Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

A bargain
By davek104

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The base T-Reg is the one to get. If you are willing to forgo the pwr seats (one more thing to break), nav (ditto), and leather this is a bargain. I got mine with the upgrade stereo and HID for 36K. Actually, the "leatherette" looks great will hold up better than the real thing esp. with pets/kids/etc. In Europe, this seating is very common. The V6 has plenty of power & decent mpg. It also lacks the drivability probs of the V8. With std sunrf, trac, multi airbag, HID, heated seats, auto dual zone a/c & 4500 lbs of German steel, VW must be losing money on every one. This is truly a BMW X5 for the price of a Ford Explorer.

Favorite Features

value

Suggested Improvements

needs MT option

it's the small stuff ...
By EgSalad

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Thoughts after 4500 miles: great initial impression, but as I drove the vehicle daily I found it was the small stuff that bugged me. Wipers chatter & won't effectively interval; in-dash CD occassionally won't eject disk; stereo sounds very poor; always "beeping" to alert you of something; rear entry requires remote electronic release; harsh acceleration; etc ... Traded in a Land Cruiser for this vehicle & it was a mistake.

Favorite Features

- styling - handling - v8 power

Suggested Improvements

- improve electronics - improve stereo - improve wipers "pay attention to the small stuff"

2004 V8 Toureg
By spskcmo

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We test drove a Porsche Cayenne in March 2003. It was a good compromise for my husband's dream car and the practicality of a growing family. However, we knew the Toureg would be released soon. We are glad we did because we virtually have the same car as a Cayenne S for $20,000 less! My husband still has a Porsche on his dream car list -- just now he's back to a car for mom & dad someday. . . .

Favorite Features

We like the veratility of the Toureg. It has the sportscar feel for my husband and the security feel for me. It feels just as sturdy when we "put the petal to metal" as when we are navigating about town.

Suggested Improvements

Don't limit the counsumer to one choice of interior molding. The teak color is rich but it needs teak modling to match.

Excellent Peoples Car
By E Medina

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

There is a lot of reading and getting used to. The transmission is unbelievable with 6 gears and auto or standard shifting. The car is solid and perfect body work and the motor is powerful. Interior is perfect and the dash lights at night are Blue and Red for easy reading. Headlights are excellent with high intensity the brakes are excellent the best yet. There is some residue on the wheels from brake dust but a good washing will fix that. Im very satisfied and so is the wife.

Favorite Features

Dashboard lights at night,High intensity headlights,Transmission shifting in auto or manual, blinkers on outside mirrors,rear hatch either opens window or hatch and moon roof for air.

Suggested Improvements

I do not like the model name TOUAREG as it means a Wandering Nomadic African Tribe so I took the bezel off.Now it is only a Volkswagen for me

Sorry I bought a Toureag
By Lauren8148

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This vehicle has caused numerous problems for me. The technology is constantly misinforming me of things. For instance, the tire pressure monitoring system tells me my front driver side tire is flat. A big exclamation point is constanly on my screen. The tire has been checked and is perfectly normal. My advice is....give Volkswagen a few more years to perfect the gliches in this vehicle before you buy one.