2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews 2

2006 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Best SUV on the road 4 the money
By Red2006vwtoureg on 02/05/09 22:38 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this V6 2006 for $35,000 year end special. Ride is so smooth you can fall asleep. I'm 6'4 there is lots of room. If you drive with a light foot you can get 24 mpg on the highway. Sharp looking, handles the road like a sports car. Anyone I give a ride to says it's the nicest SUV they have ever been in. GREAT SMOOTH ride, AWD keeps it on the road in rain or snow.

Touareg rules
By DJ on 10/27/08 17:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was compelled to write this review on my 06 Touareg after I saw several misguided reviews complaining about mechanical tire wear, gas mileage and maintenance. This isn't a Honda Civic, it's a $40k+ 5,000 lb AWD SUV with tons of safety features and gadgets galore. Tire wear gas mileage & maintenance are all going to be higher, that's what you should expect with any luxury car. If you're not willing or prepared for higher cost of ownership, you shouldn't have bought one. Buy a Honda. That being said this is my 4th VW and although it's more expensive per visit it visits the oil change half as often and has needed nothing more than oil, one set of tires and front brakes over 40k miles.

Bittersweet
By Momma's Car on 10/13/08 11:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have yet to own my Touareg for a full year. I brought it from a VW dealership thinking that it would be as close to as buying it new and I have had to replace all four tires. The front brakes were replaced once and just this passed week I had to have ALL brakes and rotors replace! To fill up my tank its about $90 +/-. My husband drives a GMC Yukon with 4-doors and it cost about the same for his gas! Love my VWs but I think after this it's time to move on!

Horrible car
By Terrible on 10/05/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have so many problems with this car. The brakes scream every time I step on them. Just recently when ever I turn (what sounds like the fan belt) rattles when I turn. The seats are not comfortable, If you have a family and use the back seat a lot you might as well by a boulder to drive because it feels like your riding on one. I don't think the new ones are much better.

My Experience
By Len on 10/03/08 07:58 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my touareg after a careful research in publications to see what vehicle could go farther per tank full. I wanted an SUV that could go fast, far, be stable and competent off road. I live in Miami and after several hurricanes I saw huge lines at the gas stations when a hurricane may be heading here. I needed a car that would take me out of the state in case a category 4 or 5 hurricane came here. My touareg v-6 has an epa rating of 21 mpg and a fuel tank 26.6 gal with a theoretical range of 556 miles. I go from my house in Miami, to I-95 to the Florida turnpike to I-75 to the state line using Cruise control and tiptronic on 6 gear in one tank full. This is over 475 miles. This is great.

Major Issues
By ttrag on 09/02/08 13:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my car into the shop multiple times for issues with the computer and they can not seem to get them straight. Most recently I have had to replace the brakes (including the rotors). I was told by someone in the service department that this was very common and that there were a lot of "Unhappy Touareg Customers". I was basically told that I would have to spend $1,500 dollars every two years on the brakes with this car. To add to this...when I called into Volkswagen's customer care department and was told that the problem was merely related to my driving habits. I have children or pets in my vehicle most of the time and I assure you that my driving habits are average at most.

Tons of fun
By AADAM on 06/26/08 21:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I love driving my Tdi Touareg daily. It is a blast; tons of torque and hp which makes it a lot of fun. We put the car on a rolling chassis dyno to see what it would do and how much power and torque it would lose through the drivetrain; from the engine to the tires. We were pleasantly suprised. It is rated at 310 hp and 554 lb-ft at the motor so I thought it should put down somewhere around 250-260 hp and 460- 485 lb-ft of torque at the tires. The dyno results surprised us all to say the least; 299 hp and 548 lb-ft torque at the tires; damn near matched the power ratings which were listed as at the flywheel. It is very difficult not to drive it with your foot to the pedal. Brakes are super as well. Super!!

Tires/Suspension
By vman on 06/20/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fun to drive and excellent winter driving vehicle. Problem: Tire cupping and road noise after 5-6000 miles. Have had tires replaced on two occasions, two alignments and at 32,000 miles VW now says they won't fully warranty the tire issue. Issues not fully resolved yet!!

atrocious brakes
By Brian Randall on 03/31/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

In less than 20,000 miles of city driving it is necessary to replace front and back brakes at a cost of $1800.00. This is considered normal according to the service department. I have driven SUVs for 20 years and have never had to replace brakes. Volkswagen offers no assistance and only warranties for 12,000 miles, which is useless. I would warn any potential buyers of the Touareg that they can expect a $1800 brake expense every 12-20,000 miles.

Jenny Craig Has Met Her Match
By Dan on 02/11/08 16:46 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This car needs to lose 1000lbs. Fast. I just traded a 2006 BMW 330i for my Touarag and love it for what it is. It is a heavy, cumbersome mammoth of a SUV. Truly capable both off and on- road, through any weather and virtually any terrain, even when limited by stock tires. The engine is responsive and flexible, but the transmission hunts for gears way too often. The interior looks well-made; but there are far too many rattles. The gadgets all work together to create marvelous ergonomics, but they're not reliable on a day-to-day basis. Great brakes, fantastic suspension, over-boosted steering. Fuel economy is atrocious, but that's to be expected with a 5200-lb SUV.