2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Attention Ralph Nader
By Ted on 05/08/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The Touareg is possibly the worst car of the modern era. There is a Horse Drawn Wagon that circles our city square that has proven more reliable than my Touareg. The problem I am experiencing is no reasonable dealer will take this vehicle on trade. I am essentially stuck with the vehicle and the $100 oil changes, $1400 dollar yearly brake jobs and constant need for premium gas. Which gets pricey considering this vehicle has the fuel efficiency of a HUMMER. Despite the hit on my resale, I don't want anyone else to get stuck with a Touareg. Frankly, I hope Volkswagen stops makings them - and I can sell mine to a museum.

Touareg - Don't Buy It
By BrwIGrl on 05/05/08 15:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the vehicle for approx 4 years. It has continuous problems. In the past 2 mos, I have driven it only 3 days, the remaining days it has been in the shop. The following has been "replaced" : the instrument control panel, cruise control system, back up sensor system, tire monitoring system, water reservoir & Drive Shaft. I have replaced brake pads & headlights. There is a noise the dealer cannot find. It has lost computer modules, so the entire computer system was erased and reloaded twice. If you are thinking about purchasing this vehicle do not do it. I have been paying for a Touareg and driving a loaner Jetta. This is one high priced Jetta.

Solid performing SUV
By GC on 04/29/08 14:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This has been a great SUV. I read a lot of disgruntled reviews which you would expect to see on this site, but my experience has been satisfying with this truck after driving it for four years. I use it to tow a race car each month and it has great towing power. I haven't had any of the electrical or tire issues like others - I regularly rotate and align the vehicle which has definitely helped. Put new tires on at 25K miles. This SUV also performs extremely well in the snow or winter driving conditions with its AWD system. If considering the V6 vs. the V8, stop considering and immediately get the V8. This SUV is way too heavy for the V6 and MPG difference is nominal.

Don't beleive what you hear
By Jay on 04/05/08 06:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my VW Touareg for almost 2 years now and has been truly a beautiful eye opener.

Not too happy
By Deanne on 03/24/08 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We have had this car in and out of the shop several times. Tires are ridiculous on our model. They keep going bald with not even 18,000 miles on them. We've had countless sensors go bad, seatbelts recalled. The middle back seatbelt keeps locking up anytime we put the seat down. I have two small children that it makes me nervous to be in the back seat with the amount of stress and tension thats on the seat itself. VW customer service is an absolute joke to work with! If you have a problem you can forget any speediness in resolving the issue. We are on our third seatbelt, second set of tires and on our third call to an attorney!

It's a shame
By rwm on 03/18/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

It's a shame the electronics are so bad. It's a shame the head lamps don't last very long. It's a shame you need a mortgage to pay for and oil change -- not to mention service in general. It's a shame the brakes don't last and require new rotors when changed. It's a shame nothing seems to get a complete fix. It's a shame VW didn't do a much better job on reliability.

Never running out of driving fun
By Mike on 10/26/07 20:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

used to trade cars every 1-2 yrs, BMW, Acura, Mini, Honda, MB, but still keeping this car more than 3 yrs. Feeling of very secure driving and confidence. No mechanical trouble so far-very lucky. Nothing fancy or outstanding in the parking lot but never out of style. Liked its different driving settings and plying it all the time. Still very satisfied up to 95% of my expectation.

Amazing!
By Curtman54 on 08/26/07 18:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased (leased) my Toureg in 2004; we are a Volkswagen family. You'll note from my ratings that the car is a performer, fast, solid as a rock, beautifully designed interior and handles like a sports car. It is a beast in New England's torrid winter weather. This is when the car is not at the dealership taking advantage of a very good warranty. I have been to the dealer so many times for so many things that I am totally disgusted and infuriated by Volkswagen's lack of shame. The common reply to my frustrations is: "Well, it's under warranty." I do not recommend this car. It is unfortunate because it could have really been my dream. Instead, it has been a constant nightmare.

Get one.
By Wheat120 on 07/08/07 21:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I think this is a great truck. It is more then capable of doing Sunday drives to going down a mountain trail. The worst thing about it is the gas mileage. But can you expect more for a V8 powered 5500 pound SUV then 15 mpg city and 20 highway? I dont think so. Great truck. Just get the extended warrenty just in case something happenes, expensive parts to fix.

NICE EFFORT / POOR RESULT
By Geo on 07/08/07 10:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The vehicle has been in the shop at least 14 times in 3 years. I have replaced the tires 3 times and the vehicle seems to have gremlins that make the car hesitate and/or surge forward with great anticipation. What's worse than the SUV's performance is the lack of quality service you get from the service departments at any of the VW dealerships. VW has done an awful job of trying to capture the market willing to pay 40K+.