2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Touareg V8
By Vermonter on 04/23/07 16:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

At first I was hesitant to buy this car because of poor ratings for the 04 model. I'm glad I did. It gets better gas mileage (18 mpg) than the 02 Explorer, had every possible option, sounds outstanding when hitting the gas, and the stereo with navigation is close to what I have in my house. This car drives like the Porsche for about 15K less cash. Excellent capability this winter in the snow, excellent handling.

Skip the Nav
By Bob on 03/21/07 18:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have a special edition Touareg with 19" wheels, DVD Navigation and other goodies. The car is very competent in traffic, freeway, tight roads, and rough roads. Its fuel economy is not good, but we knew that when we bought it. In 3,000 miles, the only two complaints we have is that the radio or CD player comes on with the backup camera, even if it was off when the car was parked. The other problem is the navigation system is useless. Though not difficult to use it is cumbersome, slow, and usually does not have an address in the database. We still use our $500 Garmin GPS if we need navigation help.

Excellent
By Andre & Jane on 01/17/07 15:55 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

So far, we have had an excellent experience with our Touareg. After 17,000 miles, we have had no issues. It's fun to drive and quiet. It has the quality materials and the look of a top luxury vehicle.

VW - No Longer the People's Car
By VeroDD on 01/15/07 12:14 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

In my opinion, it's a good looking vehicle but not well thought out. To replace the battery, you must remove the driver's seat and controls. The spare tire is not inflated. It has a 12v air pump to assist you, only if you do not have a dead battery. The rear seats must have the head rests removed in order to be lowered. The rain sensing wipers have a mind of their own and run randomly. The exterior paint is VERY soft. Just the slightest brush against it and it scratches. The tires are worn out at 20,000 miles. The dealer says I'm lucky. Most fail earlier. Parts fall off! A cover for the rear wiper and one of the VW emblems just fell off. This was not covered under warranty.

Avoid Touareg
By hman on 12/29/06 20:54 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This truck is a sluggish gas guzzler. It has a cheap build and the horrible VW dealer network that treats you like a pain instead of a customer. It looks great outside, but skimps on build quality. The interior finish looks great, but uses cheap materials. Stick to Toyota or if your ego demands, BMW X5 is amazing in comparison.

Fun with Touareg
By george haydu on 12/27/06 09:40 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a very fine and high quality vehicle. Its gas mileage could be better. I consider this the poor man's Porche.

Great Vehicle
By B.A.S. on 12/26/06 19:12 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I am a very picky person and I scrutinize my choices very closely and this one passed all of my tests. The interior and exterior design is superb and, being a VW, is about as high-quality as you can get for less than $100,000. It drives great, although the V6 is a bit anemic when pulling my 6,000 lb. trailer, but then again, what other V6 SUV can tow up to 7,700 lbs.? it is very comfortable (I got package 1 with mine) and the tranny shifts very smoothly. The fuel economy leaves something to be desired, I average 19 mpg with about 40% city/60% hwy driving, but it is better than what the EPA says it is (a typical VW trait) and is not bad for an SUV. It, like all VWs, is very reliable. Buy one!

Luxury and High Tech Performance!
By Elizabeth on 12/14/06 08:52 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is an exceptionally high-quality vehicle! I am very pleased with its handling, the quality of the interior, the durability, and the features. VW has really stepped up and provided buyers with a luxury SUV that drives like a luxury car, but has a "Sport" mode which gives it a much sportier drive feel as well. The cargo space is very functional and taller than most other mid-size SUVs that I tested, which is ideal for a large dog! :) The features are almost unsurpassed and even the 2007 Benz doesn't offer several features that the 2006 VW Touareg provides (I know because my friend brought home a brochure). I had a Benz SUV before the Touareg and the Touareg outshines it. The Touareg is a very pleasant surprise!

Very Good Car, Very Happy
By gerhard schonian on 11/27/06 07:03 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The Touareg's style is very nice. It has a very roomy interior.

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8
By Harald Konheiser on 11/21/06 09:15 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven many SUVs and this one is by far the best. I just love it. It is very fun to drive! Unfortunately my dealer's "after sale" support has been poor!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.