Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Great SUV
By Sharon

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The Volkswagen Touareg is a great car. I have a Toyota SUV, but I like this one better. It is great on the highway and in local traffic. The turning radius is unbelievable.

Favorite Features

The lights on the floor inside and the red lighting at night.

Suggested Improvements

The radio buttons wear easily.

Structure
By wozzie

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I recently hit a large buck in my Touareg. Although the buck was large enough to total a car, my Touareg handled it perfectly (like the tank it is) and got me safely through the accident with minimal damage. Although it has lousy fuel economy, when it comes down to safety, the Touareg is an excellent vehicle to drive where I live in Pennsylvania where there are LOTS of deer.

Favorite Features

The excellent handling.

Suggested Improvements

The Touareg's fuel economy needs to be improved.

Eight Month Driving Experience
By nancey boatwright

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We previously owned a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible and traded into this. We do no off-roading, but loved the body style and needed more room. After eleven months of ownership, I have one chief complaint and that is my Pirelli tires after 17,500 miles are gone. I have been diligent about rotation and inflation, per manufacturer's instructions, but this problem really has me on fire. I to replace them after eleven months of ownership with another brand (Michelin), will cost me $1,200. I have been told by tire manufacturers that the most I could expect to get out of a set of tires would probably be 25,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The navigation system is good. The body style is very sleek. It has lots of bells and whistles on the dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

Design more comfortable back seats, they are too hard. Improve the gas mileage. Improve the ride, it's very rough. Improve the tire wear. It needs a CD player in the front dash, not in the rear of the vehicle.

Do Not Buy!
By Annoyed consumer

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned my Touareg for just over one year. At 15,000 the brakes went down to the rotors. It cost $1,000 to fix. This truck is very poorly made inside can't handle kids at all. I've had too many problems to list. I will be trading it in very soon! Also, it gets very bad gas mileage. It has lots of squeaks and rattles inside. The wood is cracking and the rubber is peeling on driver's door. This is a very sad vehicle.

Favorite Features

Seat heaters!

Suggested Improvements

Better quality.

All Hype and Big Let Down
By Gnat

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought the '05 Touareg off a dealer lot thinking I was saving money on a loaded Luxury SUV with 6,000 miles on it. The first night in my garage the battery died and the key was stuck in the ignition. Then a couple of weeks later the sunroof leaked. Then I noticed moisture in the rear tail light. The SUV's engine sounds rough at low speeds and the disc brakes grab to a startling stop. Oh, and the tires, be ready to replace them at about 15,000 miles. Now for the worst part, the gas mileage, LOL. You better be prepared for a shock there. I averaged 10.75 mpg city and 14 Hwy! Now you ask, why did you buy it? All impulse and the ride is nice, but VW has a sub par product here for a lot of money.

Favorite Features

The radio and nice comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Give it better gas mileage, address all of the items in my review and then some. Who engineered this thing?