2006 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Maintenance is the key....
By chazthephoenix on 04/13/12 11:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

As with all used vehicles, the quality of the experience is directly correlated to the previous owner. Yes, VW under estimated the finish on the buttons on the interior, but they over estimated the quality of the drivetrain. THIS VEHICLE WILL GO ANYWHERE. We bought ours used...a 2006 V6 with 48k...thats in immaculate shape. The ride is excellent, handles excellent in the snow, its just feels sturdy. yes, its not great on gas...neither was my explorer that I had before this. This is affordable luxury. My suggestion: buy the extended warranty. You will thank me!

First time VW owner
By jkhintx on 04/24/11 23:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Never thought I would own a VW. Always drove Honda or Nissan vehicles. I love my Touareg! It handles better than anything from Japan and it is sooo tight. I have 61K miles on it and I am putting brakes on now. Rotors all okay the way around and having a friend put pads and wire sensors on both axles. It always pays to have a good friend who is a mechanic.

Love my Touareg
By Mbaye on 03/09/10 12:54 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I read the comments but overall, they were not bad! They were 8.3 on a scale of 10 for consumers and 7.8 for the editors! Personally, I don't think this is as bad as some "wieners" must think. Think about the alternative Toyotas! The car does not accelerate and it is made to work as intended! It is a car for raggedy and tough road conditions like the Sahara desert in Africa or the bad road in Africa! The only think I think they should improve on is MILEAGE per gallon, but again, you are not driving a hybrid here! Bottom line this is a great car, backed by a reliable builder, and a trustworthy holding company named PORSCHE! The car shares many parts with the Porsche (same chassis)!

Love it ,But
By jak54 on 09/12/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this Touareg for about 4000 miles now. It's a great SUV as far as the the ride and handling. I'm not going to complain about the terrible gas mileage. I mean someone else already mentioned this, IT'S A 5500 LB SUV! What bothers me is the cheap plastic they used on in the interior! The decals on the radio presets and on the fans, etc. The supposedly buttons for a garage door opener do not work. Took it to the dealer..he said "use your own opener"...and the stereo controls...shouldn't they be on the steering wheel? Bells and whistles don't mean much if they don't work. Oh, and the VW logo in the center of the wheels, is glued on!

For your consideration
By NJTouareg on 08/15/09 18:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used 2006 Touareg in May 2009. Within 2 days it had to be towed to get the ignition coils replaced. Shortly thereafter it was dead in the street, alternator and battery. The day after the alternator was replaced, the drive shaft went. Fortunately, all this was still covered. Two things concern me: first, did VW knowingly make a vehicle with so many major flaws that they wanted to compete in the luxury market? And second, what does VW do when the "certify" a used vehicle? To date Burlington VW has been good about repairing everything, but even they are starting to consider whether or not we should keep the vehicle. Despite all above, still like the truck, if it will run....

Dishonest maker
By Lisa on 03/17/09 05:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Touareg by default, the first one had so many electrical issues that I took it back to the dealer and refused to pay for it any longer. So being the generous automaker/dealer they decided they would let me out of that lease but only if I would resign a lease with them for the NEW AND IMPROVED 2006 Touareg. I did, I really liked the look and the way it handled. The 2006 version has been a nightmare, first the noise caused by some unknown vibration, dealer fixed by adding foam behind the dash, then when I complained of the continued vibration I was told it was my tires. I replaced my tires it improved put did not fix. Brakes bad, ridiculous cost to replace but its not just the

Best SUV on the road 4 the money
By Red2006vwtoureg on 02/05/09 22:38 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this V6 2006 for $35,000 year end special. Ride is so smooth you can fall asleep. I'm 6'4 there is lots of room. If you drive with a light foot you can get 24 mpg on the highway. Sharp looking, handles the road like a sports car. Anyone I give a ride to says it's the nicest SUV they have ever been in. GREAT SMOOTH ride, AWD keeps it on the road in rain or snow.

Touareg rules
By DJ on 10/27/08 17:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was compelled to write this review on my 06 Touareg after I saw several misguided reviews complaining about mechanical tire wear, gas mileage and maintenance. This isn't a Honda Civic, it's a $40k+ 5,000 lb AWD SUV with tons of safety features and gadgets galore. Tire wear gas mileage & maintenance are all going to be higher, that's what you should expect with any luxury car. If you're not willing or prepared for higher cost of ownership, you shouldn't have bought one. Buy a Honda. That being said this is my 4th VW and although it's more expensive per visit it visits the oil change half as often and has needed nothing more than oil, one set of tires and front brakes over 40k miles.

Bittersweet
By Momma's Car on 10/13/08 11:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have yet to own my Touareg for a full year. I brought it from a VW dealership thinking that it would be as close to as buying it new and I have had to replace all four tires. The front brakes were replaced once and just this passed week I had to have ALL brakes and rotors replace! To fill up my tank its about $90 +/-. My husband drives a GMC Yukon with 4-doors and it cost about the same for his gas! Love my VWs but I think after this it's time to move on!

Horrible car
By Terrible on 10/05/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have so many problems with this car. The brakes scream every time I step on them. Just recently when ever I turn (what sounds like the fan belt) rattles when I turn. The seats are not comfortable, If you have a family and use the back seat a lot you might as well by a boulder to drive because it feels like your riding on one. I don't think the new ones are much better.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.