Used 2010 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel

V6 TDI 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel 4x4 6-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

Certified T-Reg
By Kimball Dempsey

2010 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I've scouted these diesel SUV's for several years and really like the older body style over the new style started in '11. But, I found the TDI's to be expensive so I've been patient. I found a Black T-Reg diesel advertised as a Certified Preowned with 63k miles at a local VW Dealer. The vehicle was in excellent physical condition and all of its meticulous service records were available at the dealer where the only previous owner always had it serviced. I didn't even dicker on price. Unfortunately, less than 24 hours after purchase the check engine light and warning graphics came on. It ended up being an oil sensor that was replaced under warranty. A week or so later, I noticed the Nav system would blink off inexplicably but would always reboot and come back on. I needed to take the vehicle back to the dealer to have the right rear window fixed (dropped down and wouldn't go back up). The service manager told me VW had a service bulletin on the Nav and it required reprogramming to work out the bug. They did this and fixed the window under the CPO warranty. That was about a month ago and after a rather auspicious start with this T-Reg, it seems to be operating well. The only other issue I've had, and it was a one-time thing, is the rear hatch wouldn't open one day either with the power assist or manually. But after driving it a few miles and trying it again it worked fine. Weird, but I hope its not a precursor to another failure and trip to the dealer.

The things I like most: I'm 6'4" and the seating position is excellent and I like the front bucket seat comfort much better than in my wife's newer Lexus RX. The ride around town is harsh but on the highway its a dream. This vehicle has great acceleration and doesn't suffer major turbo lag like other turbo diesels I've owned. The gas mileage is reasonable (21-22 around town and about 26 on the highway so far). The sound system is very good and I've found the Nav system easy to use and decently intuitive for a 6 year old technology.

The things I like least: Slight rattle in dash somewhere at lower speed, but with the radio at normal volume its hardly noticable. Rear cargo room is very limited and the rear seats don't completely fold flat. Harshness of ride on bumpy roads around town. Lacks rear LED tail lights and for a vehicle in its price range when new this should've have been a standard as should have been front seat presets.

Overall: I really like the vehicle and although it is 6 years old by model year and I understand it will have service issues from time to time, I'm hoping the initial quirky gremlins are behind me. I well understand the love for and cult following T-Reg's have gained over the years.

My working beast
By Chris

2010 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Bottom line, I have over 145,000 miles on my Touareg and it is still going strong.

Before purchasing my T-Reg, I laid out my needs for a car. I wanted diesel, as are all my cars (Jetta SW and Q7). I needed something that fit my family comfortably if we didn’t take my wife’s Q7. It needed to tow the camper (5,000 lbs) and all other smaller implements. It needed to have 4 wheel drive. It needed a good sound system (for all my hours in the left seat). It needed to look like a man’s vehicle (men, you know what I mean). This left me mostly with ¾ ton or larger trucks. However, after living in Germany for a long time, I already had an affinity for the VW, except the last time I saw one for sale, the price started at about my yearly income. Over time, my income has increased, and if I looked at all the other vehicles that fit my requirements, the prices were the same. I test drove every vehicle that fit my requirements, to include my wife’s Q7…which she said I could have when she is dead and gone.

The end result is that I could purchase an 8,800 pound ¾ ton truck with highway mileage in the teens, or the 5,500 pound T-Reg with 25 MPG on the highway with the same interior options. So the T-Reg is the way I went. And I am very happy with my lease return purchase 140,000 miles later.

A few things to consider though. I was already VW savvy through the ownership of the Audi and Jetta. Therefore many of the new owner pains had already been felt as I read through the owner’s manual, as one should. They are very particular about fluids and servicing, but if followed to the letter, major maintenance is absolutely unheard of. Between the three vehicles, I spend less than $250 a month on maintenance (this includes oil, brakes, wipers, AdBlue, washing and all other things except tires) on vehicles that spend a ton of time on the road. Yes, I have three vehicles (2009, 2010, 2011) with over 100,00 miles on them and have no doubt that any of them can drive across the country without issue.

As of writing this, I have just returned from a 5,000 mile cross country trip towing our camper. As a towing rig, I have been completely impressed. There is zero trailer sag (that condition where it seems the butt of the truck is dragging on the ground) and tows like there is nothing behind it. Yes, a family of four, all their stuff packed in, on (via the Thule on the top) and behind it in the camper we still managed to have a trip fuel mileage average of 16.6 MPG (hand calculated) on a trip that did hit speeds up to 90 MPH (in states where that is perfectly legalish). Although, I did have to purchase mirror extensions so I could see around the camper, the T-Reg is otherwise perfectly prepared to tow.

