2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
This Truck is Awesome!
By Joseph on 07/27/05 13:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've had my Volkswagen Touareg for about a year now and I love it! Before I purchased it, I was thinking about the Lexus RX 330. But, then when I look at it, Lexus RX was not macho enough and the T-Reg was more "manly" looking. I love it, its the best SUV out there for the money.

Awesome SUV
By sk on 07/25/05 17:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We did much research before buying our Toureg.... After looking at a lot of different SUV's this was by far the best choice for towing and a luxury vehicle. We have been so happy with this car and have recommended it to so many other people. Our friends even bought a Touareg off our recommendation and have also been very happy. Yes the gas mileage is not the best, but we didn't expect to get the best gas mileage for this car, if we wanted that, we would have looked at a high bread vehicle instead. The power in this car is great and makes a great tow vehicle. It is very comfortable and we have not had any issues with it at all expect to take it in to fix the radio, (re-boot it).

Hate this truck!
By Hate my Toureg on 07/25/05 17:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

In the past 16 months we have had too many electrical problems to count; not to mention off the top of my head: 6 radio changes, many wood panel replacements (they crack in the heat & cold - go figure) a leaking moon roof, the power windows have no power at the moment, a squeak in the wheel that the service department "can't figure out", the computer system for the car reads one thing and the service department says another. We have had no luck or help from VW USA - they have "been reviewing the case" for months, no one ever calls us back after promising to do so. Don't not buy this car - i am trading it in tonight for a Ford Explorer - at least at Ford they call me back. Good riddance!

my experience
By Preston on 07/25/05 15:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We are very happy with our SUV. It not only does it do well off-road, it is exceptional in the city. We park it on the street and are confident in its safety and reliabilty.

Fun to drive, if and when if ever works!
By grvlguy on 07/23/05 15:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love this car...hate VW, hate the dealer..Nothing but bugs, problems, cracking wood trim, every week this car has another problem. VW failed on this, but to think the sorry dealership network they have can actually take care of a customer with a $50,000 car is the joke of the century. Run away from this vehicle, VW or America, and the dealerships as fast as you can.

Brilliant SUV
By Henry20 on 07/20/05 19:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My parents bought me a VW Touareg as a welcome home gift from College this May. I was excited but at the same time apprehensive because I have heard/read that this SUV has many problems et al. I got it and me and my buddies went up to New Hampshire and it was the best automobile I have ever driven in my life(last car was a 2002 330i)! I had to take it in for a glitch in the airbag system and for a temperature gauge malfunction but have been tremendously satisfied with it! Superb road handling on wet, grueling, everything-nature-throws-at-you New Hampshire backroads and on the highways. I now have 12,500 miles on my Touareg, offroading and highway/city. Definately buy if you have the chance!

Touareg the perfect 10 for midsize SUV
By gisela on 07/20/05 09:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is a perfect 10. Quality and performance what one expects from a solid, no mistakes superior build german vehicle. I know what I am talking about. I own a collision repair facility. Seing how some vehicles perform in crashes made me look even harder when I decided to by an SUV. I am absolutely thrilled and do not regret buying this vehicle one second. Recommend this vehicle highly. The fuel economy exceeded the posted sticker by far. I decided on the V6 with Pkg# 2, plus Sound System. That's all I needed. Have several other vehicles, so this one is for my pleasure only. And what a pleasure to drive it is. Advise: Buy it!

Who even knows?
By Sevs on 07/18/05 15:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

After already going through one Touareg, I'm onto the next. My 2004 was replaced under the lemon law due to transmission problems and I received my '05 this past May. After driving the car for 3 months I noticed hesitations and horrible clunking noises during up/downshifts. The transmission in this car is downright scary. I have pulled out into intersections with plenty of time and the car hesitates and then takes off like no other. It is almost like the transmission has to think for a few seconds before it does anything. Sensors and warning lights going off at all times for no reason and horrible OEM tires. So far so good with the 2005, but stay away from the '04s.

ride professional - nav amateur
By Paul on 07/17/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I tested many SUVs and my two finalists were the LR3 and the vw. The LR3 was lots of fun, but the vw had much superior handling. The drive for a vehicle this size is amazing. Not like the 530i I had just left, but much better than anything else I test drove. Still after 8K, it is a great driving vehicle. The gas mileage is very poor. The radio/navigation system is so poorly designed that I need much more than the 700 words alloted. If a fifth grader designed it he/she should not get to the 6th grade. I tried to get to VP Len Hunt in charge of this area, to tell him about the design flaws, but was told he does not take calls from owners. Now I know why this will never improve.

The annoying stuff...
By Thomas on 07/10/05 16:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The V6 is underpowered, but performs well for a vehicle this weight. Smooth ride and excellent handling. After 40k miles in one year, thankfully, no maintenance nightmares. Only annoying stuff that keeps you coming back to the dealership - tire pressure sensors always going out, allignment issues, and way too many recalls. Dealership (Boardwalk VW, Dallas) has an excellent service dept, highly recommended for those in DFW area. Not as well built as some suggest, a couple of creaks in dash. After reading other reviews, I would also be very upset about the reliability of this vehicle for the price paid, but overall a good experience here.