2011 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2011 Touareg Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Sort Reviews by

2011 Touareg Lux White/Saddle Brown
By march609

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is my first VW and I am somewhat satisfied, but feel like the car is constantly down shifting when you are driving at a slower speed. It kind of feels like when you down shift too quickly in a five speed. It kind of jerks when it does it. Not sure if its just an issue with the individual car or something I need to get use to. The other very annoying and disappointing feature is for a $49,000 suv, I am shocked that keyless entry and push button start are not a standard feature. Very disappointing to say the least. Otherwise, it's a beautiful, sleek, comfortable, sturdy and reliable suv.

Favorite Features

Best looking interior and navigation system I have ever seen!!

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry, remote start and push button start should absolutely be standard at $49,000! It is in many of the competition models!!

A Best Kept Secret
By rvb1

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I've had my 2011 T-Reg Lux for several months now and I am blown away by this vehicle. It meets all the expectations of a luxury SUV. I traded in my 2004 T-Reg V8 for the V6 and had some concerns with the power and some of the previous glitches, however this is one amazing SUV. Well worth the high 40's one pays in comparison. The Nav/Media system is smart and easy to use; The comforts are endless.The back seating is far better than most comps. For those that take it off road and on the beach it eases through the sand beautifully. (Always air down to about 20lbs) A simply knob turn to off road. So much easier than the 2004.

Favorite Features

Large sunroof, great steering turn radius. Smooth ride. Exceeds anticipated MPG. NAV/media system, Fit and finish, I Love it!

Suggested Improvements

Seems I always hit the memory seat buttons, while opening the drivers door, which is located shoulder height on the door panel. Moving them forward towards the front would help.

Our first VeeDub
By ec374897

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Our Touareg was our first VW, but not our first SUV. Previously we had a Ford Explorer and a Toyota Highlander. When looking for our new car, we looked and drove several, including the 4runner, Q5 and X5. The Touareg, hands-down trounced our previous suv's when it came to handling, performance and comfort. Our '06 Highlander drove like a minivan compared to the tight feel and zippy performance from the T-reg. When it came time to choose, the VW experience, and price/feature ratio won out over our other options. 4runner - too much like a truck, and the price point when compared to Audi/BMW was perfect. Overall, this vehicle is fun to drive and gets good mpg for its class.

Favorite Features

We love the integrated bluetooth for phone and audio streaming. The entertainment options are amazing: You can put songs on the internal hard drive, there are two SD slots for MP3/digital audio, DVD/CD player, iPOD/external audio adapter, bluetooth audio and SiriusXM. The Navi is great, very intuitive interface, and having the additional full-color lcd multi-function display in the drivers cluster is a great feature. You can control most of the system from the steering wheel using the center display so you are barely looking away from the road. Voice control of the system is a nice touch. The headlights are great at night, especially on dark roads.

Suggested Improvements

The power controls for the driver/passenger seats are a bit too high, and tend to be bumped when entering or exiting the vehicle. Nothing major, but still, something that came up. It would be nice if the track/artist information displayed in the driver cluster, and not just in the main display.

treg - 2 months review
By testrada

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

vehicle is good. looked at x5, x3, q7, q5, cayenne, highlander, f150, explorer, mdx.... chose these because of the mix of very good quality, features, comfort at a relatively decent value (most vehicles we looked at were $50k+ with either less features, less quality, or both. too bad not all the european options are available on the models here. perhaps vw afraid its getting too close to q7 or cayenne. power is more than adequate brakes are superb avg mpg 21 with 50/50 hwy/city (not going over 70) turn ratio is phenomenal

Favorite Features

being able to do u-turns in two lane roads dashboard display

Suggested Improvements

cooled seats remote start ability to set treble/bass directly (without going through menus) provide mid's freq in stereo

6 months in, very happy with purchase
By azsundvl

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I got the Touareg for my wife however I drive it a good amount. We held off for a while on buying a SUV because we just couldn't seem to find the right fit. We're glad we waited because the Touareg is a great vehicle (looked at RX350, ML350, Q5). We do short trips and not a ton of mileage but are still averaging almost 18 mpg w/ the VR6. There's a good amount of room without being too large of a vehicle. The driving feel and quality of vehicle is great. There's enough power and it's a great looking SUV. VW did a great job - definitely recommend it.

