2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Poor Tire Performer
By unhappy on 10/18/06 08:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have been disappointed with my vehicle since I purchased it. The tire sensor is on regularly, even after numerous repairs. The tires wear quickly and are expensive. Rotating every three months is a most. The interior wears poorly also. The door panels, garage opener panel have rubbed off from use. The wood look panels have cracked. Not a good buy.

Good Ride. Interior Quality is So So
By emc2 on 09/18/06 16:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've enjoyed my Touareg for 2.5 years. So far it will give you a good ride, it has a good engine with German performance. I like the modern design which remains good looking today compared to other SUVs that I see on the street. Cons: some small details like the A/C buttons and mirror controller have worn off. Yet, they were replaced at no cost. The gas consumption is huge. I spend around $140 per month with an annual mileage of a bit less than 10,000 miles.

Love-Hate Relationship
By Red-T on 09/16/06 14:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love driving my Touareg. I especially like its ability to effortlessly tow my 5,500 lb. horse trailer. And it doesn't seem to mind 89 octane gas instead of the recommended premium. But the computer system has a mind of it's own, the original tires lasted only 19,000 miles, the interior trim is falling apart, and the dealer experience has been terrible. Oh, I should also mention that a simple oil change will set you back about about $120 since it requires synthetic oil, and lots of it.

"Awesome SUV"
By Chris on 09/02/06 17:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a preowned 2004 Touareg V6, about two months ago and it is AWESOME! I have never had an SUV that rides, drives, or handles as well as the Touareg. Its overall fit and finish is exceptional and all the gadgets are great. I am pleased with the V6 engine and the fuel economy I have received so far. I can't wait for the snow this winter to try it out.

2004 Volkswagen Touareg
By Dan Gonzalez on 08/19/06 08:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I experienced two problems immediately I after purchased my Touareg, the alternator blew out in the first 30 days and within first 90 days the computer chip operating the on board dash systems had to be replaced (I had a constant flat tire warning on the dash board system). My truck has had no problems since then. I am happy with this vehicle except for its poor gas mileage with the V6 engine (14 mpg city / barely 18 mpg highway).

This SUV Rocks
By Paul Davis on 08/17/06 19:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The Volkswagen Touareg is better than the SUVs being sold by other luxury automakers, including Infiniti, Lexus, etc.

Best I've Ever Had....
By 858792 on 08/17/06 19:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This SUV incredible. Basically, this vehicle is OVER-engineerd and UNDER-priced.

VW's Sure Footed Vault
By Two VWs on 08/11/06 21:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

After test driving all (except VW) major SUVs with safety, AWD/4x4 drive, and towing capacity in mind, the Toyota Sequoia barely met our needs. Just before the dealership, we passed the VW Touareg's all in a row. After crawling over one inside and out, and driving two blocks, she/we said, "I want this one!". The Tour-pig, as I fondly call it, tows more than other SUVs (two trips with 3,500 lb. trailer - tows great), has neat gadgets (I still haven't figured out all the gizmos), is rated highly in safety, has the best workmanship interior of all (love them hard German seats!). The traction on snow/ice is tremendous - rock solid. In short, we (mostly) love it! We own 3 Volvos and 2 VWs.

The Conundrum...
By Pete on 08/07/06 08:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

about our '04 Touareg is that we love using it. The brakes are fantastic, it handles well for a 5,200 pounder, and it really moves. The transmission is amazing. The tire pressure sensor system irritates my wife, but we have a compressor in the garage and it's very easy to keep the tires correctly inflated. An electrical glitch has left my wife stranded twice - a "fuse breaker" under the driver's seat near the battery. The dealer has tried, but we have the feeling that the technicians assigned to the Touareg are not properly trained. It took eight days to get the car back the first time the breaker failed; the car is at the dealer now, for five days so far, for the same problem a year+ later.

VW Touareg
By joeynh76 on 08/01/06 11:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The Touareg is a great SUV! The only problem is that VW's maintenance schedule at 40,000 miles requires a tune up ($500). Also about this time the brakes need to be replaced, which means pads, rotors and sensors (again all according to the dealership). That costs about $1,400. New tires about this time about $600 +/- oh yea and the (synthetic) oil change $80 sooo let's see I have to put about $2,500 in to a new SUV...what the heck?! I can buy a used beater for that money! If VW told me I was going to have to pay this price for maintenance..I would have told them to take a long walk off a short pier! I love my VW and have had no problems with it until this 40,000 maintenance but that's just because of the cost.