2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Piece of CRAP car
By lesbeck on 08/28/11 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I would not recommend this car to anyone who is not a millionaire with money to burn and likes to have their car in the shop at least once a month. We bought this car brand new, zero miles on it and had to bring it into the shop within the first month. It was all downhill from there. Every mechanical piece on the car was replaced under warranty (which we extended to five years immediately) except for the motor, which I am sure would run forever while all the other peices of the car fall off all over the road. Sadly, I had to buy a back-up car so I had something reliable to go to work in and had to carry a battery for the key in my purse, because you never knew when the car would not unlock.

Good Value
By PGal on 08/10/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Solid, well made German SUV with good handling for the most part. V8 gas mileage is a blended 15. Always has been hesitant off the line, but plenty of power once you are moving, great feel for a driver. Comfortable, well designed. Like the look, like the drive. Interior leather, wood appointments nice, luxury feel. For the money, this is a good luxury SUV, same new platform as Porsche Cayenne. Mechanically well built and doesn't wear out.

2005
By budsm3 on 05/14/10 03:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Same comments as most of the others: Great highway ride, strong V8 performance, Best turning radius of any car I have ever owned. Handles very well. Nicely appointed interior, comfortable seats. Downside: the brakes for wear and this car is very difficult to be smooth when driving, at very low speeds the brakes grab and the throttle response is jerky. Poor Gas mileage Overall the car has exceed my expectations and most of the bugs from the 2004 models we worked out.

An SUV That Can Take You Anywhere
By docj on 04/24/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We bought this SUV so my wife, a nurse, could get to work regardless of the weather. It has consistently demonstrated it can do that in some absolutely horrible conditions. We have a set of winter wheels with Pirelli Scorpion studless ice and snow tires for it and it can go just about anywhere. In good weather it is a fun SUV to drive; in sport mode it can beat most vehicles off the line. You'd never know you had 5,000 pounds under you. Reading other reviews I have no idea why people have been complaining of tire or brake life. Make sure the wheels are aligned and select tires carefully. Initial reliability was poor but has improved a lot;not cheap to fix--$1,100 for timing belt!

Awesome
By taleggio on 10/21/09 14:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love my Touareg! It had a few issues early on but were fixed as necessary. It is heavy and all wheel drive, so it's tough on tires. I ditched my factory tires at 11k miles for a set of Nokian WR G2's and haven't looked back. Really the best tire for the Touareg. I had an Expedition previously, so gas mileage wasn't an issue. The FSI V6 and V8 on the newer models are a significant improvement over 2004-2007 models.

great car
By rich fidler on 07/31/09 11:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

very heavy, smooth, safe car. Very solid german feel, almost all high end options on most other cars are standard on Touareg. Tires are expensive to change if you get the 19's like I have but are very reasonable as 17 or 18's. I have 2 sets of tires, great in the snow with the all seasons on 17's in 18" snow in Tahoe. NO problems. Mechanically very good, poor fuel economy but it's a V8 ! 14 in the city, 19 on the hwy. I get oil changes for $75 at a VW dealer. Had a headlight bulb blow, and an airbag under warranty replaced in over 2 yrs. Highly recommend.

V8 touareg
By bdcars on 04/15/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Owned this vehicle for less than a year. Initially we were very impressed with its road manners. The brakes had been done before delivery however we had to have them done again (no charge to us) I drive 12km return to my work. 4 months later, brakes require work. The battery is done. Most of the reviews on these express the same issues. Our other vehicle is a Tahoe and we have had zero problems. We are currently trading it in for another Yukon/Tahoe. Unfortunately this is not a car I would recommend.

Love My Touareg
By Patty on 04/05/09 10:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

All of my oil changes were done by the dealer & only cost $108. This car just spared me and my husband from more series injuries following a near head on crash. Other driver crossed center line. My husband swerved to the right to try & avoid the other car, but the driver still hit us / almost a T-Bone then slide the entire length down our car. Drivers side airbags deployed and spared my 6'7" husband from serious injury to his head & face. He still suffered 3 broke ribs though.We love our car.

Not great but ok.
By SEAN9 on 10/31/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I am a mechanic for a used German car dealer and I bought this trade in for fun, its a late build 2005. BTW 2004 is a lemon, mid to late build 2005+ is a good car. Positives: Interior, exterior, solid vehicle. Negatives: Terrible gas mileage, 6 speed transmission shifts constantly and hard, radio is horrific, small interior, too many electronic gizmos. 4.2L Audi engine is excellent. Its a tough German car not a smooth Japanese car. If you don't believe me go to web VW boards and check the car out, the transmission is the worst aspect of this vehicle but you can reprogram it with some success. Overall nice and somewhat better than some of the Mercedes I work on.

Sad owner
By Tony K on 08/02/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I had no idea it would eat tires every year! Gas mileage was known, but gas wasn't $4.50 at the time. It's been in the shop so much, my wife wants me to sell it now! Service sucks, they can't order the correct parts half the time so we have to go back multiple times for stupid stuff. I will NEVER buy another VW again. I tried, and it was a failure. They say the car is 'heavy' and that's why it eats tires. B.S. My dad has a huge van loaded with his contractor stuff (much heavier than the Touareg) and he gets 30k miles no problem. I think it's the 4WD system chewing up the tires. I'm actively looking at a replacement even though it will cost me $. I like to keep cars 12+ years but not this time