Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Stung by the pollen filters and drowning in water
By blonde53

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

It's like a death. Or a... divorce maybe? You love your vehicle and then you find out it was all a lie. Beware of the pollen filters! They have a design flaw and they clog so ... when you drive in rain the water will get trapped in your footwell. This is true if you own a Passat or Jetta. They have the same problem. In the Touareg it will cost you 6 grand and that will not be the end of your problem. VW has been aware of the flaw... sued in the New Jersey courts . Google to read lawsuit. Once the water has destroyed your AWD module and started to rust your car and mold begins to grow... your car is really worthless trying to sell it. VW does NOT care about its customers. DO NOT BUY VW's!

Favorite Features

No longer have any favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the pollen filters. Or... clean them when the vehicle is serviced as you agreed to per the lawsuit in Jersey. Do not train your service dept to lie to the customers and suggest the customer commit fraud by calling their insurance companies to pay for what is your design flaw. As one tech told me in a whisper..."you need to have your insurance company TOTAL you car". Total my car? I frankly can not stand to watch VW commercials which are flooding the market . VW gives you a great driving experience intially but beware. It's all a lie. If you own a VW take it to your dealer and make sure your pollen filters are clean and free of debris and make sure they look in the footwell for water.

Maintenance is the key....
By chazthephoenix

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

As with all used vehicles, the quality of the experience is directly correlated to the previous owner. Yes, VW under estimated the finish on the buttons on the interior, but they over estimated the quality of the drivetrain. THIS VEHICLE WILL GO ANYWHERE. We bought ours used...a 2006 V6 with 48k...thats in immaculate shape. The ride is excellent, handles excellent in the snow, its just feels sturdy. yes, its not great on gas...neither was my explorer that I had before this. This is affordable luxury. My suggestion: buy the extended warranty. You will thank me!

Favorite Features

4 motion all wheel drive system. excellent seating

Suggested Improvements

VW should retune everyones ECU for better gas milage FREE OF CHARGE

First time VW owner
By jkhintx

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Never thought I would own a VW. Always drove Honda or Nissan vehicles. I love my Touareg! It handles better than anything from Japan and it is sooo tight. I have 61K miles on it and I am putting brakes on now. Rotors all okay the way around and having a friend put pads and wire sensors on both axles. It always pays to have a good friend who is a mechanic.

Favorite Features

Great handling, and great brakes. Pretty quiet inside even in strong crosswinds. Cools under any condition and heats the same. No squeaks or rattles. Good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Back up camera standard. CD Changer in dash

Replaced Cayenne S with V10 TDI
By Lee

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

When our 2004 Cayenne S had nearly 100k miles, I bought a 2007 Dodge with 5.7 Hemi to tow with. After one off-ramp at the speed I considered normal in the Cayenne, the Dodge had completely spooked and disappointed me. I found a 2006 VW with 5.0 TDI and bought it with 29k miles. Very satisfied with it, especially mileage (15+ city, 23+ Hwy, 19.0 overall, and 14.3 towing a 5800 lb race car trailer!) Also, it had air suspension that hadn't been available in the Cayenne S when we bought it. Very good. Finally, backup camera is wonderful! Can hook up trailer on first try. Only negatives. The Nav system is pitiful, and no tire pressure monitor in this one. Audio good, not great.

Love my Touareg
By Mbaye

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I read the comments but overall, they were not bad! They were 8.3 on a scale of 10 for consumers and 7.8 for the editors! Personally, I don't think this is as bad as some "wieners" must think. Think about the alternative Toyotas! The car does not accelerate and it is made to work as intended! It is a car for raggedy and tough road conditions like the Sahara desert in Africa or the bad road in Africa! The only think I think they should improve on is MILEAGE per gallon, but again, you are not driving a hybrid here! Bottom line this is a great car, backed by a reliable builder, and a trustworthy holding company named PORSCHE! The car shares many parts with the Porsche (same chassis)!

Favorite Features

All of it!

Suggested Improvements

Miles per gallon