Used 2011 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

The Best SUV !!! Nothing Else Even Comes Close!!
By vision3

2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have owned my Sport TDI SUV since new. I have driven it for 28,000 miles and have not had one problem with it. Truly an outstanding SUV. Build quality is top notch. Feels very solid and safe. Steering is tight, suspension is firm yet soaks up road bumps. Handling on the most curvy roads is amazing. Diesel engine is very smooth, surprisingly quiet and very powerful. Accelerates like a rocket. 80mph feels like only driving 50, without any strain on engine, while getting 30mpg!! I set the speedo alarm at 80mph, and it routinely alerts me. A great feature on this SUV!! Seats are very comfortable, Nav. and voice commands easy to operate. Great sound system. VW hit a home run! Best SUV!!!

Handling, Sportiness, All Wheel Drive, Smooth Quiet Ride, Solid Feel, Quality Build, Voice Commands, NAV and Back Up Camera, Quiet, Smooth Powerful Diesel Engine, Amazing Acceleration, Excellent Brakes, Excellent MPG, 30MPG on highway!!!

None. Can't think of anything that needs improvement on this SUV, except maybe a lower sticker price. But, I guess you get what you pay for!

Great car. Technology features not tested for U.S.
By leighlane

2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I've had my 2011 Touareg TDI for 1 year. Overall, great experience. I'm an Audi loyalist, yet my VW TDI is a favorite. My Touareg has blemishes. I'm 6+mo. into trying to get my Bluetooth fixed. A VW factory engineer confirmed mine isn't usable. Call recipients can't hear me. On any iPhone (3, 3G, 4, 4S) it is not usable because it picks up excessive road noise (VW didn't QA test iPhones?). VW USA and my dealer have been lackluster in support. I was told by VW's Executive Care team that I will have to pursue other means like BBB and CA Attorney General to fix this because VW USA doesn't have a trend of this as a problem. Apparently, I'm the first. So great experience with a major blemish

Fuel efficiency Ride comfort Touchscreen nav Auto hold for city traffic stop and go Bluetooth (for streaming, not for voice)

Bluetooth that works for voice, and is tested on top U.S. phones like iPhone. Stronger fit and finish (I just had a chrome trim piece come off my right rear passenger door). Backup camera with warning tones.

WOW!!!
By carguy114

2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

My familiy and I have owned our 2011 VW Touareg TDI Lux for 5 months now and all I can say is what an incredible car. First off, we were OK with the 19 MPG city rating, and because we live in the hills, we were expecting less. BUT, we are actually averaging 23 miles per gallon without any highway driving. I would not be surprised if somone who's commute consists of 35-65 mph flat roads could average over 50 mpg. This really is an incredible machine. The overall build quality is very solid, you always feel safe! The interior has ablselutely no flaws and the panoramic sunroof is incredible. If you ane in anyway remotely considering the Touareg, you will not be let down. We love our Touareg TDI

MPG's, Sunroof, Comfort of the interior and the ride, "Sport" mode, Cargo Capacity, Value for Money, Styling, Fun to drive, LED daytime running lights (Stylish :). Porsche quality car, for $20,000 less, Rear seat roominess, 700 mile range, ECO factor, Navigation, Sound System, 8 in touchscreen etc.

There are two minor suggestions. The fuel tank is 26.4 gallons which allows you to go on forever, but refuels are a bit pricy if diesel is about $4.00 a gallon. Also, the "Volkswagen Infortainment System" is either totally on or totally off, if you want to make a phone call using the great bluetooth, you have to mute the music instead of turinging it off. It isn't terrible but it takes a little getting used to.

Value with Style
By stcamp

2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Was in the market for another SUV, yet wanted something different, not cumbersome nor boxy. Previously had an 07 BMW X5 - liked the car, yet did not like performance. With gas prices fluctuating high/low, I considered the diesel. Drove the BMW diesel, yet it was $9k more than the VW. My car is new <300 miles, yet in town I avg 19.5 and Hwy 26 mpg. As the car engine breaks in and I get my foot off the pedal, I know mileage will improve. Seats are very comfortable, interior is well designed and Navigation interface works very well. The LED headlights are distinctive and the back end of the Touareg is in my opinion...nicer than Porsche

Size, diesel performance & mpg, style, off road capabilities, auto-trunk hatch, Navigation, Stereo and HUGE sun roof

For a $50k car, the steering wheel should be electronic and not manual. If you live in a city where the sun shines hot, the sun roof does not do a good job of keeping the heat out, so I took the car into a window tint dealer and had both driver side windows tinted and sun roof....now, it not only looks better, but the tinting on the roof makes a BIG difference.

2011 Touareg Lux White/Saddle Brown
By march609

2011 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Lux 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is my first VW and I am somewhat satisfied, but feel like the car is constantly down shifting when you are driving at a slower speed. It kind of feels like when you down shift too quickly in a five speed. It kind of jerks when it does it. Not sure if its just an issue with the individual car or something I need to get use to. The other very annoying and disappointing feature is for a $49,000 suv, I am shocked that keyless entry and push button start are not a standard feature. Very disappointing to say the least. Otherwise, it's a beautiful, sleek, comfortable, sturdy and reliable suv.

Best looking interior and navigation system I have ever seen!!

Keyless entry, remote start and push button start should absolutely be standard at $49,000! It is in many of the competition models!!