Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

A great SUV
By hawk

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Still love the truck after 5 years owning it. Only 2nd set of tires with a lot of tread left after 75000 mi. 1st set of tired was replaced at 48000mi. Still original brake. Replaced battery at 70000mi. One annoying issue was airbag light lit after my wife adjusted driver seat. Check engine light was lit once for no reason but cleared after a visit to the dealer. didn't come back for 2yr but lit again last week. beautiful interior (better than my BMW 5 and MB E class), fit and finish is top notch. gas mileage is poor but not so bad for a performance SUV. feel very safe driving it, great road manner, very solid, no rattling, no loose parts. took to the beach played sand, a very fun SUV.

Interior, fit & finish, road manner,

What was I thinking!
By J Walker

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Problems: $1800 to replace wires in electrical system (quoted$6000); $175 to replace power mirror knob; $875 for driveshaft; $700 to fix AC and rear latch release; $50 per coil wire, bought at least 8, not to mention plugs--currently been told airbag inflator needs replaced ($580) and catalytic converter ($1000). My father is a car dealer, so I bought this from the VW lease line at the auction w/39,000 miles. Had to replace the coil wires and plugs within 1 month. I've been able to save money on some parts and labor with one of my dad's mechanics. Only take to VW when I have to. Always some light on-tire; airbag; brake sensor (need to replace the sensors). Be prepared to spend $$$

Love the look of the car. Drives great, when running right! Plenty of room.

VW buys them back from owners:-) Make them less high maintenance!

VW Experience
By Larry

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Compared to many others, the appearance caught my eye when shopping for a vehicle. Had planned to buy Toyota, but couldn't deal, and salesman was easy to talk to and arrange a deal when we bought both Touareg and Jetta for cash, no trade. Purchased both and drove home from Saskatoon to BC. Several recalls dealt with at Vernon VW, with staff there just the best! Hard on tires - 4th set at 112000 km! At 114000 both fuel pumps failed - go figure. Vernon VW replaced with goodwill partial warranty. Hope nothing else goes!

Great exterior, classy in and out; provides luxurious, solid, safe feel about it.

Mileage could be better, but some of that is the speed I prefer to drive

Need to be a good driver!
By Steve

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have close to 100K on my '04 Taureg and I have owned an Explorer,Expedition,ML320,Jeep, and despite the noise I read about and some personal experience I still believe this is a very good car. Some advice, rotate your tires every 7k. check tire pressure once a month, change oil at 5K at a non VW shop. Also, this is a heavy car, so you need to be sensitive on how hard you hit the brake pedal. No doubt you need to be safe, but if you are an aggressive braker, you will pay for it. They are not cheap to replace. Also, negotiate with your dealer. I have been successful in replacing cost of front lights, brake pads and recently A/C work. Saved 25% of initial estimate

Solid on the road, handles bad weather well (suggest General tires)Alitmax HP. Easy on the eyes for gauges and many standard features. The V6 can give u over 20mpg if you drive it right. And it does handle well for such a large (heavy) vehicle. Good visibility, and offers terrific hauling capabily

Cut the price, and make repairs alot cheaper. Other companies offer great deals on maintenance. They need to do the same. take off the tire pressure gauge. It's too faulty and not worth the hassle. For years we lived without them .. be responsible, check your pressure occasionally like u used to.

I'm in love
By Amber

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Touareg about two years ago after having purchased a flawless Jetta nine years ago (which we still drive and requires very little maintenance.) I love to drive this car- whether down the street to the store out of town for the weekend. The precision handling and comfort have spoiled me, as well as the bells and whistles that come along with a luxury SUV. I have had a few repairs done on the car, but they were all covered by the extended warranty. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a fun ride for themselves and/or family! We have owned a Toyota 4-Runner and a Ford SUV in the past,and they pale in comparison to this car.

Burl wood trim on interior, radio controls on steering wheel, sporty look of the car in general, Porsche suspension, turns-on-a-dime steering, sun roof, comfort on long journeys, acceleration if I need it

I think all of the improvements I would suggest have been made on later models, since this was the first year VW built the Touareg. (better quality plastic on seat belt trims-not the actual mechanism, just the plastic pieces that go around it)