2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews 3

2006 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
An Opinion
By wscott3d on 01/20/08 16:34 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Controls somewhat cumbersome, transmission is too tight, shifting can be abrubt. But this cars ride and acceleration are tops. I use mine outdoors often, ability to raise body got me through some tight spots. Also has decent tow ability with it's heavy build and motor. the ability to fold seats down allows packing camping gear for 3. When on the road, acceleration in this engine is excellent and mine gives a slight throaty roar during shifts due to the sport gearing. This tranny is DIFFERENT, self shift or select sport gear or just a standard ride. Great city/country car that is reliable.

Very Nice Vehicle
By Ensconced on 09/17/07 13:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This SUV really drives like a car until the weather gets bad and then it drives like a very good SUV. The good comments about how the Touareg handles are not overstating it. I use a hitch mounted bike rack to haul bikes around and the Touareg works great for that. I don't have to worry about how primitive the trailheads will be.

Great interior quality, good looking SUV
By HS on 05/01/07 08:42 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Very nice SUV. Interior design and quality, power, handles great.

Touareg V8
By Vermonter on 04/23/07 16:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

At first I was hesitant to buy this car because of poor ratings for the 04 model. I'm glad I did. It gets better gas mileage (18 mpg) than the 02 Explorer, had every possible option, sounds outstanding when hitting the gas, and the stereo with navigation is close to what I have in my house. This car drives like the Porsche for about 15K less cash. Excellent capability this winter in the snow, excellent handling.

TDI...Great Towing, Comfort & Power!
By TJ on 03/28/07 12:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is my second Touareg. The first was a fully loaded 2004 V8 which I really loved. It replaced my Range Rover Classic. Did everything the Rover did, for $20K less and towed better too. With 100K miles on the V8, I figured I would take advantage of the current discounts on the 06 TDI. The vehicle is identical except for DVD navigation on the new one and of course the V10 twin turbo diesel. The V8 was very fast, but this thing flies. Better yet is the fuel economy.

Skip the Nav
By Bob on 03/21/07 18:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have a special edition Touareg with 19" wheels, DVD Navigation and other goodies. The car is very competent in traffic, freeway, tight roads, and rough roads. Its fuel economy is not good, but we knew that when we bought it. In 3,000 miles, the only two complaints we have is that the radio or CD player comes on with the backup camera, even if it was off when the car was parked. The other problem is the navigation system is useless. Though not difficult to use it is cumbersome, slow, and usually does not have an address in the database. We still use our $500 Garmin GPS if we need navigation help.

Excellent
By Andre & Jane on 01/17/07 15:55 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

So far, we have had an excellent experience with our Touareg. After 17,000 miles, we have had no issues. It's fun to drive and quiet. It has the quality materials and the look of a top luxury vehicle.

VW - No Longer the People's Car
By VeroDD on 01/15/07 12:14 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

In my opinion, it's a good looking vehicle but not well thought out. To replace the battery, you must remove the driver's seat and controls. The spare tire is not inflated. It has a 12v air pump to assist you, only if you do not have a dead battery. The rear seats must have the head rests removed in order to be lowered. The rain sensing wipers have a mind of their own and run randomly. The exterior paint is VERY soft. Just the slightest brush against it and it scratches. The tires are worn out at 20,000 miles. The dealer says I'm lucky. Most fail earlier. Parts fall off! A cover for the rear wiper and one of the VW emblems just fell off. This was not covered under warranty.

Avoid Touareg
By hman on 12/29/06 20:54 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This truck is a sluggish gas guzzler. It has a cheap build and the horrible VW dealer network that treats you like a pain instead of a customer. It looks great outside, but skimps on build quality. The interior finish looks great, but uses cheap materials. Stick to Toyota or if your ego demands, BMW X5 is amazing in comparison.

Fun with Touareg
By george haydu on 12/27/06 09:40 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a very fine and high quality vehicle. Its gas mileage could be better. I consider this the poor man's Porche.