2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Frequent Repairs
By lawsonvd on 01/31/07 09:41 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My SUV trinks! The dealership drives it more than I do. It is in the shop almost every month. I have had the front axle replaced, window shades replaced twice, cruise control, airbags repaired, air conditioner motor and fan replaced three times, all the keypads for controls on the dash have peeled off and on the door handle. The navigation is not touch screen, only dial. This is car definitely a LEMON!

All About Style
By tosram on 01/12/07 11:36 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Since I bought this car I have had two problems with it problems and now I need to turn it in for recalls (more than one). Repairs on this model are expensive.

After 50,000 Miles.
By Mountain Driver on 01/07/07 06:47 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have now driven my V6 Touareg 55,000 miles. I have two complaints, it is a gas guzzler and it lack of power. At 5,000 lbs. plus, I don't know what they were thinking when they put in a V6. Other than that, it has been an awesome vehicle. To date it has only needed one set of spark plugs and oil and filter have been the only maintenance. Winter driving is sheer fun up here in the Laurentian Mountains. this is a poor man's Porsche Cayenne or Audi Q7.

The Best Thing I Have Ever Driven!
By Shea on 01/05/07 13:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have only had my Touareg for a little over a week but I am completely in love. The cabin is beautifully and conveniently lit. It has radio controls on the steering wheel and the dash is laid out so that all info that you need is literally under your nose. This SUV even has a mini flashlight in the console! It handles like a dream and takes corners with full control. The only suggestion I would have would be to add power seats and give it better gas mileage. Other than that, you simply have to drive a Touareg to believe it. You will be hooked like me!

Almost Bought the Porshe!
By Mumbo on 01/03/07 12:30 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I would never believe a VW could be this nice without driving it. We drove all of the models in this price range. The Benz was a true let down. The Japanese cars are too plastic and too dated looking two years later. The VW Touareg is truly amazing. I have been a Benz owner for 20 year, this reminds me of when Benz was a true high end vehicle builder.

Too Much for too Little
By JHK on 01/01/07 12:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is supposedly built on the Porsche Cayenne platform. It is okay, but it came from the factory with alignment problems that VW knew about, ignored, and refused to pay for. This ate up the crappy tires it came equipped with. It also has crappy brakes with poor stopping power despite ABS - I've had many near misses. Buy a car the manufacturer stays behind. There are better options out there for the money.

2004 Touareg
By crispykid1 on 12/20/06 18:58 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I love this vehicle. It fits my lifestyle perfectly! It's fun to drive on the street, and it tows my boat with ease! I take it camping and it pulls my dirt bike trailer into the woods easily. My only two complaints are: it has had some trim issues where the seat knobs and levers have gotten loose and the radio speakers get loose and rattle. Fortunately everything has been covered under warranty. The repairs would be quite expensive if my truck wasn't under warranty.

VW Gets an "F" in Customer Service - LEMON
By Patrick on 12/19/06 23:21 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a '04 Touareg in 12/03 for $49,365. Finally two months ago, 28,420 miles later, I’d had enough and dumped it for a $26,865 loss. During the time that I owned it, it spent 46 days in for repairs, everything from trim/buttons falling off to major problems, too many to mention… I had to make countless trips back to dealer due to parts’ unavailability. I made countless calls to VW of North America trying to get it recalled under the lemon law. VW couldn't care less and pacified me by repeatedly saying: "We'll continue to service your vehicle as outlined under the terms of the Warranty." Enough was enough. I will never, ever buy a VW again. The Touareg had a nice design, it was comfy, and fun to drive, if you don’t mind 10-13 MPG and weekly trips to the dealership! I hated it.

Underappreciated Volkswagen
By ralph scheuer on 12/12/06 14:45 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This has been a great truck. It has lots of curb appeal, a good ride, and handling for an SUV. It has the best interior of them all. Poor radio reception is my only gripe.

Lemon
By ismael guzman on 11/12/06 16:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This truck has had frequent, repetitive breakdowns associated with the powertrain. The interior trim, though attractive is too fragile. The service is very poor and you should be prepared to wait many weeks for parts. I sure miss my Acura MDX.