Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Wacthy out during and after warranty
By Trey

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have bought new cars for years. I've never had problems like this. We own two VW's so I feel I am quite experienced to tell you not to buy one. During warranty they will fix everything no problem. Of course you have to take it in tens times. I own a 2005 Passat and a 2004 Touareg each only gets around 14000 a year in milage. Now that it is out of warranty I am shelling out money left and right. Rear window hydraulics gone at 61k miles etc. - transmission has had three repairs and has broken down again today leaving me stranded in the woods with my family while camping with a 5 yo. I will never let the reliability of a volkswagon be the determining factor of my family's safety again.

Favorite Features

Looks cool

Do Not Buy A Touareg - Ever
By FedUp

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is the most poorly build cars I have ever bought. It spends most of it's time in the VW repair shop where most of the mechanics know little about how to make the necessary repairs. It's been towed numerous times due to electrical issues and recently had it's 4th battery installed. I had new front brakes put on at 50K which cost $1,000, replaced the original tires at 30K, have a back seat that locks, have a $700 issue with the tire pressure system, have another fault light on related to the air suspension, have a xenon headlight that is problematic. My list of issue is never ending. Please don't waste your money on a Touareg. I'll never buy another VW. The Touareg is a LEMON.

Favorite Features

Heated seats - they are the only part of my Touareg that has not been for repair to date.

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling the Touareg - it's a vehicle that is designed to fail.

BEWARE: DO NOT BUY THIS SUV
By shena

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had so many problems with this SUV. I had it for 8hrs and had to take it back into the shop. Since I bought it, it has been back to the shop 21 times. Now it is in the shop having the transmission replaced. Anything and everything that can break or go wrong with a vehicle has! The dealership refused to even try to fix it, saying that my imagination was running wild, that they could not find any problems. If you buy this SUV be prepared to fork out alot of cash for repairs because once the warranty goes out, then they will find enormous amounts of damage that you have to pay for, even if you have told them about the problems numerous times before. Please don't get suckered in like me!

Favorite Features

nothing, cant drive it enough to tell.

Suggested Improvements

engine, transmission, sensors, headlights...

An other week without my Touareg
By Looking to Sell Toua

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I would not take this vehicle further than 10 miles from home because of reliability problems. Number of ignition coils, air bag, tire pressure, faulty gas cap, door locking problems, just to name a few. Last VW I will ever own!!

frustrating to own
By s donbeck

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Had this car for 18 months. Bought it with 36,000 miles on it in Oct '07. The tire pressure warning system has been "fixed" 6 times and is again giving the flat tire alarm which blocks all other dash display features. The rear stabilizer bar broke. The brakes had to be replaced two months after I bought the car. I got the pad wear warning alarm a week after the new brakes were installed. New tires and alignment last July. The fronts are worn down to nothing on the inside after 10,000 miles. The dealer has been great and fixed almost everything for free. They also sell Fords. I'm going to trade for an Escape. I've had enough.

Favorite Features

It looks good.

Suggested Improvements

better electronics and reliability