Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Don't Buy it!
By Unsatisfied

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've had many SUV's over the years, but this one is the worst. It has been in the shop 50 days in the last year and a half. They have just about totally replaced every part but the engine! Numerous, numerous electrical problems. I like the design but until VW works out all the bugs - buy something else. VW's Customer Servive line is also a joke. I can't remember the last time I had to call the Manufacturer to get a problem addressed - I thought that was what the dealership was for!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical system - it doesn't work!

I love my Touareg!
By sammy

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I love the way it drives with a lack of road noise. We have driven it in driving snow, hot weather, pouring rain- it hugged the road! In the snow, rain and ice- there was no slippage at all. I have a dark green/lt gray interior model. Tho only thing I would change is the availablity to get the US spec. asseccories in Europe!

Favorite Features

Love the heated seats and sun/moon roof, power windows, and the system the wheels are built on with the computer monitor system

Suggested Improvements

I'm not so crazy about the tire pressure monitor...Sounds great but mine is having issues with alerting us when nothing is wrong... Could it be the temperture changes while driving, who knows?

hot new touareg
By Dan

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

this is the best car i have ever owned.. performance and handling are outstanding ... the only drawbacks are: - the v6 is slightly under powered 0- 60, tough very robust from 30-100, - it sucks down gasoline.

Favorite Features

it looks incredible as well as all the performance technology built into the suv.

Suggested Improvements

more 0-60 power..

James F. Paronto
By James Paronto

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have enjoyed the pleasure of driving this quality vehicle. Other than the Pirelli tires, the vehicle has been very reliable. However, if some problem does manifest itself, VW dealer has been most helpful in correcting the problem. I would think Volkswagon would take some responsibility for the lack of wear and realibility of these tires since it was VW's engineers that chose these tires for the production line. Stepping away from the tire issue is not a good way to resolve the issue.

Favorite Features

The entire passenger compartment is a favorite feature. The way the vehicle rides on long trips and it's handling ability on mountain highways make it such a pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage on the V8. Equip the vehicle with tires that are not only reliable and do not blow out as the Pirelli's on my vehicle have done but that have a longer tread life.

6 failures change tires @ 15k mi
By Jack

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Dash lights failed. Entire assembly needed to be replaced. Tires worn out at 15K. Dealer recommends alignment when tires changed. At slow speed turns it feels like the U joints are catching and releasing. Told it is caused by the tires that need to be replaced. Warning lights appear and need to be "recalibrated." Accelerator pauses occasionally. Told it was the brakes that don't allow the accelerator to function - not true. Very expensive car for this to happen in 6 months.

Suggested Improvements

See above Quality control needs a lot of work. This car should NEVER be driven off road unless you are ready to align the wheels each trip.