2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Repairs - Often and Expensive
By 1st_andlast_vw on 09/02/11 07:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Like previous posts I would not recommed this car to anyone unless they like paying for rental cars and expensive repairs. Just had my drive shaft replaced at 76,000 miles for $1,300. (Tip: search the web for shops that sell re-manufactured shafts for $450 to $350). At 52,000 miles the internal speaker in the instrument cluster went out, the VW repair is to replace the instrument cluster, the part alone is $1,000. It does handle nice in the snow but its a gas guzzler and tires (expensive ones) seem to last only about 30,000...we're due for our 3rd set at 76,000 miles. Also need a slew of special tools to repair if your a do it yourself person. Very noisy, due to wind, with the window open

Lovely to drive, Costly to repair
By lilguma on 03/03/10 09:58 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this SUV used and love it so far. Its true what everyone says about the brakes, tires, fuel efficiency and service. My tires were $800 for all 4 and the shop rotates my tires for free anytime i want to. Same shop tells me the brakes aren't cheap either $600 for ceramic pads up front. However, this truck is solid and safe you will bulldoze through snow and probably won't every hydroplane in the rain. You will love this truck until you get to the shop(try to stay away from the dealership, their labor is super expensive)

Overkill for USA
By Love it Hate VW on 12/30/09 15:18 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new in 05. Drove to work around DC area and on trips up an down the east coast. Hauled a boat trailer with great ease. This thing has torque! AWD is terrific in the snow. After 45000 miles the nav/radio would not turn off. Killed battery. VW replaced at 50,000 no charge but had to wait 6 weeks for the part!?! At 71000 mi noticed rough running intermittently. Dealer had to drop engine ($2500 P&L) and repair timing gear area (another $2500P&L) Serviced only by VW. Cannot guarantee repeat. If I had know of this possibility would not have bought it. VW has no idea how to address the luxury market. Loaner cars during warranty were trade ins not even VW!! VW America no help.

Won't buy another VW
By Erica on 05/22/09 17:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was initially really excited about my Touareg, but became suspicious after a road trip that included lots of error messages. When I brought it to the VW dealership to have it checked out, they were not willing to take the time to find out what was going on and told me to come back if it happened again. After a short year and a half we had to put $3000 into it for new tires, breaks, rotors, etc. None of which were included in the warranty although it was leased, I should have known, but was disappointed anyway. The lights go out while driving periodically for no apparent reason. The lining on the door handles are also peeling. Fuel economy is poor, but we knew that. The CD player is poor.

love it
By love it on 11/12/08 15:00 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my VW with 24000 and know I have 60000. I dove it from Texas to Chicago with no problems. It is a very expensive SUV to fix, but if you change your own oil, or buy your own parts it's way cheaper. Tires are the worst. I still can't find a place that to get them changed. They run from 700 to 2000 dollars.

Pretty with Flaws
By cabulldog on 03/26/08 09:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I really shopped around before purchasing my Touareg. My black exterior really gets people's attention, and my passengers LOVE the interior. BUT, my tires wore out quickly, gas mileage sucks, get-up-and- go doesn't exist without putting it in S, or manual. Radio ate my CD, can't get it back. Passenger mirror doesn't always tilt when backing up. Rubber on inside driver's side door is peeling. Seat belt dinger... can anyone say ANNOYING? Automatic windshield wipers can scare the crap out of you on a sunny day... they'll scape across the window without notice.

It's a Keeper
By SanDeigoTouareg on 02/10/08 12:35 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

It's been almost 3 years with my Touareg... it's a keeper. Granted, you cannot be a person on a tight budget for an SUV like this, but it's worth every penny in price, maintenance, and fuel. I truly feel like I can go wherever my heart desires with the Touareg. Yeah, brakes and tires require changing more frequently than expected, but it's a worthwhile trade-off for the performance and amenities on this SUV. Highly recommended. The key is to make sure you can afford to maintain it. If you cannot afford to maintain it, don't buy it. If you can, you will love it.

Great Vehichle
By Sandeep on 12/11/07 11:22 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

THis is our 2nd touareg. The 1st one was a buyback because of electrical problems that were never ending. However, we still loved the car and agreed to take a replacement Touareg. The 05 Touareg has met all our expectations is probaly the nicest SUV we saw while we were looking to make our purchase. We compared it to the BMX X5 and X3, Lexus, etc. However kept coming back to it. Even after our initial lemon Touareg, this is still our favourite vehicle and am glad we stuck with it. The 05' has been problem free since we have had it.

Beats the X5 and ML
By HS on 06/26/07 06:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned it for about 2 years with almost no problems; the maintenance is very affordable, about once a year for $120 ~ $180. It is fun to drive, beats the X5 and ML hands down. Great handling. The interior is really nice, almost as nice as the Cayenne. Some people say the gas mileage is not that great; I have to partially agree but keep in mind that this is an SUV with lots of horses under the hood. If you are looking for gas mileage then do not buy an SUV.

Great buy!
By fjl-v on 06/14/07 09:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Was lucky enough to buy a 2005 V6 with only 8000 miles, now up to 12000 miles. Free of any problems so far. I love to drive it; it is luxurious with a quiet ride, has an impeccable interior, great handling, feels solid and very safe, definitely underpowered with the v6, recommend driving in the S mode, transmission and shifting is great, heavy and poor acceleration especially when compared with my 2006 X3. The stereo system is disappointing at any volume above 21 (especially the bass). If economy is not your concern, buy the V8 or V10 diesel version.