Used 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Vroom Vroom
By Cass Taylor

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I've had my SUV 1 month and I've already added about 1000 miles because it's fun to drive plus I commute 100 miles a day 2 days a week. It took awhile to find one with fairly low miles that was less that $20k. I like sitting high after coming out of a mini. I haven't had the car serviced yet. The ride is smooth and it takes off. I don't like that the setting for the seats change every time I get out of the car or that it doesn't have parking sensors/backup camera on a 2012. My 2008 mini has parking sensors. Considering the original cost of this SUV it should be standard even in the lowest level model. I've checked around to have sensor or the camera installed and VW doesn't offer a replacement at the dealership and I don't want to retrofit something else. I'm glad I bought the SUV so far. Still getting use to the features. The manual isn't helpful since it covers all models. I read the reviews before I settled on this car and they were helpful.

Incredible value!
By Tamas Kovacs

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought this car new and put 92k miles in it in about 4 years with absolutely no issues. I have done all scheduled maintenance but nothing else. It still looks, feels and drives like a brand new car. Still on my first set of brakes, and absolutely no complains about anything. Though not cheap, the quality and design inside and out is of cars twice this cost.

It is extremely comfortable, fast and fun to drive. Very quite and smooth even at high speeds. Incredibly good in snow and bad driving conditions. I have nothing but good to say about this and will more likely buy the same car when ready to part with this one.

The luxury of a Rolls Royce without the price
By Tom Reiss

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I love this car

I like mine!
By Scot61

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I own the Sport with Nav, and I think the car is great. Very good handling for an SUV, outstanding exterior and interior although there are some shiny, glaring surfaces in the cockpit. Entrance and exit can be challenging for tall people. Gas mileage was a pleasant surprise; I get about 2 mpg more than the EPA estimate. The Bluetooth can be confusing, but Nav is great. Overall, a very solid, great-handling, good looking and reasonably economical SUV to drive, with outstanding towing ability.

4/13/16 Update: I still like mine! I would add that it's best to have VW do oil changes; my local Jiffy Lube did not have the correct oil filter.

Also, a word on towing: I have towed up to 5,200 pounds with the V6 with no problem. (My understanding is that towing capacity is 7,700 pounds with any of the offered engines.) Although I was generally able to manage 50-55 in the right lane up small mountains in New Hampshire with 5,200 pounds, I imagine you might be going closer to 40-45, or slower, anywhere near the 7,700 pound limit with the V6 up a steep grade. The Hybrid, and especially the diesel, would be much better choices for that kind of towing.

Great Vehicle
By clockit4

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I am very impressed with this vehicle. I have a two Bmw X 5's in the past, and this vehicle is of equal or slightly better quality. I cannot stand rattles in a vehicle and this Touareg posses no rattles whatsoever. Very stable over bumps and railroad tracks. I love the gas mileage the TDI offers. The navigation system is the best I have seen in any vehicle. Love the posted speed limits shown on screen.
Touareg currently has 29,000 miles on the odometer.

I love the technology the car offers.

I would like to see a more aggressive stylish front fascia. The back and sides of vehicle look very sharp but the front is very plain Jane. I would like to see adaptive cruise control (Distronic) offered as well.