2005 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Repairs - Often and Expensive
By 1st_andlast_vw on 09/02/11 07:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Like previous posts I would not recommed this car to anyone unless they like paying for rental cars and expensive repairs. Just had my drive shaft replaced at 76,000 miles for $1,300. (Tip: search the web for shops that sell re-manufactured shafts for $450 to $350). At 52,000 miles the internal speaker in the instrument cluster went out, the VW repair is to replace the instrument cluster, the part alone is $1,000. It does handle nice in the snow but its a gas guzzler and tires (expensive ones) seem to last only about 30,000...we're due for our 3rd set at 76,000 miles. Also need a slew of special tools to repair if your a do it yourself person. Very noisy, due to wind, with the window open

Piece of CRAP car
By lesbeck on 08/28/11 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I would not recommend this car to anyone who is not a millionaire with money to burn and likes to have their car in the shop at least once a month. We bought this car brand new, zero miles on it and had to bring it into the shop within the first month. It was all downhill from there. Every mechanical piece on the car was replaced under warranty (which we extended to five years immediately) except for the motor, which I am sure would run forever while all the other peices of the car fall off all over the road. Sadly, I had to buy a back-up car so I had something reliable to go to work in and had to carry a battery for the key in my purse, because you never knew when the car would not unlock.

Good Value
By PGal on 08/10/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Solid, well made German SUV with good handling for the most part. V8 gas mileage is a blended 15. Always has been hesitant off the line, but plenty of power once you are moving, great feel for a driver. Comfortable, well designed. Like the look, like the drive. Interior leather, wood appointments nice, luxury feel. For the money, this is a good luxury SUV, same new platform as Porsche Cayenne. Mechanically well built and doesn't wear out.

2005
By budsm3 on 05/14/10 03:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Same comments as most of the others: Great highway ride, strong V8 performance, Best turning radius of any car I have ever owned. Handles very well. Nicely appointed interior, comfortable seats. Downside: the brakes for wear and this car is very difficult to be smooth when driving, at very low speeds the brakes grab and the throttle response is jerky. Poor Gas mileage Overall the car has exceed my expectations and most of the bugs from the 2004 models we worked out.

An SUV That Can Take You Anywhere
By docj on 04/24/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We bought this SUV so my wife, a nurse, could get to work regardless of the weather. It has consistently demonstrated it can do that in some absolutely horrible conditions. We have a set of winter wheels with Pirelli Scorpion studless ice and snow tires for it and it can go just about anywhere. In good weather it is a fun SUV to drive; in sport mode it can beat most vehicles off the line. You'd never know you had 5,000 pounds under you. Reading other reviews I have no idea why people have been complaining of tire or brake life. Make sure the wheels are aligned and select tires carefully. Initial reliability was poor but has improved a lot;not cheap to fix--$1,100 for timing belt!

Lovely to drive, Costly to repair
By lilguma on 03/03/10 09:58 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this SUV used and love it so far. Its true what everyone says about the brakes, tires, fuel efficiency and service. My tires were $800 for all 4 and the shop rotates my tires for free anytime i want to. Same shop tells me the brakes aren't cheap either $600 for ceramic pads up front. However, this truck is solid and safe you will bulldoze through snow and probably won't every hydroplane in the rain. You will love this truck until you get to the shop(try to stay away from the dealership, their labor is super expensive)

Overkill for USA
By Love it Hate VW on 12/30/09 15:18 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new in 05. Drove to work around DC area and on trips up an down the east coast. Hauled a boat trailer with great ease. This thing has torque! AWD is terrific in the snow. After 45000 miles the nav/radio would not turn off. Killed battery. VW replaced at 50,000 no charge but had to wait 6 weeks for the part!?! At 71000 mi noticed rough running intermittently. Dealer had to drop engine ($2500 P&L) and repair timing gear area (another $2500P&L) Serviced only by VW. Cannot guarantee repeat. If I had know of this possibility would not have bought it. VW has no idea how to address the luxury market. Loaner cars during warranty were trade ins not even VW!! VW America no help.

Awesome
By taleggio on 10/21/09 14:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love my Touareg! It had a few issues early on but were fixed as necessary. It is heavy and all wheel drive, so it's tough on tires. I ditched my factory tires at 11k miles for a set of Nokian WR G2's and haven't looked back. Really the best tire for the Touareg. I had an Expedition previously, so gas mileage wasn't an issue. The FSI V6 and V8 on the newer models are a significant improvement over 2004-2007 models.

great car
By rich fidler on 07/31/09 11:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

very heavy, smooth, safe car. Very solid german feel, almost all high end options on most other cars are standard on Touareg. Tires are expensive to change if you get the 19's like I have but are very reasonable as 17 or 18's. I have 2 sets of tires, great in the snow with the all seasons on 17's in 18" snow in Tahoe. NO problems. Mechanically very good, poor fuel economy but it's a V8 ! 14 in the city, 19 on the hwy. I get oil changes for $75 at a VW dealer. Had a headlight bulb blow, and an airbag under warranty replaced in over 2 yrs. Highly recommend.

Won't buy another VW
By Erica on 05/22/09 17:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was initially really excited about my Touareg, but became suspicious after a road trip that included lots of error messages. When I brought it to the VW dealership to have it checked out, they were not willing to take the time to find out what was going on and told me to come back if it happened again. After a short year and a half we had to put $3000 into it for new tires, breaks, rotors, etc. None of which were included in the warranty although it was leased, I should have known, but was disappointed anyway. The lights go out while driving periodically for no apparent reason. The lining on the door handles are also peeling. Fuel economy is poor, but we knew that. The CD player is poor.