Love the Touareg
By ellie on
2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
Consumer Reports gave the Touareg V6 low ratings. Their reviews citing "sluggishness" do not consider the tiptronic shifting or "superdrive" options. It is not a racecar, but its performance is more than adequate. Also, I get 19-20mpg in 7,500-8,700ft mountainous terrain using high quality oil; it's as good or better than comparable SUVs. Ice and snow on steep hills -- no problem; the Toureg outperforms our Subaru Outback on ice because of the locking differential and torque. The heated seats sure do help on cold mornings. For driving performance, there is very little lean around corners; I feel safe while driving and would recommend this truck to anyone.
Favorite Features
Favorite features -- good handling in mountain switchbacks, turning radius, clearanced, snow & ice. Tiptronic shifting is like manual transmission, and the automatic option is good for driving while eating burritos in city traffic. The interior is nice, too.
Suggested Improvements
I really don't like the warning beeps to alert you when the front passenger airbag is off, which happens everytime the front passenger gets out of the car. 6 short beeps, and one loud, long one. It drives me crazy. I am thinking of removing some wires. Also, the feet-heating could be improved.