2004 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews 5

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Blown Engine
By ET on 10/08/08 10:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Owned since Jan 2004. New off ship. Just had to replace engine at 43k. Cost $15k. VW of America and Germany no help. Constant electrical issues with car. (think that was the reason for the blown engine--faulty warning system). Poor gas mileage, tire wear, dealerships will admit they are a problem. Check VW LEMONS on the net to see how many problems with the Touareg. Springfield Imports in Missouri were zero help. I have had 4 VWs but never ever again. I think the people that say how great the car is want to convince themselves they made a good decision. I admit it. I made a dumb mistake paying about $50,000 for the Touareg.

Run, Don't Walk Away From This SUV
By Leigh on 09/05/08 05:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Where to begin? Everything you have read is true. Brakes seem to go out every two years and when they do, prepare to replace your rotors. Tires go out every two years also and I pay about $900 to have four new tires put on. Oil changes are upward of $100 and dealing with the dealership is a living HELL. Beautiful car, but insane to maintain. I am thankful I don't have car payments. I will NEVER own a VW again!

Engine, Electrical & Tire Problems
By ET on 08/11/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

AVOID ALL TOUAREG VEHICLES. Read the internet on how rotten VW support is. My T is driven gently by my wife. We go through a set of tires every year or so, have had many electrical problems including completely replacing the wiring harness. At 43,000 the engine simply froze. A couple months out of warranty for months owned but within the period for mileage. VW is giving us grief about replacing the engine. I guess they think that it is ok for an engine to blow at 40K. Dealers seem great but you have to deal with VW of America. They are simply terrible. I would look at the internet for VW problems and VWA support before buying ANY VW product. Sorry...I have owned 4 VW's but no more.

Great SUV
By t rev on 05/08/08 21:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Been driving the V8 w/ air suspension since new. After 75K miles I still love it. Electrical/computer issues at the beginning, but dealership fixed them and no problems since. Yes it eats a lot premium gas, tires and brakes, but it is a high performance vehicle. The trim is a little too VW'ish and wearing out too quickly. Carving mountain roads with the air susp and Pirelli tires is very impressive. Handles winter weather better than Audi A6. If you are comfortable with high operating costs and not having the finest interior trim, this is great high performance value when compared to the Porche, Audi, BMW products.

Attention Ralph Nader
By Ted on 05/08/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The Touareg is possibly the worst car of the modern era. There is a Horse Drawn Wagon that circles our city square that has proven more reliable than my Touareg. The problem I am experiencing is no reasonable dealer will take this vehicle on trade. I am essentially stuck with the vehicle and the $100 oil changes, $1400 dollar yearly brake jobs and constant need for premium gas. Which gets pricey considering this vehicle has the fuel efficiency of a HUMMER. Despite the hit on my resale, I don't want anyone else to get stuck with a Touareg. Frankly, I hope Volkswagen stops makings them - and I can sell mine to a museum.

Touareg - Don't Buy It
By BrwIGrl on 05/05/08 15:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the vehicle for approx 4 years. It has continuous problems. In the past 2 mos, I have driven it only 3 days, the remaining days it has been in the shop. The following has been "replaced" : the instrument control panel, cruise control system, back up sensor system, tire monitoring system, water reservoir & Drive Shaft. I have replaced brake pads & headlights. There is a noise the dealer cannot find. It has lost computer modules, so the entire computer system was erased and reloaded twice. If you are thinking about purchasing this vehicle do not do it. I have been paying for a Touareg and driving a loaner Jetta. This is one high priced Jetta.

Solid performing SUV
By GC on 04/29/08 14:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This has been a great SUV. I read a lot of disgruntled reviews which you would expect to see on this site, but my experience has been satisfying with this truck after driving it for four years. I use it to tow a race car each month and it has great towing power. I haven't had any of the electrical or tire issues like others - I regularly rotate and align the vehicle which has definitely helped. Put new tires on at 25K miles. This SUV also performs extremely well in the snow or winter driving conditions with its AWD system. If considering the V6 vs. the V8, stop considering and immediately get the V8. This SUV is way too heavy for the V6 and MPG difference is nominal.

Don't beleive what you hear
By Jay on 04/05/08 06:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my VW Touareg for almost 2 years now and has been truly a beautiful eye opener.

Not too happy
By Deanne on 03/24/08 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We have had this car in and out of the shop several times. Tires are ridiculous on our model. They keep going bald with not even 18,000 miles on them. We've had countless sensors go bad, seatbelts recalled. The middle back seatbelt keeps locking up anytime we put the seat down. I have two small children that it makes me nervous to be in the back seat with the amount of stress and tension thats on the seat itself. VW customer service is an absolute joke to work with! If you have a problem you can forget any speediness in resolving the issue. We are on our third seatbelt, second set of tires and on our third call to an attorney!

It's a shame
By rwm on 03/18/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

It's a shame the electronics are so bad. It's a shame the head lamps don't last very long. It's a shame you need a mortgage to pay for and oil change -- not to mention service in general. It's a shame the brakes don't last and require new rotors when changed. It's a shame nothing seems to get a complete fix. It's a shame VW didn't do a much better job on reliability.