Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Entering 6th year, still love my Touareg
By Kristi Collins

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I still love driving my car, and I do drive like the proverbial bat out of hell. I don't know about the "underpowered" reviews, but then again, I upgraded from a Chevy, so it's still a delight to drive. No fit & finish issues. Yes, it costs a lot for an oil change, but they're not JUST changing the oil... there's a whole checklist of things they're doing to ensure your car won't be a rattletrap at the 3 year mark like some other vehicles can be. (My blazer was.) Yes, the headrest obstructed, but they sent a replacement (low-profile) headrest for the middle- free. Recalls, but they always put me in a loaner.

Love the red and blue display lights, and the auto-on lights, rain sensing wipers, audio system. Had MP3 adapter put in, so now it's perfect. Big rolling stereo. Awesome handling, love taking the curviest roads I can find.

The key fob range could be improved. I have to stand right in front of the side mirror before it works. The rear seats would be better if they folded flat, so you could actually haul more in the cargo area. It sucks down considerable gas, but I'm not a slow driver, and it's a heavy car.

My toureg 2004 V6
By myvolkswagen2004

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The only issue is xenon lights are very expensive. I had changed one recently and it was more than $230 . The car is wonderful to drive and comfortable, also safe.Gas mileage is good.

Interior and exterior

wipers

What have I gotten myself into
By What have I done!!

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 2004 Touareg in Aug. of 2005 and it has been nothing but trouble ever since. For all the problems I have had, I always had to take it back at least twice because it was not done right the first time. I have had problems with the amplifiers that had to be replaced two times. The tire indicator has always had a malfunction, but it was not until after the warranty that the dealer finally admitted that all 2004's Touaregs have this problem. And most recently the horn does not work at all, which will cost $438 to fix!! My advise it not to buy a 2004. And I hate that they do not have loaner car service. I am at the dealer so much they are programed in my cell phone as a personal contact.

The car looks nice and it drives fine.

Buyer Beware
By Dara

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I will never purchase another VW again in my life. It runs great while its under factory warranty, but be prepared to shell out at least a quarter of your vehicle's market price afterward. Under warranty, the tire pressure monitoring system failed, and I brought it into the dealership 6 times--for which I was told that I was at fault for not "properly monitoring my tires." After the warranty was up, they finally found a problem--and it costs $2000 to repair. My airbag light went on for the first time this week. Total cost: $520. Since the last time I took it to be serviced (1 week ago), the chime on the dashboard malfunctioned, another $1700 problem. Itís a serious money guzzler. Buyer beware.

Speed, tip-tronic, just fun to drive.

Service departments, 0 dependability.

It depends.....
By BH

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I just bought my 2004 Touareg a few months back. Having read the posts from people, it does really depend how you want to view the reliability of this car. The interior is wonderful, the exterior looks very sleek. The handling in general is very good, except when you want to accelerate. It tends to take a while. Right now my car is having it's ignition coil replaced, nothing super big. My advice is to buy a used or 'pre-loved' Touareg. Let the previous owners deal with the issues and recalls while I soak up the benefits. Granted I haven't yet had to replace the tires or even had an oil change, so I'm sure my time will come. Still, it was worth my money.

Create some way of skimming 1000 pounds. It's sad that a Jetta has the same engine as the v6.