Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

New Used VW Owner
By lapink

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I made the switch from a BMW 328ci to a big (for me) SUV. I bought this car used and I haven't owned it long, but I'm already in love. I guess I'll have to write again when I've put on more miles. It handles superb on the highway and in the snow. This car is smooth making it hard to keep it anywhere near speed limit. I looked at many other "high class" SUVs, but I had to go with the poor mans Cayenne. I felt spoiled by all the unbelievable extras in the V8 Touareg. There's no way I could get this car new. It amazes me that a VW could go for so much, but used it's a great deal. Plus, unlike other vehicles, it's nice to have a car that few people have and get many compliments.

Navigation of upcoming turns show in front of driver along with on nav. screen, navigation can be used while car is in motion (hello, passenger!), comfy seating, roomy back seat, different style of roof rack, and heated back seats to make my friends feel spoiled. Oh, and I love the compliments!

Fuel, but hello, I bought an SUV! I'm disappointed VW doesn't make a good dog divider (they need to take a lesson from Volvo). I wish the navigation map showed the vehicle moving like a Garmin does and not always pointing north. Warning sounds are too loud and can get annoying.

Best SUV on the road 4 the money
By Red2006vwtoureg

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this V6 2006 for $35,000 year end special. Ride is so smooth you can fall asleep. I'm 6'4 there is lots of room. If you drive with a light foot you can get 24 mpg on the highway. Sharp looking, handles the road like a sports car. Anyone I give a ride to says it's the nicest SUV they have ever been in. GREAT SMOOTH ride, AWD keeps it on the road in rain or snow.

Dashboard easy to access. Incredible handling dry or wet surface. Comfortable, pleasant ride. V6 is more than enough power. Love all the features.

Maybe a hybrid for better gas mileage. iPod hookup.

Touareg rules
By DJ

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was compelled to write this review on my 06 Touareg after I saw several misguided reviews complaining about mechanical tire wear, gas mileage and maintenance. This isn't a Honda Civic, it's a $40k+ 5,000 lb AWD SUV with tons of safety features and gadgets galore. Tire wear gas mileage & maintenance are all going to be higher, that's what you should expect with any luxury car. If you're not willing or prepared for higher cost of ownership, you shouldn't have bought one. Buy a Honda. That being said this is my 4th VW and although it's more expensive per visit it visits the oil change half as often and has needed nothing more than oil, one set of tires and front brakes over 40k miles.

The best part of this car is the interior, and since you spend the most time here, it should be awesome. Everything is where it should be. The car, um er SUV drives like better than a standard Golf which is impressive for a 5000 lb car on high profile tires. It rules in the snow too.

Rear seating, At 6'3'', there's not enough room for my legs. The mechanics for folding the rear seats are a joke. Also, there are too many warning bells, it sounds like a patient going into cardiac arrest. The software for the shifting needs improvement, and replace the intake with a Nuspeed unit.

Bittersweet
By Momma's Car

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have yet to own my Touareg for a full year. I brought it from a VW dealership thinking that it would be as close to as buying it new and I have had to replace all four tires. The front brakes were replaced once and just this passed week I had to have ALL brakes and rotors replace! To fill up my tank its about $90 +/-. My husband drives a GMC Yukon with 4-doors and it cost about the same for his gas! Love my VWs but I think after this it's time to move on!

Horrible car
By Terrible

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have so many problems with this car. The brakes scream every time I step on them. Just recently when ever I turn (what sounds like the fan belt) rattles when I turn. The seats are not comfortable, If you have a family and use the back seat a lot you might as well by a boulder to drive because it feels like your riding on one. I don't think the new ones are much better.

The interior wood is nice and the dash board, it lights up nice at night, but doesn't every car?

I don't know where to begin!