Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Maintenance is the key....
By chazthephoenix

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

As with all used vehicles, the quality of the experience is directly correlated to the previous owner. Yes, VW under estimated the finish on the buttons on the interior, but they over estimated the quality of the drivetrain. THIS VEHICLE WILL GO ANYWHERE. We bought ours used...a 2006 V6 with 48k...thats in immaculate shape. The ride is excellent, handles excellent in the snow, its just feels sturdy. yes, its not great on gas...neither was my explorer that I had before this. This is affordable luxury. My suggestion: buy the extended warranty. You will thank me!

4 motion all wheel drive system. excellent seating

VW should retune everyones ECU for better gas milage FREE OF CHARGE

First time VW owner
By jkhintx

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Never thought I would own a VW. Always drove Honda or Nissan vehicles. I love my Touareg! It handles better than anything from Japan and it is sooo tight. I have 61K miles on it and I am putting brakes on now. Rotors all okay the way around and having a friend put pads and wire sensors on both axles. It always pays to have a good friend who is a mechanic.

Great handling, and great brakes. Pretty quiet inside even in strong crosswinds. Cools under any condition and heats the same. No squeaks or rattles. Good sound system.

Back up camera standard. CD Changer in dash

Love my Touareg
By Mbaye

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I read the comments but overall, they were not bad! They were 8.3 on a scale of 10 for consumers and 7.8 for the editors! Personally, I don't think this is as bad as some "wieners" must think. Think about the alternative Toyotas! The car does not accelerate and it is made to work as intended! It is a car for raggedy and tough road conditions like the Sahara desert in Africa or the bad road in Africa! The only think I think they should improve on is MILEAGE per gallon, but again, you are not driving a hybrid here! Bottom line this is a great car, backed by a reliable builder, and a trustworthy holding company named PORSCHE! The car shares many parts with the Porsche (same chassis)!

All of it!

Miles per gallon

Love it ,But
By jak54

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this Touareg for about 4000 miles now. It's a great SUV as far as the the ride and handling. I'm not going to complain about the terrible gas mileage. I mean someone else already mentioned this, IT'S A 5500 LB SUV! What bothers me is the cheap plastic they used on in the interior! The decals on the radio presets and on the fans, etc. The supposedly buttons for a garage door opener do not work. Took it to the dealer..he said "use your own opener"...and the stereo controls...shouldn't they be on the steering wheel? Bells and whistles don't mean much if they don't work. Oh, and the VW logo in the center of the wheels, is glued on!

The ride ..the feel of the road...the secure feeling you get driving it. Comfortable interior and the stereo. The style of the exterior and for me, not too many on the road. All in all, it's a great SUV, if you don't mind going to the dealer every once in a while to replace the dumb decals!

More efficient engine...quality parts in the interior!!!!!!! Place stereo controls on the steering wheel instead of the cruise control..you use the stereo controls many times a day..how many times do you use the cruise control? mp3 dock would be nice.

For your consideration
By NJTouareg

2006 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used 2006 Touareg in May 2009. Within 2 days it had to be towed to get the ignition coils replaced. Shortly thereafter it was dead in the street, alternator and battery. The day after the alternator was replaced, the drive shaft went. Fortunately, all this was still covered. Two things concern me: first, did VW knowingly make a vehicle with so many major flaws that they wanted to compete in the luxury market? And second, what does VW do when the "certify" a used vehicle? To date Burlington VW has been good about repairing everything, but even they are starting to consider whether or not we should keep the vehicle. Despite all above, still like the truck, if it will run....

Styling, performance, ride. Despite all my difficulties, I find it hard not to love this truck. It is a perfect answer to a man's truck and a Mom Mobile.

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability.