Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Great Car
By trichard

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have found this car to be of excellent quality and ride. The V8 is a powerful bonus, but fuel economy suffers (though I find to be getting better milage than the milage posted). The ride is comfortable, with the my only complaint of the interior is air conditioning flow to the back seat. The tires out of the dealership lasted about 15000 miles, so be prepared to buy new then. I do not have the nav system, and found it to be too difficult to use, as it was CD based and not touch screen. Other than that, this is a excellent car for one who wants 4 wheel capability (I live in CO, and it handles rugged roads outstandingly well) or a sporty car for in town.

Electronic nightmare
By Dissatisfied Owner

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Not one of VW's best efforts. Has been in the shop for warranty work seven times in less than one year - all related to the vehicle's electronic warning systems. Confusing and overly complicated instrumentation/cabin controls. Abysmal gas mileage, very limited tire life - 12-15000 miles, odd size tires that very few dealers stock. Can't wait to get rid of it but none of the local dealers will touch it on a trade- in. Was offered $10,000 trade in value on a new Accord.

Comfort, handling, style.

Reengineer electronics for better reliability, fewer unnecessary warning lights, voice messages etc. Improve mileage, go to more standard tire sizes etc.

Just traded mine in for a Turbo Outback
By Syracuse

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

After many recalls, and many problems, I finally gave in and traded mine in. Took a big hit, but it was well worth it. My new car has 12,000 on it, and hasn't been to the dealer yet. VW made a great looking SUV that test drives well, but is terrible to live with. Their service department isn't up to the standards set by other manufacturers in this price range. I owned a Saab previously, and although it spent too much time in the shop, the service dept was knowledgeable and always had a loaner. Bottom line, getting rid of my Touareg was worth it (simply so I wouldn't be reminded of my poor buying decision every day).

Great looking and drove very well when working.

If your vehicles are going to need to be serviced constantly, your dealers should be prepared to take exceptional care of the customer. The nicest thing about my new vehicle is that I have no idea if their service department is any good. At the rate it's going, I may never know . . .

As a Tow vehicle
By Jim Quick

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I tow a 31' travel trailer and have found the Touareg to be a excellent tow vehicle. The six speed transmission along with the 310HP V8 do a very good job, much better than the full size PU I was using before. Also better gas mileage than before.

drivability. Very fun to drive

Wiper blades chatter. Needs some improvement in design.

BuyerBware
By Beyond Frustrated

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Many miles logged on this unreliable vehicle, with MANY service/repair trips to dealer after less than 1 year/8K miles. Elecrical system, warning light problems, trim breaking/falling apart - little annoyances = BIG frustrations! Even more frustrating is wasted time spent trying to make an expensive new car "right". A difficult life lesson, and major ouch on depreciation! Maybe I could give it away and claim a tax deduction? I was told 2005 Touareg has the "bugs" worked out - Would you like to spend 40K+ to find out? (I think not!) Getting ready to clash with VW on a "solution" - this car IS a LEMON (whether they admit it or not).

Beautiful car, sharp styling, interior and exterior a pleasure to look at. Feels safe and solid on the road (until something breaks or another warning sensor goes off). Like the back seat sunshades (for my kids), and nice sound system. It certainly "looks" the part (of a luxury vehicle).

Hey VW, if you are going to market a luxury SUV, make sure it fits the bill, in every way - good looks + excellent performance AND reliability! What a disappoinment (and I'm stuck with the payment on this life-drainer). Get it together VW - help the consumers who you stuck it to, on the 04 Touareg