2005 Volkswagen Touareg 4.2L V8 AWD 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Not great but ok.

2005 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Review

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

V8 4dr SUV (4.2L V8 AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Not great but ok.
By SEAN9 on

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I am a mechanic for a used German car dealer and I bought this trade in for fun, its a late build 2005. BTW 2004 is a lemon, mid to late build 2005+ is a good car. Positives: Interior, exterior, solid vehicle. Negatives: Terrible gas mileage, 6 speed transmission shifts constantly and hard, radio is horrific, small interior, too many electronic gizmos. 4.2L Audi engine is excellent. Its a tough German car not a smooth Japanese car. If you don't believe me go to web VW boards and check the car out, the transmission is the worst aspect of this vehicle but you can reprogram it with some success. Overall nice and somewhat better than some of the Mercedes I work on.

Favorite Features

Overall quality is equivalent to better than some of the competing German brands.

Suggested Improvements

I drove a 2008 toureg 2 at a competing dealership and it shifts better then my 2005 but not on the level as a lexus or toyota. Overall the car is a great highway car but if you need a quick / smooth shifting city car for lots of traffic its a handful and will wear you out.