2005 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Never Again
By never again on 12/16/05 15:36 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have never bought a new vehicle with so many problems. When I first got my Touareg the steering wheel shook and I needed to get an alignment. I have already gotten new brakes. The speakers have constantly been rattling. Also, the radio blew out in my car and made all of the electrical components go out. VW kept my car for 29 days claiming that the part for the radio was on back order. Finally the 17 inch Pirelli tires have blown due to a MFG defect. This is my fist and last VW. Please do not buy a Touareg!

Worst SUV ever
By Bill on 11/09/05 08:20 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Volkswagen Touareg and no support from VW customer care. They hang up the phone on people and their "policy" is you can not speak to a manager ever. The transmission went on mine at 1,900 miles! The dealers ship said VW would only allow them to clear the codes! It is not the dealer's fault VW NA runs them with the warranty and will not let them fix it. I had to start a lemon law, lawsuit to get them to speak with me! They ended up settling just so I would go away. Do yourself a favor read the reviews first, or it will cost you big bucks!

Please Save Yourself from VW
By jeff on 11/09/05 08:13 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Everything started out fine with my Touareg. I have owened 4 VWs so I was excited to own a Touareg. I had read the reviews just like you and thought, OK there are a few bad apples but no problem VW will fix it. Nope they will not fix it, if you have the throttle or transmission issue they will tell you to sue. Check the web and read up, there is a class action lawsuit forming on the Touareg and VW couldn't care less. They would not repair mine after 9 times and refused to replace it or allow it as a trade in. This truck really gets only 8-16 miles per gallon. Please do your homework on this vehicle first. Check the web and see what is going on. If you have a good one be greatful... I thought my T-rex was good too. I finally sold it at 25,000 miles

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD
By thesabels on 10/29/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD is fun to drive and has excellent handling. It is beautifully engineered. The rain-sensing wipers are a very poor idea though. The computerized comfort options are good, but the computer often resets itself with its own ideas. The only reason I would not buy another one is the high cost of routine VW dealer maintenance.

No Big Problems
By Pat on 10/24/05 17:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the V6 Touareg before too many reviews were available. I haven't had the little problems that others report. I have experienced a loud strange noise from the front axles a couple of times. Overall I am happy with the truck. I am very unhappy with the cost of service from my local dealer. Oil changes and some lubrication cost over $200.00! I can't understand that. My service is now being done by an independent mechanic.

2005 Touareg V8
By rick on 10/07/05 21:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Volkswagen Touareg V8 brand new and I fell in love. It has great power, aceleration and excellent brakes. It handles as well on road as well as over water and on uneven pavement. I have not gone off road yet. I dislike the fact that oil changes are so expensive (synthetic) and any little part costs a fortune, ie. windhield wipers $50.00 a piece. Also, I do not like the fact that it gets only 14 miles per gallon in city. Yes, I was aware of this when bought it, but with gas prices and the fact that it uses only premium this is kinda ridiculous. Anyway for other than these little annoyances it runs well and I feel safe in it.

Beautiful Car
By Eric on 09/28/05 21:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I extensively researched this car before purchase. Its exterior design is unique and the interior is luxurious and comfortable. The car (related to the Porsche Cayenne) appears to be worth more than what I paid for it. Also some great deals on 2005 models. Fit and finish are excellent - I poured over every square inch of it and didn’t find any defects. Nada! No excess carpeting, paint overspray, etc. One complaint is the back seat leg room is a little tight - the middle “hump” doesn’t help. Also steering wheel and air conditioning controls are complicated - will have to take some time learning. I look forward to 36 months and/or 36,000 miles of pure enjoyment! LOL

We Love Our VW Touareg
By Nick N on 09/26/05 21:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in a brand new Mercedes-Benz ML 320 for our Touareg. We had nothing but problems with the Mercedes. We cannot believe what a great vehicle the Touareg is. It is fun and stylish.

Outclasses the Rest
By Sozo on 09/08/05 00:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I live in Tokyo. In Japan base models come much better equipped than in N. America. I added an air suspension and leather package and only major thing missing is the s-roof & navigation. I've owned the Lexus RX (it's a 'Toyota' Harrier in Japan - which changes your mind quickly about how luxurious it is!) and the Mercedes-Benz ML 320. The Touareg's quality through and through outclasses these cars and many others I have tested. I have not had the problems many have written about (luckily?) and except for the V6 being a bit gutless this car is fun to drive (especially in sport shift mode and sport suspension!) and costs half as much as the Porsche Cayenne (no air suspension offered on base V6 there!). Off-roading was great as well!

I should have pursued the Lemon Law
By jal on 08/30/05 20:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Transmission clunking on downshifting, service dept said they could not duplicate the problem. Thus, they can not fix it. Tire pressure monitors not working, cracked panels at dash, seat belts locking and have to be cut off. Center carrier barring had to be replaced. I started Lemon Law proceeding on this. It just happens that the day VW recieved by defect notification, "suddenly" they can fix my vehicle. I sold it after less then one year and bought Lexus RX 330 and lost several thousand dollars over my purchase of the 2004 Touareg, SUV of the year. I was so happy to get rid of the VW, and never happier driving a vehicle like the RX330.....