Favorite Features

Integrated features to steering wheel, solid driving feel, quality build, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Remote start

The Best SUV for your $$$
By sgleyzer

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I was a Lexus RX owner for the past 10 year. Drove 2000, 2004, 2006, 2008 & 2009 models and HATED them for as long as I had them all. I wanted a change.... When passing by VW dealer I saw this Beauty on the front lot I took if for a test drive that moment. It was Sport V6. It was OH MY... after just 5 minutes of driving I test drove MDX, RX350, X5, Mazda9 and 2011 Grand Cherokee. Non of these came close (money vs what you get) I picked up my Touareg Sport V6 for more then 6K off MSRP ($39200) on 12/22/10 For all folks on the market for 5 pass. SUV MAKE YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR PLEASE CHECK IT OUT AND TAKE IT FOR A DRIVE!!!! THATS ALL :-))) Good Luck & All The BEST!!!!

Favorite Features

ALL

Suggested Improvements

Navigation should provide default US State location Glove compartment is to small Door storage should be reconfigured to allow more storage

Rare Find!!White w/Saddle Brown VR LUX
By bigcat56

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This 2011 VW Touareg VR6 Lux is the BEST car I have purchased in the last 35 years. I'm a big man at 6'3" 280lbs, hard to find any vehicle with enough space for someone my size to sit behind me, but this suv has that as well as comfort for all passengers. Looked at BMW X5, MB ML350, Nissan Murano, new Ford Edge, Volvo XC60. A complete joy to drive, plenty of power from VR6/8Spd, Classy, Luxurious interior with all the Technology you can handle. Didn't think I needed a NAV system, but this one has totally changed my mind. Standard stereo system sounds rich and full to my ears. Price point when considered with all standard equipment vs. luxury competition is within reason.

Favorite Features

NAV Infotainment system w/Sirius Traffic & radio. SD slots for music and video.Luxurious and comfortable seating. Saddle Brown leather option. 8 Speed Transmission, shift to Sport mode for more fun. Ride , quiet and solid feel. Overall look inside and out is stunning. Ability to achieve 23+ MPG Highway. Puts a grin on my face everytime I get in, regardless of where I'm sitting! Must not forget Velcro blocks to keep cargo from shifting in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing so far.

New Owner
By utahgolfer

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I only have 600 miles on the vehicle and all of it has been in town. I plan to update this as I get more miles. No opinion on mileage, road noise, ride on long trips, reliability, service, and handling in the snow, Yet. I have ordered the towing package but it hasn't come in yet. I don't use the phone bluetooth.

Favorite Features

I like the feel of the car, the steering is tight, and so far the seats are comfortable. With this cold winter the heated seats are excellent. The nav system works well once it is set up. (See below). I can get a set of golf clubs across the back, many SUVs were to narrow. The back up camera works very well, as to the headlights. The Ipod interface is good, but see below.

Suggested Improvements

So far I hate the voice control. It is difficult to set up the nav with it. Other manufacturers seem to have a better handle on this. My hand held Garmin is easier to set up. There is no place for coins. The compartment under the arm rest is large, but could use a shallow divider as in most SUVs. The single CD player, located in the glove box is difficult to get at, and, for people that listen to recorded books, it is very inconvenient. It has forced me to get an Ipod, and ripping books to the Ipod is no fun. The user manual is so full of saftety warnings that it is hard to use. I still get the cruise control lever and the turn signal lever mixed up. Different sides would have help

Awesome!!
By Prakash

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Returned my leased '08 Touareg and got Lux. It's Awesome!! My lease was up in Feb'11 but, couldn't wait. VW had an offer for paying off last three payments so, couldn't resist but, to pick this up! Steering feel is great, nice interiors, drives like a sports car. Side and rear looks are better than any of the other lux SUV including Cayenne. Now BMW has a competition.

Favorite Features

LED lights and tail lights, Panaromic sunroof, sterring feel, GPS and the quiet cabin.

Suggested Improvements

Better leather. Heated steering and rear seats should be made standard.

No longer poor mans Audi
By frankclh

2011 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

After several Audi's, found them not willing to give any incentive to get a Q5. Went to VW for a better deal and got an Audi with a VW badge. Built like a vault, great driving suv with a better nav package. Service is also included. Great brakes and steering, smooth engine, so far about 21mpg going back and forth to work. Bigger and almost double tow rating of the Q5 for same money but better deal through VW Financial.

Favorite Features

Ride, Build Quality, Nav. system.

Suggested Improvements

None so far. Smart key should be standard. Can only get with 6 thousand dollar executive package.