2011 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Review: Verdict is still out.

2011 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Review

TDI Lux 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel 4x4 8-speed Automatic)

Verdict is still out.
By Chicago Gearhead on

2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Just owned my Touareg TDI for 24 hours now. Really wanted the hybrid but the whole Chicagoland area is only getting about 10 hybrids for the whole 2011 model year. Seems like an advertising scam to me. The TDI surprisingly has little torque until past 2K rpm's. My GX470 seemed to have much better torque at 1300 rpms even though it is rated at 76 less lb ft torque. Handle's really well, similar to my wife's G35x. Fit and finish is well executed. I seem to have no problem meeting or exceeding the gov't rated MPG's. Over all, I'm happy with the purchase but at these steep prices, I don't think VW is going to sell many of these!

LED driving lights. Decent milage for a 5K lb SUV. Nice to have 8 forward speeds to maximize the engine's resources.

My larger GX470 was still about 300 lb lighter even though it had a traditional off road transf. case and ladder frame. Loose more weight! Push button start should be standard on a $56K SUV.
By sportwagentdi
on 06/28/11 13:28 PM (PDT)

I would think the torque difference is due to the turbo lag on the Toureg vs. the V8 of the GX470.