Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Love it ,But
By jak54

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this Touareg for about 4000 miles now. It's a great SUV as far as the the ride and handling. I'm not going to complain about the terrible gas mileage. I mean someone else already mentioned this, IT'S A 5500 LB SUV! What bothers me is the cheap plastic they used on in the interior! The decals on the radio presets and on the fans, etc. The supposedly buttons for a garage door opener do not work. Took it to the dealer..he said "use your own opener"...and the stereo controls...shouldn't they be on the steering wheel? Bells and whistles don't mean much if they don't work. Oh, and the VW logo in the center of the wheels, is glued on!

Favorite Features

The ride ..the feel of the road...the secure feeling you get driving it. Comfortable interior and the stereo. The style of the exterior and for me, not too many on the road. All in all, it's a great SUV, if you don't mind going to the dealer every once in a while to replace the dumb decals!

Suggested Improvements

More efficient engine...quality parts in the interior!!!!!!! Place stereo controls on the steering wheel instead of the cruise control..you use the stereo controls many times a day..how many times do you use the cruise control? mp3 dock would be nice.

The Amazing V10 Diesel
By SLA

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I had a 2004 Touareg V8 before this one and it had a lot of electrical problems. Replaced it with the V10 and couldn't be happier, one of the best vehicles I have owned. It has amazing performance, gets very good fuel economy considering its weight and size and will tow over 7700 lbs. Haven't had any problems with it, just normal maintenance, which isn't cheap but I have a prepaid maint. plan. It does eat up tires but haven't had to replace the brakes (30k miles).

Favorite Features

Performance. Towing capbility. Off road capability.

Suggested Improvements

A lower setting for the air suspension to improve highway handling/economy.

For your consideration
By NJTouareg

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used 2006 Touareg in May 2009. Within 2 days it had to be towed to get the ignition coils replaced. Shortly thereafter it was dead in the street, alternator and battery. The day after the alternator was replaced, the drive shaft went. Fortunately, all this was still covered. Two things concern me: first, did VW knowingly make a vehicle with so many major flaws that they wanted to compete in the luxury market? And second, what does VW do when the "certify" a used vehicle? To date Burlington VW has been good about repairing everything, but even they are starting to consider whether or not we should keep the vehicle. Despite all above, still like the truck, if it will run....

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, ride. Despite all my difficulties, I find it hard not to love this truck. It is a perfect answer to a man's truck and a Mom Mobile.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability.

Dishonest maker
By Lisa

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Touareg by default, the first one had so many electrical issues that I took it back to the dealer and refused to pay for it any longer. So being the generous automaker/dealer they decided they would let me out of that lease but only if I would resign a lease with them for the NEW AND IMPROVED 2006 Touareg. I did, I really liked the look and the way it handled. The 2006 version has been a nightmare, first the noise caused by some unknown vibration, dealer fixed by adding foam behind the dash, then when I complained of the continued vibration I was told it was my tires. I replaced my tires it improved put did not fix. Brakes bad, ridiculous cost to replace but its not just the

Favorite Features

brake pads its the rotors too. Now for the kicker, the 2006 has a driveshaft that was not made properly and is not strong enough for the car, it broke!!! $1004 to replace and don't plan on getting any help replacing that, even though they know it is an issue. It should have been a recall, but it

Suggested Improvements

will last long enough to get you past your warranty date. If you have problems with vibration, go to the dealer, insist that they replace the driveshaft with the V8 before you are out of warranty.Don't fall for the same run around I got. It isn't your tires.

New Used VW Owner
By lapink

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I made the switch from a BMW 328ci to a big (for me) SUV. I bought this car used and I haven't owned it long, but I'm already in love. I guess I'll have to write again when I've put on more miles. It handles superb on the highway and in the snow. This car is smooth making it hard to keep it anywhere near speed limit. I looked at many other "high class" SUVs, but I had to go with the poor mans Cayenne. I felt spoiled by all the unbelievable extras in the V8 Touareg. There's no way I could get this car new. It amazes me that a VW could go for so much, but used it's a great deal. Plus, unlike other vehicles, it's nice to have a car that few people have and get many compliments.

Favorite Features

Navigation of upcoming turns show in front of driver along with on nav. screen, navigation can be used while car is in motion (hello, passenger!), comfy seating, roomy back seat, different style of roof rack, and heated back seats to make my friends feel spoiled. Oh, and I love the compliments!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel, but hello, I bought an SUV! I'm disappointed VW doesn't make a good dog divider (they need to take a lesson from Volvo). I wish the navigation map showed the vehicle moving like a Garmin does and not always pointing north. Warning sounds are too loud and can get annoying.