefully will be a good ride for a long time. 2700 miles to date.

Great vehicle, But
By sasquatch7 on 01/07/12 17:49 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Our new 2012 is a great vehicle in many ways. The build quality, ride,handling, comfort and handling are one of the best. It also has many items that come standard that are options on other vehicles in this catagory. What it falls short in is the lack of available safety options that are available on similar level vehicles. No Blis system, adaptive cruise, surround cameras. All of which are available on the Touareg's European models. I read where VW execs. said USA buyers would not want to pay extra for these options.

2012 VW Touareg Sport w/ Navigation
By bandit66 on 01/03/12 12:35 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I visited my dealer in early December to look at a 2011 left over. After driving a Midnight Blue 2012 I decided to trade-in my 2009 Tiguan for the 2012 Touareg. I have previously owned other "high line" vehicles from Acura, Lexus, and Infinity ... but none come close to the new Touareg - yes it IS a "high line" vehicle (and I bought the Sport version!). Build quality is amazing, design is amazing, materials are amazing, ride is amazing. This is one well built vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Touareg in VA is:

$128 per month*