2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV 4.2L V8 AWD 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

V8 4dr SUV (4.2L V8 AWD 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Stung by the pollen filters and drowning in water
By blonde53 on 11/03/12 04:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

It's like a death. Or a... divorce maybe? You love your vehicle and then you find out it was all a lie. Beware of the pollen filters! They have a design flaw and they clog so ... when you drive in rain the water will get trapped in your footwell. This is true if you own a Passat or Jetta. They have the same problem. In the Touareg it will cost you 6 grand and that will not be the end of your problem. VW has been aware of the flaw... sued in the New Jersey courts . Google to read lawsuit. Once the water has destroyed your AWD module and started to rust your car and mold begins to grow... your car is really worthless trying to sell it. VW does NOT care about its customers. DO NOT BUY VW's!

New Used VW Owner
By lapink on 02/22/09 21:07 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I made the switch from a BMW 328ci to a big (for me) SUV. I bought this car used and I haven't owned it long, but I'm already in love. I guess I'll have to write again when I've put on more miles. It handles superb on the highway and in the snow. This car is smooth making it hard to keep it anywhere near speed limit. I looked at many other "high class" SUVs, but I had to go with the poor mans Cayenne. I felt spoiled by all the unbelievable extras in the V8 Touareg. There's no way I could get this car new. It amazes me that a VW could go for so much, but used it's a great deal. Plus, unlike other vehicles, it's nice to have a car that few people have and get many compliments.

Tires/Suspension
By vman on 06/20/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fun to drive and excellent winter driving vehicle. Problem: Tire cupping and road noise after 5-6000 miles. Have had tires replaced on two occasions, two alignments and at 32,000 miles VW now says they won't fully warranty the tire issue. Issues not fully resolved yet!!

Jenny Craig Has Met Her Match
By Dan on 02/11/08 16:46 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This car needs to lose 1000lbs. Fast. I just traded a 2006 BMW 330i for my Touarag and love it for what it is. It is a heavy, cumbersome mammoth of a SUV. Truly capable both off and on- road, through any weather and virtually any terrain, even when limited by stock tires. The engine is responsive and flexible, but the transmission hunts for gears way too often. The interior looks well-made; but there are far too many rattles. The gadgets all work together to create marvelous ergonomics, but they're not reliable on a day-to-day basis. Great brakes, fantastic suspension, over-boosted steering. Fuel economy is atrocious, but that's to be expected with a 5200-lb SUV.

An Opinion
By wscott3d on 01/20/08 16:34 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Controls somewhat cumbersome, transmission is too tight, shifting can be abrubt. But this cars ride and acceleration are tops. I use mine outdoors often, ability to raise body got me through some tight spots. Also has decent tow ability with it's heavy build and motor. the ability to fold seats down allows packing camping gear for 3. When on the road, acceleration in this engine is excellent and mine gives a slight throaty roar during shifts due to the sport gearing. This tranny is DIFFERENT, self shift or select sport gear or just a standard ride. Great city/country car that is reliable.

Touareg V8
By Vermonter on 04/23/07 16:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

At first I was hesitant to buy this car because of poor ratings for the 04 model. I'm glad I did. It gets better gas mileage (18 mpg) than the 02 Explorer, had every possible option, sounds outstanding when hitting the gas, and the stereo with navigation is close to what I have in my house. This car drives like the Porsche for about 15K less cash. Excellent capability this winter in the snow, excellent handling.

Skip the Nav
By Bob on 03/21/07 18:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have a special edition Touareg with 19" wheels, DVD Navigation and other goodies. The car is very competent in traffic, freeway, tight roads, and rough roads. Its fuel economy is not good, but we knew that when we bought it. In 3,000 miles, the only two complaints we have is that the radio or CD player comes on with the backup camera, even if it was off when the car was parked. The other problem is the navigation system is useless. Though not difficult to use it is cumbersome, slow, and usually does not have an address in the database. We still use our $500 Garmin GPS if we need navigation help.

Fun with Touareg
By george haydu on 12/27/06 09:40 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a very fine and high quality vehicle. Its gas mileage could be better. I consider this the poor man's Porche.

Luxury and High Tech Performance!
By Elizabeth on 12/14/06 08:52 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is an exceptionally high-quality vehicle! I am very pleased with its handling, the quality of the interior, the durability, and the features. VW has really stepped up and provided buyers with a luxury SUV that drives like a luxury car, but has a "Sport" mode which gives it a much sportier drive feel as well. The cargo space is very functional and taller than most other mid-size SUVs that I tested, which is ideal for a large dog! :) The features are almost unsurpassed and even the 2007 Benz doesn't offer several features that the 2006 VW Touareg provides (I know because my friend brought home a brochure). I had a Benz SUV before the Touareg and the Touareg outshines it. The Touareg is a very pleasant surprise!

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8
By Harald Konheiser on 11/21/06 09:15 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven many SUVs and this one is by far the best. I just love it. It is very fun to drive! Unfortunately my dealer's "after sale" support has been poor!