Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Always fun to drive
By vwfun

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Touareg is really fun to drive. I do not drive very much nor do I require extreme performance and Touareg seems to fit my profile extremely well. I want a reliable drive in snow and Touareg is awesome in that respect. I have read about lots of issues on lower VIN Touaregs, but the only problem (which was easily fixed) was fast running clock. So if you are in the market for these I would recommend higher than 65k VIN as I have very positive experience.

Favorite Features

Interior in general, quiet ride, handling in winter conditions, downward tilting side mirror when gear in reverse, 150$ 20gb mp3 player instead of cd changer

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, wider trunk

Piece of CRAP car
By lesbeck

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I would not recommend this car to anyone who is not a millionaire with money to burn and likes to have their car in the shop at least once a month. We bought this car brand new, zero miles on it and had to bring it into the shop within the first month. It was all downhill from there. Every mechanical piece on the car was replaced under warranty (which we extended to five years immediately) except for the motor, which I am sure would run forever while all the other peices of the car fall off all over the road. Sadly, I had to buy a back-up car so I had something reliable to go to work in and had to carry a battery for the key in my purse, because you never knew when the car would not unlock.

Favorite Features

I LIKED that the leather seats were so comfortable that on long trips, I felt better getting out of the car than when I got in it at the start of the trip. I LOVED the deep blue color. I liked the body style of this model. I liked that when I pressed on the gas, that it would turn heads

Suggested Improvements

Lower the price. A crappy car that needs so much money in maintenance and repair should not be priced so high. How about fixing the transmission so it actually WORKS with the V8 that is in it.

Just traded mine in for a Turbo Outback
By Syracuse

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

After many recalls, and many problems, I finally gave in and traded mine in. Took a big hit, but it was well worth it. My new car has 12,000 on it, and hasn't been to the dealer yet. VW made a great looking SUV that test drives well, but is terrible to live with. Their service department isn't up to the standards set by other manufacturers in this price range. I owned a Saab previously, and although it spent too much time in the shop, the service dept was knowledgeable and always had a loaner. Bottom line, getting rid of my Touareg was worth it (simply so I wouldn't be reminded of my poor buying decision every day).

Favorite Features

Great looking and drove very well when working.

Suggested Improvements

If your vehicles are going to need to be serviced constantly, your dealers should be prepared to take exceptional care of the customer. The nicest thing about my new vehicle is that I have no idea if their service department is any good. At the rate it's going, I may never know . . .

Repairs - Often and Expensive
By 1st_andlast_vw

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Like previous posts I would not recommed this car to anyone unless they like paying for rental cars and expensive repairs. Just had my drive shaft replaced at 76,000 miles for $1,300. (Tip: search the web for shops that sell re-manufactured shafts for $450 to $350). At 52,000 miles the internal speaker in the instrument cluster went out, the VW repair is to replace the instrument cluster, the part alone is $1,000. It does handle nice in the snow but its a gas guzzler and tires (expensive ones) seem to last only about 30,000...we're due for our 3rd set at 76,000 miles. Also need a slew of special tools to repair if your a do it yourself person. Very noisy, due to wind, with the window open

Favorite Features

handles nice in the snow. Nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

Make it cheaper to maintain.

Front-end Alignment
By Tim

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 11/04 & have 3500 miles. It has been back to the dealer 4 times and they said they cannot fix the problem of it pulling to the right. Volkswagen will not back it up & says it is "fixed to their specifications". This is the absolutely the worst buying experience I have ever had. I would not recommend the vehicle or any Volkswagen.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Improve customer service & fix simple front-end alignment.