Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews - 196 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Beats the X5 and ML
By HS

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned it for about 2 years with almost no problems; the maintenance is very affordable, about once a year for $120 ~ $180. It is fun to drive, beats the X5 and ML hands down. Great handling. The interior is really nice, almost as nice as the Cayenne. Some people say the gas mileage is not that great; I have to partially agree but keep in mind that this is an SUV with lots of horses under the hood. If you are looking for gas mileage then do not buy an SUV.

Love it, but...
By Cody H

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my VW new with only 13 miles on it. I have to say, I love this car, I like how it drives and the pure power. The only down side are the brakes and tires. I had the first set of tires replaced at 8700 miles under the tire warranty, I still had to pay $220.00. Then the brakes at 15000 miles, that was $600.00. Now at 27000 miles I need another set of tires. For some reason the car loves to wear out the tires. I take it to the VW dealer every 5000 miles for its oil change and tire rotation. So a car that is two years old with 27000 miles has a new set of brakes and rotors, and on it's third set of tires. Be prepared to spend some money!

Love the remote locks, nav system, climate control is always right on. Oh and the power!! Love the V8, only way to go.

Fix the tire problem and the brakes. Why does a $50K auto need to eat up tires and brakes? That's it, love the car!

Great buy!
By fjl-v

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Was lucky enough to buy a 2005 V6 with only 8000 miles, now up to 12000 miles. Free of any problems so far. I love to drive it; it is luxurious with a quiet ride, has an impeccable interior, great handling, feels solid and very safe, definitely underpowered with the v6, recommend driving in the S mode, transmission and shifting is great, heavy and poor acceleration especially when compared with my 2006 X3. The stereo system is disappointing at any volume above 21 (especially the bass). If economy is not your concern, buy the V8 or V10 diesel version.

Elegant, luxurious interior with great ride, solidity and safety. I love driving it over the BMW X5 of that year.

Just what I wanted
By Yevgeniy

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

When I saw Touareg first time on a car show, I knew that I would own it. I fell in love with it right away. Although I knew that I should wait a year or two before buying just to see that all the minor problems/defects and recalls will be fixed. So in 2005 finally got it. My choice was a V-6 with package 5, which includes all options, such as air suspension, navigation, etc. Exterior color is black, interior is beige. So after 1 1/2 years and 30K miles I still enjoy every minute I spend driving it. The only downside - fuel economy. Even for V-6 and a large gas tank, you will spend quite a bit of money on gas. Other then that it is perfect car. My wife has a VW as well and loves it too.

Exterior and interior design. Build quality. Long range drive is easy and fun. Sound quality. Controls access.

Improve gas mileage.

The best SUV I've ever driven!!
By Ted

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is hands down the best SUV I have ever driven. I considered 8 others and the Touareg is the best SUV for the money. It's not a "soccer mom" car. It's an SUV that's fun to drive, has lots of options and drives like a car. I recommend this vehicle if you like quality and performance.