Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews - 196 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Who even knows?
By Sevs

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

After already going through one Touareg, I'm onto the next. My 2004 was replaced under the lemon law due to transmission problems and I received my '05 this past May. After driving the car for 3 months I noticed hesitations and horrible clunking noises during up/downshifts. The transmission in this car is downright scary. I have pulled out into intersections with plenty of time and the car hesitates and then takes off like no other. It is almost like the transmission has to think for a few seconds before it does anything. Sensors and warning lights going off at all times for no reason and horrible OEM tires. So far so good with the 2005, but stay away from the '04s.

This extra 8 grand for the V8 is totally worth it. It makes me smile just to sit in the car and listen to the engine rev. Dash lights are easy on the eyes, sharp looking rims, great sound system, and an air conditioned glove box. Exterior styling is simple, yet eye catching.

Where do I start with improvements. I have spent a lot of time in the XC90 and that 6 speed tranny is worlds above VW's. Cupholders are ridiculous, way too shallow, transmission, sensor problems, CD player will freeze after 12 tracks every time, transmission, weight oh and did I say transmission?

ride professional - nav amateur
By Paul

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I tested many SUVs and my two finalists were the LR3 and the vw. The LR3 was lots of fun, but the vw had much superior handling. The drive for a vehicle this size is amazing. Not like the 530i I had just left, but much better than anything else I test drove. Still after 8K, it is a great driving vehicle. The gas mileage is very poor. The radio/navigation system is so poorly designed that I need much more than the 700 words alloted. If a fifth grader designed it he/she should not get to the 6th grade. I tried to get to VP Len Hunt in charge of this area, to tell him about the design flaws, but was told he does not take calls from owners. Now I know why this will never improve.

handling, leveling function, ride functions, great vehicle on any type of road

Len Hunt's radio/navigation system. I'd like to see him try to get to the next programmed station (my dealership couldn't) or try to find a way to get to any "point of interest" or try use the nav system independent of the radio without contortions, or..... get a 99 Volvo and copy their system

The annoying stuff...
By Thomas

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The V6 is underpowered, but performs well for a vehicle this weight. Smooth ride and excellent handling. After 40k miles in one year, thankfully, no maintenance nightmares. Only annoying stuff that keeps you coming back to the dealership - tire pressure sensors always going out, allignment issues, and way too many recalls. Dealership (Boardwalk VW, Dallas) has an excellent service dept, highly recommended for those in DFW area. Not as well built as some suggest, a couple of creaks in dash. After reading other reviews, I would also be very upset about the reliability of this vehicle for the price paid, but overall a good experience here.

Dash lights, simple yet classy design inside and out, ride and handling, off road strength, strong sound system. Gets attention on the road.

Tires wore out quickly, always have alignment problems, annoying little reliability issues that will probably cost alot after warranty expires.

Perfect blend
By SUVW

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought one of the first ever. I love the interior, the solidity, and aside from some minor problems, the ride.

By beatriz roldan

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Safe car, fun to drive, beautiful to look at, lousy on gas, strong response when needed, beautiful interior design

Driving, interior design