2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Best SUV for the price, Major Power
By JD on 05/31/07 17:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle new almost off the line pretty much base package, no nav. It's a remarkable SUV with amazing power capability and the safest thing you can own. I have driven this car across the country four times, up and down the coast and mountains alike, and there is nothing that handles extreme weather, harsh conditions, or long rides in any category better. I love this car despite recalls (free fixes) and other issues that occur on any luxury car at a cost. I wish people appreciated the real capability and power this SUV has, it's not an around town vehicle, use it, love it, or leave it.

Great SUV
By Bill on 05/30/07 05:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is the best auto that I have owned. It is a great for people need something a bigger than a car with enough room for road trips. I will either purchase this one or buy a new in August 07. Great for empty nesters looking to hit the road and feel very safe.

Sometimes lemons are black
By Cyndi on 04/17/07 14:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The lease on my 2004 Tourareg will expire in January, 2008. This is one vehicle I will have no qualms about turning in. I've lost track of the number of times it's required service and the hours lost from work. I should have done my homework before leasing it - I don't recall anything in the sales pitch about the astronomical cost of an oil change, the absurd price of wiper blades and I completely missed the part about it requiring premium gas. Live and learn. Unfortunately, I based this purchase on how much I have loved my 2000 Beetle which has been flawless in operation. Silly me. Perhaps if this car would have been yellow instead of black I would have spotted the lemon

Unbelievable
By PLEASE READ on 03/11/07 18:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this SUV in late 2004. It has been the in the shop at least twelve times over the past 36 months. Went through five batteries before a recall came out to fix the battery cables. I was told that I always have to leave my car locked in order to not drain the battery. I went to trade it in and was offered only $21,000. Then I went to CarMax and was offered $22,000. This truck only has 30,000 miles on it and both CarMax and the dealer said it would be rated as excellent, which KBB and Edmunds say the trade in value should be $24000, and that a third party sale would be $28,000. This vehicle is such a loss. I am so disappointed in how this value has dropped so much. It is going to cost me money to get out of this vehicle.

2004 Touareg - Heaven to Drive
By Lbronchus on 02/24/07 15:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my Touareg for two years. I bought it slightly used. It is a V8 with most all the extras. This is the nicest most fun vehicle I have ever had. The ride, comfort and aesthetics are great. I love the radio especially with the Phatnoise system I added. The fuel economy is not great but in comparison with similarly powered vehicles it is on par with them. I initially had only some minor warranty covered issues but not major repair problems. It really drives like a dream. The Audi engine is very smooth and powerful.

Shame on You VW
By Dave on 02/18/07 08:16 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We have had many problems with our Touareg. We did not even make it home from the dealer before we had to turn around to have things fixed! The tire PSI computer is junk and it is the source of many dealership visits, the drivers seat had to be rewired, the rear seatbelt recall is a joke, it requires the dealer to install silver metal plates on the rear belts that are visible, that rattle around when driving and scratch the plastic interior. This is not something that I expect to have on a $50,000+ VW! The tires need to be replaced at 28,000 miles on a truck that my wife drives to and from work? I would never recommend this car to anybody and would strongly recommend that they look at a different vehicle. Shame on you VW

If It Sounds Too Good...
By David on 02/17/07 08:33 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't. The Touareg sounded good and was comparably priced for the category it is in. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle starting with tires wearing-out in less than 8,000 miles with no recourse from VW. My truck has been in the dealer for service numerous times. Two days ago it would not start and was stranded in my garage. VW roadside service came but could not tow it because the battery was dead, the key stuck in the ignition, and it was stuck in park. I've had numerous campaign upgrades for many of the Touareg's computers. Several trouble lights announce with no solutions given in the owners manual.

Frequent Repairs
By lawsonvd on 01/31/07 09:41 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My SUV trinks! The dealership drives it more than I do. It is in the shop almost every month. I have had the front axle replaced, window shades replaced twice, cruise control, airbags repaired, air conditioner motor and fan replaced three times, all the keypads for controls on the dash have peeled off and on the door handle. The navigation is not touch screen, only dial. This is car definitely a LEMON!

All About Style
By tosram on 01/12/07 11:36 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Since I bought this car I have had two problems with it problems and now I need to turn it in for recalls (more than one). Repairs on this model are expensive.

After 50,000 Miles.
By Mountain Driver on 01/07/07 06:47 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have now driven my V6 Touareg 55,000 miles. I have two complaints, it is a gas guzzler and it lack of power. At 5,000 lbs. plus, I don't know what they were thinking when they put in a V6. Other than that, it has been an awesome vehicle. To date it has only needed one set of spark plugs and oil and filter have been the only maintenance. Winter driving is sheer fun up here in the Laurentian Mountains. this is a poor man's Porsche Cayenne or Audi Q7.