Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Fun with Touareg
By george haydu

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a very fine and high quality vehicle. Its gas mileage could be better. I consider this the poor man's Porche.

The performance, driveability, and safety.

Give it better gas mileage. Offer better tire selection and a little more horse power

Great Vehicle
By B.A.S.

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I am a very picky person and I scrutinize my choices very closely and this one passed all of my tests. The interior and exterior design is superb and, being a VW, is about as high-quality as you can get for less than $100,000. It drives great, although the V6 is a bit anemic when pulling my 6,000 lb. trailer, but then again, what other V6 SUV can tow up to 7,700 lbs.? it is very comfortable (I got package 1 with mine) and the tranny shifts very smoothly. The fuel economy leaves something to be desired, I average 19 mpg with about 40% city/60% hwy driving, but it is better than what the EPA says it is (a typical VW trait) and is not bad for an SUV. It, like all VWs, is very reliable. Buy one!

Almost everything, especially quality and rigidity of construction.

More power would be nice, but is not needed. This will be solved in 2007, but I usually keep a vehicle for four years.

Luxury and High Tech Performance!
By Elizabeth

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is an exceptionally high-quality vehicle! I am very pleased with its handling, the quality of the interior, the durability, and the features. VW has really stepped up and provided buyers with a luxury SUV that drives like a luxury car, but has a "Sport" mode which gives it a much sportier drive feel as well. The cargo space is very functional and taller than most other mid-size SUVs that I tested, which is ideal for a large dog! :) The features are almost unsurpassed and even the 2007 Benz doesn't offer several features that the 2006 VW Touareg provides (I know because my friend brought home a brochure). I had a Benz SUV before the Touareg and the Touareg outshines it. The Touareg is a very pleasant surprise!

The back-up camera, Park-Assist, heated steering wheel & front/rear seats, chilled glove box, memory front seats, Sport mode, three driving heights: up for off-road, low for loading, nav system, AC outlet (port DVD plyr), air pump system (rafts), keyless touch entry (key in purse), and sport mode!

None, VW has outdone itself.

Very Good Car, Very Happy
By gerhard schonian

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The Touareg's style is very nice. It has a very roomy interior.

The tailgate is too high for a lady.

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8
By Harald Konheiser

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven many SUVs and this one is by far the best. I just love it. It is very fun to drive! Unfortunately my dealer's "after sale" support has been poor!

Actually the car has so many features I don't use them all.

The CD changer in the truck is not located in a good place. It should be inside the car. Also, there is no MP3 player and no direct cable connection for an iPod or satellite radio. The GPS needs improvement.