Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

not worth the money
By VW Bummer

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased this car after our first child was born. It is a heavy safe car that is fun to drive. That's where it stops. From the start it was in the shop for trim, sensors etc.. I would have to rent a car within the dealer (usually a tiny tin can) every time I took my car for service. If I would complain at all about the frequency of these malfunctions on the car they would blow me off and tell me that I had purchased a luxury vehicle and the repairs are more extensive? ? What? Where's my luxury service? I think VW priced themselves out of the market with this SUV. For the price you are paying you should have some service. Buy yourself a Lexus and get yourself taken care of.

Favorite Features

Looks nice. Drives well when it is not in the shop.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service! I would worry more about keeping the VW customers than selling clothes. They are selling style not reliability. Also, need a loaner car program. Not a rent a car where you get a Ford or Dodge at a VW dealer.

Wunderbar!
By DMW

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

So far none of the negative criticisms can be found with this vehicle. It meets all expectations. Purchased it as a pre-owned (or pre-loved as they say) and it has had only one visit back to the dealer for warranty work. The rest of its service has been done by and will be done by, a reputable private mechanic. I have had 6 Jettas, 2 Passats and a GTI. We are VW people and realize no car is infallible. Take care of it and it will return the favor. Most people are too reliant on dealers for service and that is not what dealers are known for despite their claims.

Favorite Features

general comfort, handling, power even with the V6, good looks and functional controls within reach!

Suggested Improvements

I'll get back to you on this one!

Blown Engine
By ET

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Owned since Jan 2004. New off ship. Just had to replace engine at 43k. Cost $15k. VW of America and Germany no help. Constant electrical issues with car. (think that was the reason for the blown engine--faulty warning system). Poor gas mileage, tire wear, dealerships will admit they are a problem. Check VW LEMONS on the net to see how many problems with the Touareg. Springfield Imports in Missouri were zero help. I have had 4 VWs but never ever again. I think the people that say how great the car is want to convince themselves they made a good decision. I admit it. I made a dumb mistake paying about $50,000 for the Touareg.

Favorite Features

It is fast.

Suggested Improvements

stop making it.

Run, Don't Walk Away From This SUV
By Leigh

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Where to begin? Everything you have read is true. Brakes seem to go out every two years and when they do, prepare to replace your rotors. Tires go out every two years also and I pay about $900 to have four new tires put on. Oil changes are upward of $100 and dealing with the dealership is a living HELL. Beautiful car, but insane to maintain. I am thankful I don't have car payments. I will NEVER own a VW again!

Favorite Features

It's good looking and I like my heated seats

Engine, Electrical & Tire Problems
By ET

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

AVOID ALL TOUAREG VEHICLES. Read the internet on how rotten VW support is. My T is driven gently by my wife. We go through a set of tires every year or so, have had many electrical problems including completely replacing the wiring harness. At 43,000 the engine simply froze. A couple months out of warranty for months owned but within the period for mileage. VW is giving us grief about replacing the engine. I guess they think that it is ok for an engine to blow at 40K. Dealers seem great but you have to deal with VW of America. They are simply terrible. I would look at the internet for VW problems and VWA support before buying ANY VW product. Sorry...I have owned 4 VW's but no more.

Favorite Features

road handling.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, wiring, suspension, tires...you name it.