2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Review: My second Touareg

2006 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Review

My second Touareg
By Michel Avril on

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I always change cars every two years. The difference is if I find a better model, I change, if not, just buy the same. I drove a BMW X5 V8, and it had problems. I changed to a Mercedes ML500, and had no problems, but it was not good offroad. Then I changed for a 2004 VW Touareg, it was more comfortable and user friendly. After 30,000 impecable miles, I traded it in for a 2005 Touareg in July 2005. With Pirellis on 18 inch wheels, it handles as if it was on smooth rails. Precise, totally satisfactory to drive, in both the city and highway. Then go off road, the BMW and the Mercedes had trouble in the Death Valley canyons, the Touareg makes everything steady and easy.

Keyless entry and lock. Adjustable steering up, down, in, out, seat and wheel automatically recognize key owner. Outstandinh transmission. Fluid six speeds in drive, very aggressive in sports mode + five low range speeds for off road. Lock center rear differentials on the go. Solid, safe (5,000 lbs)

The automatic adjustment of seat and steering wheel can be defeated by an under the wheel button. Nice when you have a long legged guest behind. It would be better that the button ONLY defeats the seat back up, but not the steering wheel up and away function