When driving sans trailer, I set the cruise and drive effortless for hours. Driving across country is a joy, as is driving through the city. Step on the go pedal and hang on!

I also use this vehicle to hunt. While I received some raised eyebrows the first time I took this off road to get to our site, I made it easily after pulling the most vocal “anti SUV” guy out of a mud pit I had just traversed. It allowed me a moment of smug suburban former Jeep guy glee to do it.
The interior appointments I have found to be timeless and un-cumbersome. Nothing is fading, cracking, wearing, or getting “old” looking. People still ask me if it is new, and are shocked when I tell them it is nearly 5 years old with 145,000 miles on it. Things just hold up well. No rattle, shake or squeak. The interface with the stereo and GPS is so much easier than my wife’s Q7 (don’t tell her I said that), and is just intuitive.

There are cons to this truck.
Driving for eight hours straight before needing fuel tests the limits of a bladder. Crying the first time the paint was scratched. That annoying alarm that goes off once and a while when I lock the doors. Paying over $300 for a GPS update on my $60,000+ vehicle (VAG really needs to fix this, I was very angry when it came up and the disc was different across all three of my cars). The onboard hard drive only plays MP3, so I had to reformat all my WMA music. The SD reader only reads a 2 GIG card, taking me nearly three days to load my music to the hard drive…only to discover half my music couldn’t be played because it was in the wrong format. There are times that the computer is a bit slow, meaning that the touch screen won’t activate stuff as quickly as I wished. However, the same can be true of me, so I deal with it.

Pleased so far, but remains to be seen...
By sabotva

Love this SUV.
Purchased at 38k miles and have driven to 41k.
Have NOT towed much, and that is a large part of why i purchased this car.
7700lb capacity is impressive.
My list of praises is nearly endless.
I'm focusing on gripes to inform the consumer.
Consider everything else perfect.

sturdy feel to most parts. Doors, tailgate, hood, knobs, etc. Dash layout is great. diesel strong and fun.

Parking sensors - annoying, but can turn off Leaks on back hatch - crazy flaw. pours water from tailgate to interior when hatch opened 12v outlet switched - none are always on Battery under seat - jumpstarting?? No electric brakes - 7.7klb towing capacity, but only if you get electric brakes, which dealer doesn't sell. Acceleration - eversoslight delay before accel Biodiesel - should be rated for B20. Disappointing ony apologetically rated for B5. Doors auto lock - annoying Lights always on - can't turn off headlights Intermittent wipers Phonebook directory - can't load all contacts Towing transmission - no "overdrive off" button Seat belts grab when pulled quickly. Annoying.

Very Poor GPS System
By deh2

2010 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have had problems with my GPS since I purchased the vehicle. It often will have you exit & do a U turn only to bring you down the same road,do this a few times in rush hour and see how you feel!! I reported it to the dealer I purchased it from in Georgetown,TX & was told there was no fix yet. I have since moved to Houston,TX took my Toureg in before the warranty went out. They told me that they have heard this numerous times before & could fix it for $200.00 new software. I called the Volkswagen customer service and was told the same thing. 50K vehicle and won't fix the problem that it came with, that way of doing business does not work for me folks!! Imagine a big problem, eh!

I think its mostly a really good vehicle and drives and handles nice. Great performance.

You can make a really good vehicle, but if you don't take care of your problems you won't last..So take care of your warranty work on your nickel, not mine.

Best vehicle we've ever owned, way better then the new model PERIOD! if you want a real truck and not a car.
By utadvrider

2010 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel V6 TDI 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Best vehicle we've ever owned, we are a large family and got rid of our 2007 LTZ LOADED Suburban. Gas milage savings alone has paid for the car payment, we save about $4-500 per month with the driving my wife does. Not to mention that the VW tow's more then the Suburban, the Chevy only towed 7K and the smaller VW tow's 8k!
Besides the towing, it drives great, same as the Porsche for the most part, really the only differences are: Diesel, interior and wheel options, which the interior of the VW is way nicer then the Porsche. It fast (torque) and handles great, on & off road! It's a Real Truck, not a car thats lifted like most SUV's, body on frame like a PU, Land Cruiser of Land Rover.

Diesel Engine, Turning Head Lights, Back Up camera, Front and Back Warning Censers, AWD with locking diffs, stereo, rain censing wipers, all one touch windows, heated seats & steering wheel! Free Maintenance & the extended warranty that we purchased from VW (Factory VW extended warranty) for $2200 gives us a warranty for 5 additional years after the stock warranty ends & a 120K miles total bumper to bumper, awesome!!

None, maybe make it a little cheaper but that with all vehicles, lol.