Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Best SUV on the road 4 the money
By Red2006vwtoureg

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this V6 2006 for $35,000 year end special. Ride is so smooth you can fall asleep. I'm 6'4 there is lots of room. If you drive with a light foot you can get 24 mpg on the highway. Sharp looking, handles the road like a sports car. Anyone I give a ride to says it's the nicest SUV they have ever been in. GREAT SMOOTH ride, AWD keeps it on the road in rain or snow.

Favorite Features

Dashboard easy to access. Incredible handling dry or wet surface. Comfortable, pleasant ride. V6 is more than enough power. Love all the features.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a hybrid for better gas mileage. iPod hookup.

Touareg rules
By DJ

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was compelled to write this review on my 06 Touareg after I saw several misguided reviews complaining about mechanical tire wear, gas mileage and maintenance. This isn't a Honda Civic, it's a $40k+ 5,000 lb AWD SUV with tons of safety features and gadgets galore. Tire wear gas mileage & maintenance are all going to be higher, that's what you should expect with any luxury car. If you're not willing or prepared for higher cost of ownership, you shouldn't have bought one. Buy a Honda. That being said this is my 4th VW and although it's more expensive per visit it visits the oil change half as often and has needed nothing more than oil, one set of tires and front brakes over 40k miles.

Favorite Features

The best part of this car is the interior, and since you spend the most time here, it should be awesome. Everything is where it should be. The car, um er SUV drives like better than a standard Golf which is impressive for a 5000 lb car on high profile tires. It rules in the snow too.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seating, At 6'3'', there's not enough room for my legs. The mechanics for folding the rear seats are a joke. Also, there are too many warning bells, it sounds like a patient going into cardiac arrest. The software for the shifting needs improvement, and replace the intake with a Nuspeed unit.

Bittersweet
By Momma's Car

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have yet to own my Touareg for a full year. I brought it from a VW dealership thinking that it would be as close to as buying it new and I have had to replace all four tires. The front brakes were replaced once and just this passed week I had to have ALL brakes and rotors replace! To fill up my tank its about $90 +/-. My husband drives a GMC Yukon with 4-doors and it cost about the same for his gas! Love my VWs but I think after this it's time to move on!

Horrible car
By Terrible

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have so many problems with this car. The brakes scream every time I step on them. Just recently when ever I turn (what sounds like the fan belt) rattles when I turn. The seats are not comfortable, If you have a family and use the back seat a lot you might as well by a boulder to drive because it feels like your riding on one. I don't think the new ones are much better.

Favorite Features

The interior wood is nice and the dash board, it lights up nice at night, but doesn't every car?

Suggested Improvements

I don't know where to begin!

My Experience
By Len

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my touareg after a careful research in publications to see what vehicle could go farther per tank full. I wanted an SUV that could go fast, far, be stable and competent off road. I live in Miami and after several hurricanes I saw huge lines at the gas stations when a hurricane may be heading here. I needed a car that would take me out of the state in case a category 4 or 5 hurricane came here. My touareg v-6 has an epa rating of 21 mpg and a fuel tank 26.6 gal with a theoretical range of 556 miles. I go from my house in Miami, to I-95 to the Florida turnpike to I-75 to the state line using Cruise control and tiptronic on 6 gear in one tank full. This is over 475 miles. This is great.

Favorite Features

Excellent quality. Very quiet. Great highway driving. I just had 30,000 miles and replaced the brake pads. Very expensive. The best mileage can be obtained with near 50 lbs on the tires. Also the tires wear evenly if fully inflated. The car is well treated, cleaned and has never given me any problem

Suggested Improvements

Less weight. I hope there are major improvements for 2010.