Used 2011 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Rare Find!!White w/Saddle Brown VR LUX
By bigcat56

2011 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This 2011 VW Touareg VR6 Lux is the BEST car I have purchased in the last 35 years. I'm a big man at 6'3" 280lbs, hard to find any vehicle with enough space for someone my size to sit behind me, but this suv has that as well as comfort for all passengers. Looked at BMW X5, MB ML350, Nissan Murano, new Ford Edge, Volvo XC60. A complete joy to drive, plenty of power from VR6/8Spd, Classy, Luxurious interior with all the Technology you can handle. Didn't think I needed a NAV system, but this one has totally changed my mind. Standard stereo system sounds rich and full to my ears. Price point when considered with all standard equipment vs. luxury competition is within reason.

Favorite Features

NAV Infotainment system w/Sirius Traffic & radio. SD slots for music and video.Luxurious and comfortable seating. Saddle Brown leather option. 8 Speed Transmission, shift to Sport mode for more fun. Ride , quiet and solid feel. Overall look inside and out is stunning. Ability to achieve 23+ MPG Highway. Puts a grin on my face everytime I get in, regardless of where I'm sitting! Must not forget Velcro blocks to keep cargo from shifting in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing so far.

New Owner
By utahgolfer

2011 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I only have 600 miles on the vehicle and all of it has been in town. I plan to update this as I get more miles. No opinion on mileage, road noise, ride on long trips, reliability, service, and handling in the snow, Yet. I have ordered the towing package but it hasn't come in yet. I don't use the phone bluetooth.

Favorite Features

I like the feel of the car, the steering is tight, and so far the seats are comfortable. With this cold winter the heated seats are excellent. The nav system works well once it is set up. (See below). I can get a set of golf clubs across the back, many SUVs were to narrow. The back up camera works very well, as to the headlights. The Ipod interface is good, but see below.

Suggested Improvements

So far I hate the voice control. It is difficult to set up the nav with it. Other manufacturers seem to have a better handle on this. My hand held Garmin is easier to set up. There is no place for coins. The compartment under the arm rest is large, but could use a shallow divider as in most SUVs. The single CD player, located in the glove box is difficult to get at, and, for people that listen to recorded books, it is very inconvenient. It has forced me to get an Ipod, and ripping books to the Ipod is no fun. The user manual is so full of saftety warnings that it is hard to use. I still get the cruise control lever and the turn signal lever mixed up. Different sides would have help

'11 Touareg TDI hits almost all targets
By tdifor

2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

We took delivery of our new '11 TDI Lux on 12/9/10, and my wife and son want to drive it more than their own cars ('08 GTI and '02 525i wagon). It's quiet, comfortable, beautiful inside and out (what a sunroof!), has a great nav system and electronics package, great power (can't wait 'til summer to tow our boat), and is getting 25+ mpg! It passed its snow test with flying colors, and the handling is fantastic. The only negatives are price ($55K) and lack of cargo space, but we knew what we were getting into there. Five adults and all their stuff plus some food gets pretty tight, but if you don't mind a car-top carrier it would be a great answer. Check it out if looking for a new small SUV!

Favorite Features

Power, mileage, AWD, solid build, quiet ride, sunroof, nav/media system, interior, exterior, size (for parking), rear camera, descent control, power lift gate, front/rear leg and head room.

Suggested Improvements

Lower price, slightly bigger cargo area (loses small exterior size).

Touareg best I have owned
By jdpompano

2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have owned many cars, trucks and SUV's over my lifetime, including luxury brands from Audi and Acura, this is the best vehicle yet. The build quality, handling, engine performance/mileage are all great, best in class. I have owned this for two months and I am averaging 22mpg in city driving, with excellent acceleration and engine smoothness. The technology features are intuitutive for most, but there is still a learning curve. DVD player in glove compartment a plus.

Favorite Features

The TDI engine is most impressive to me, next would be the technology features. The engine is so smooth, powerful, but amazingly fuel efficient, no need for extra cost hybrid.

Suggested Improvements

Still learing the nav system, limited POI's so far and the light connection for the trailer hitch is unusual.

Best Car Ever
By Anonymous

2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have been driving for 50 years and have driven most makes and models from GM, Ford, MB, RR, Audi, BMW, Low budget to > $70k and this is the best vehicle I have ever driven! Solid, quiet and fuel efficient. The safety features are great, and the looks speak for themselves, 'understated elegance'.

Favorite Features

Safety, fuel economy, quiet comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Lower price.