Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Brilliant SUV
By Henry20

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My parents bought me a VW Touareg as a welcome home gift from College this May. I was excited but at the same time apprehensive because I have heard/read that this SUV has many problems et al. I got it and me and my buddies went up to New Hampshire and it was the best automobile I have ever driven in my life(last car was a 2002 330i)! I had to take it in for a glitch in the airbag system and for a temperature gauge malfunction but have been tremendously satisfied with it! Superb road handling on wet, grueling, everything-nature-throws-at-you New Hampshire backroads and on the highways. I now have 12,500 miles on my Touareg, offroading and highway/city. Definately buy if you have the chance!

The air-suspension is wicked! The navi system is prety cool but takes a bit of getting used to. The seat comfort can't be beat and the sound system rocks! Oh yeah, the acceleration is outstanding for an SUV that weighs 6,000 plus pounds!

I would say that a more refined feeling when you brake would be cool but otherwise I can't really say that I have many complaints. Gas mileage is not the best but it's an SUV, what do you expect. Gas mileage is not the best but it's an SUV, what do you expect.

Touareg the perfect 10 for midsize SUV
By gisela

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is a perfect 10. Quality and performance what one expects from a solid, no mistakes superior build german vehicle. I know what I am talking about. I own a collision repair facility. Seing how some vehicles perform in crashes made me look even harder when I decided to by an SUV. I am absolutely thrilled and do not regret buying this vehicle one second. Recommend this vehicle highly. The fuel economy exceeded the posted sticker by far. I decided on the V6 with Pkg# 2, plus Sound System. That's all I needed. Have several other vehicles, so this one is for my pleasure only. And what a pleasure to drive it is. Advise: Buy it!

Well build inside and out. Compared to other midsize SUV's the Touareg comes with lots of features even in the base model. Volkswagen really has a very good thing going with this vehicle. The Touareg really stands out on top in the midst of the blah of socalled SUV's.

Advertise this vehicle, it's capabilities, standard features and performance, so more people will find out what a true and well build true SUV should be.

Who even knows?
By Sevs

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

After already going through one Touareg, I'm onto the next. My 2004 was replaced under the lemon law due to transmission problems and I received my '05 this past May. After driving the car for 3 months I noticed hesitations and horrible clunking noises during up/downshifts. The transmission in this car is downright scary. I have pulled out into intersections with plenty of time and the car hesitates and then takes off like no other. It is almost like the transmission has to think for a few seconds before it does anything. Sensors and warning lights going off at all times for no reason and horrible OEM tires. So far so good with the 2005, but stay away from the '04s.

This extra 8 grand for the V8 is totally worth it. It makes me smile just to sit in the car and listen to the engine rev. Dash lights are easy on the eyes, sharp looking rims, great sound system, and an air conditioned glove box. Exterior styling is simple, yet eye catching.

Where do I start with improvements. I have spent a lot of time in the XC90 and that 6 speed tranny is worlds above VW's. Cupholders are ridiculous, way too shallow, transmission, sensor problems, CD player will freeze after 12 tracks every time, transmission, weight oh and did I say transmission?

ride professional - nav amateur
By Paul

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I tested many SUVs and my two finalists were the LR3 and the vw. The LR3 was lots of fun, but the vw had much superior handling. The drive for a vehicle this size is amazing. Not like the 530i I had just left, but much better than anything else I test drove. Still after 8K, it is a great driving vehicle. The gas mileage is very poor. The radio/navigation system is so poorly designed that I need much more than the 700 words alloted. If a fifth grader designed it he/she should not get to the 6th grade. I tried to get to VP Len Hunt in charge of this area, to tell him about the design flaws, but was told he does not take calls from owners. Now I know why this will never improve.

handling, leveling function, ride functions, great vehicle on any type of road

Len Hunt's radio/navigation system. I'd like to see him try to get to the next programmed station (my dealership couldn't) or try to find a way to get to any "point of interest" or try use the nav system independent of the radio without contortions, or..... get a 99 Volvo and copy their system

The annoying stuff...
By Thomas

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The V6 is underpowered, but performs well for a vehicle this weight. Smooth ride and excellent handling. After 40k miles in one year, thankfully, no maintenance nightmares. Only annoying stuff that keeps you coming back to the dealership - tire pressure sensors always going out, allignment issues, and way too many recalls. Dealership (Boardwalk VW, Dallas) has an excellent service dept, highly recommended for those in DFW area. Not as well built as some suggest, a couple of creaks in dash. After reading other reviews, I would also be very upset about the reliability of this vehicle for the price paid, but overall a good experience here.

Dash lights, simple yet classy design inside and out, ride and handling, off road strength, strong sound system. Gets attention on the road.

Tires wore out quickly, always have alignment problems, annoying little reliability issues that will probably cost alot after warranty expires.