Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

What have I gotten myself into
By What have I done!!

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 2004 Touareg in Aug. of 2005 and it has been nothing but trouble ever since. For all the problems I have had, I always had to take it back at least twice because it was not done right the first time. I have had problems with the amplifiers that had to be replaced two times. The tire indicator has always had a malfunction, but it was not until after the warranty that the dealer finally admitted that all 2004's Touaregs have this problem. And most recently the horn does not work at all, which will cost $438 to fix!! My advise it not to buy a 2004. And I hate that they do not have loaner car service. I am at the dealer so much they are programed in my cell phone as a personal contact.

The car looks nice and it drives fine.

Buyer Beware
By Dara

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I will never purchase another VW again in my life. It runs great while its under factory warranty, but be prepared to shell out at least a quarter of your vehicle's market price afterward. Under warranty, the tire pressure monitoring system failed, and I brought it into the dealership 6 times--for which I was told that I was at fault for not "properly monitoring my tires." After the warranty was up, they finally found a problem--and it costs $2000 to repair. My airbag light went on for the first time this week. Total cost: $520. Since the last time I took it to be serviced (1 week ago), the chime on the dashboard malfunctioned, another $1700 problem. Itís a serious money guzzler. Buyer beware.

Speed, tip-tronic, just fun to drive.

Service departments, 0 dependability.

It depends.....
By BH

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I just bought my 2004 Touareg a few months back. Having read the posts from people, it does really depend how you want to view the reliability of this car. The interior is wonderful, the exterior looks very sleek. The handling in general is very good, except when you want to accelerate. It tends to take a while. Right now my car is having it's ignition coil replaced, nothing super big. My advice is to buy a used or 'pre-loved' Touareg. Let the previous owners deal with the issues and recalls while I soak up the benefits. Granted I haven't yet had to replace the tires or even had an oil change, so I'm sure my time will come. Still, it was worth my money.

Create some way of skimming 1000 pounds. It's sad that a Jetta has the same engine as the v6.

not worth the money
By VW Bummer

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased this car after our first child was born. It is a heavy safe car that is fun to drive. That's where it stops. From the start it was in the shop for trim, sensors etc.. I would have to rent a car within the dealer (usually a tiny tin can) every time I took my car for service. If I would complain at all about the frequency of these malfunctions on the car they would blow me off and tell me that I had purchased a luxury vehicle and the repairs are more extensive? ? What? Where's my luxury service? I think VW priced themselves out of the market with this SUV. For the price you are paying you should have some service. Buy yourself a Lexus and get yourself taken care of.

Looks nice. Drives well when it is not in the shop.

Customer service! I would worry more about keeping the VW customers than selling clothes. They are selling style not reliability. Also, need a loaner car program. Not a rent a car where you get a Ford or Dodge at a VW dealer.

Wunderbar!
By DMW

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

So far none of the negative criticisms can be found with this vehicle. It meets all expectations. Purchased it as a pre-owned (or pre-loved as they say) and it has had only one visit back to the dealer for warranty work. The rest of its service has been done by and will be done by, a reputable private mechanic. I have had 6 Jettas, 2 Passats and a GTI. We are VW people and realize no car is infallible. Take care of it and it will return the favor. Most people are too reliant on dealers for service and that is not what dealers are known for despite their claims.

general comfort, handling, power even with the V6, good looks and functional controls within reach!

I'll get back to you on this one!

• SUV