2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2004 Touareg Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Sort Reviews by

NICE EFFORT / POOR RESULT
By Geo

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The vehicle has been in the shop at least 14 times in 3 years. I have replaced the tires 3 times and the vehicle seems to have gremlins that make the car hesitate and/or surge forward with great anticipation. What's worse than the SUV's performance is the lack of quality service you get from the service departments at any of the VW dealerships. VW has done an awful job of trying to capture the market willing to pay 40K+.

Favorite Features

Interior is great!

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system, customer service, transmission, computer cystem, brakes, tires, CD player.

Love/Hate my Touareg
By nathanoh

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

3 years with my baby and sometimes I love this truck, and sometimes I hate it. Drives like a monster, raw power, comfortable, luxurious, has been a savior for 3 floods. Electronics are a nightmare, been through 4 sets of tires (almost a grand each time), tons of annyoing recalls. After reading other reviews, I do think it is a dealership issue, as mine has had a loaner car for me every time, and all things fixed have stayed fixed. I have never been without transportation, even when the part I needed took a week. I recommend the Touareg if you have a solid dealership to take care of you and the car, and a nice bit of cash for the expensive maintenance and tires.

Favorite Features

Speed and acceleration, luxury, and comfort. Nice looking auto.

Suggested Improvements

Sound and navigation system is subpar for an SUV in this price range. Too many damn electric issues. Mysterious tire issues.

Cool Ride
By Mike Nelson

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My wife drives the VW during the work week and I drive my Expedition. And when the weekend hits I drive the V8 Touareg as much as I can. It is an eXtreme machine and it really jams down the road. The interior is very comfortable and my kids love the stereo. My wife says she loves her V8 Touareg and likes to drive fast in it all the time. That's why she gets poor gas milleage.

Favorite Features

When driving up to the mountains to go boarding and skiing the Toureg's handling is like no other I have ever experienced. I think my kid's favorite thing about the Touareg is the stereo. It just sounds like a rock concert when you crank it.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

Best SUV for the price, Major Power
By JD

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle new almost off the line pretty much base package, no nav. It's a remarkable SUV with amazing power capability and the safest thing you can own. I have driven this car across the country four times, up and down the coast and mountains alike, and there is nothing that handles extreme weather, harsh conditions, or long rides in any category better. I love this car despite recalls (free fixes) and other issues that occur on any luxury car at a cost. I wish people appreciated the real capability and power this SUV has, it's not an around town vehicle, use it, love it, or leave it.

Favorite Features

Power, extreme weather handling, off-road driving and highway alike, safest thing you can own, good looking and unique to own, You're getting an Audi/Cayenne for 50% off.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage but it's 6,000lbs+, improve quality of interior fittings like door switches and console buttons.

Great SUV
By Bill

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is the best auto that I have owned. It is a great for people need something a bigger than a car with enough room for road trips. I will either purchase this one or buy a new in August 07. Great for empty nesters looking to hit the road and feel very safe.

Favorite Features

Safety. Ride and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Softer leather seats and a little wider.

Sometimes lemons are black
By Cyndi

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The lease on my 2004 Tourareg will expire in January, 2008. This is one vehicle I will have no qualms about turning in. I've lost track of the number of times it's required service and the hours lost from work. I should have done my homework before leasing it - I don't recall anything in the sales pitch about the astronomical cost of an oil change, the absurd price of wiper blades and I completely missed the part about it requiring premium gas. Live and learn. Unfortunately, I based this purchase on how much I have loved my 2000 Beetle which has been flawless in operation. Silly me. Perhaps if this car would have been yellow instead of black I would have spotted the lemon

Favorite Features

The exterior lines of the car are quite attractive.

Suggested Improvements

Soften the seats and the leather. Eliminate the middle headrest in the back since it blocks your view and cannot be used. Remove the hard plastic piece on the rear seats between the headrests, it breaks easily.

Unbelievable
By PLEASE READ

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this SUV in late 2004. It has been the in the shop at least twelve times over the past 36 months. Went through five batteries before a recall came out to fix the battery cables. I was told that I always have to leave my car locked in order to not drain the battery. I went to trade it in and was offered only $21,000. Then I went to CarMax and was offered $22,000. This truck only has 30,000 miles on it and both CarMax and the dealer said it would be rated as excellent, which KBB and Edmunds say the trade in value should be $24000, and that a third party sale would be $28,000. This vehicle is such a loss. I am so disappointed in how this value has dropped so much. It is going to cost me money to get out of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

VW should stop building SUV.

2004 Touareg - Heaven to Drive
By Lbronchus

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my Touareg for two years. I bought it slightly used. It is a V8 with most all the extras. This is the nicest most fun vehicle I have ever had. The ride, comfort and aesthetics are great. I love the radio especially with the Phatnoise system I added. The fuel economy is not great but in comparison with similarly powered vehicles it is on par with them. I initially had only some minor warranty covered issues but not major repair problems. It really drives like a dream. The Audi engine is very smooth and powerful.

Favorite Features

The styling, looks, and power.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe add a 3rd row seat. Later models have a better navigation system.

Shame on You VW
By Dave

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We have had many problems with our Touareg. We did not even make it home from the dealer before we had to turn around to have things fixed! The tire PSI computer is junk and it is the source of many dealership visits, the drivers seat had to be rewired, the rear seatbelt recall is a joke, it requires the dealer to install silver metal plates on the rear belts that are visible, that rattle around when driving and scratch the plastic interior. This is not something that I expect to have on a $50,000+ VW! The tires need to be replaced at 28,000 miles on a truck that my wife drives to and from work? I would never recommend this car to anybody and would strongly recommend that they look at a different vehicle. Shame on you VW

Favorite Features

I really like the fact that I came standard with mono block 6 piston brakes up front and 4 piston brakes in the rear. I wish more car manufactures would realize that this is a worthy improvement to their vehicles

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality! The many small problems kept me in the dealer many times a month. In the first week of ownership I was on a first name basis with the service department and the mechanic. Improve the electronics reliability, donít cheap out on quick fix recall components, its not a cheap car!

If It Sounds Too Good...
By David

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't. The Touareg sounded good and was comparably priced for the category it is in. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle starting with tires wearing-out in less than 8,000 miles with no recourse from VW. My truck has been in the dealer for service numerous times. Two days ago it would not start and was stranded in my garage. VW roadside service came but could not tow it because the battery was dead, the key stuck in the ignition, and it was stuck in park. I've had numerous campaign upgrades for many of the Touareg's computers. Several trouble lights announce with no solutions given in the owners manual.

Favorite Features

My favorite times are when the vehicle is not in the garage for service.

Suggested Improvements

Provide a spare Touareg with the purchase of a new Touareg. Pay customers for all the time lost from work because their vehicle has to be laid-up for service. Sorry if this sounds sour, but when one spends $40,000 for a SUV, one should not expect to spend hours on end having the car serviced at the dealer