2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
What have I gotten myself into
By What have I done!! on 02/01/09 18:05 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 2004 Touareg in Aug. of 2005 and it has been nothing but trouble ever since. For all the problems I have had, I always had to take it back at least twice because it was not done right the first time. I have had problems with the amplifiers that had to be replaced two times. The tire indicator has always had a malfunction, but it was not until after the warranty that the dealer finally admitted that all 2004's Touaregs have this problem. And most recently the horn does not work at all, which will cost $438 to fix!! My advise it not to buy a 2004. And I hate that they do not have loaner car service. I am at the dealer so much they are programed in my cell phone as a personal contact.

Least Reliable Car I ever owned
By Mike M on 01/25/09 16:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought this car used just over a year ago. I've had almost 20K in repairs in that time. I found out afterwards that 2004 was the first year of the touareg and the V10. It is loaded with all sorts of problems. Mine has been in the shop 3 months of the first year. Do a web search before buying one. When it does work its the best car I've owned, so if its a second car that you don't have to use daily then buy it. We need it for towing and its ruined quit a few weekends buy either stranding us somewhere or having to cancel because it was in the shop again.

Buyer Beware
By Dara on 01/14/09 00:44 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I will never purchase another VW again in my life. It runs great while its under factory warranty, but be prepared to shell out at least a quarter of your vehicle's market price afterward. Under warranty, the tire pressure monitoring system failed, and I brought it into the dealership 6 times--for which I was told that I was at fault for not "properly monitoring my tires." After the warranty was up, they finally found a problem--and it costs $2000 to repair. My airbag light went on for the first time this week. Total cost: $520. Since the last time I took it to be serviced (1 week ago), the chime on the dashboard malfunctioned, another $1700 problem. ItÂ’s a serious money guzzler. Buyer beware.

It depends.....
By BH on 12/24/08 14:45 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I just bought my 2004 Touareg a few months back. Having read the posts from people, it does really depend how you want to view the reliability of this car. The interior is wonderful, the exterior looks very sleek. The handling in general is very good, except when you want to accelerate. It tends to take a while. Right now my car is having it's ignition coil replaced, nothing super big. My advice is to buy a used or 'pre-loved' Touareg. Let the previous owners deal with the issues and recalls while I soak up the benefits. Granted I haven't yet had to replace the tires or even had an oil change, so I'm sure my time will come. Still, it was worth my money.

not worth the money
By VW Bummer on 10/24/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased this car after our first child was born. It is a heavy safe car that is fun to drive. That's where it stops. From the start it was in the shop for trim, sensors etc.. I would have to rent a car within the dealer (usually a tiny tin can) every time I took my car for service. If I would complain at all about the frequency of these malfunctions on the car they would blow me off and tell me that I had purchased a luxury vehicle and the repairs are more extensive? ? What? Where's my luxury service? I think VW priced themselves out of the market with this SUV. For the price you are paying you should have some service. Buy yourself a Lexus and get yourself taken care of.

Wunderbar!
By DMW on 10/15/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

So far none of the negative criticisms can be found with this vehicle. It meets all expectations. Purchased it as a pre-owned (or pre-loved as they say) and it has had only one visit back to the dealer for warranty work. The rest of its service has been done by and will be done by, a reputable private mechanic. I have had 6 Jettas, 2 Passats and a GTI. We are VW people and realize no car is infallible. Take care of it and it will return the favor. Most people are too reliant on dealers for service and that is not what dealers are known for despite their claims.

Blown Engine
By ET on 10/08/08 10:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Owned since Jan 2004. New off ship. Just had to replace engine at 43k. Cost $15k. VW of America and Germany no help. Constant electrical issues with car. (think that was the reason for the blown engine--faulty warning system). Poor gas mileage, tire wear, dealerships will admit they are a problem. Check VW LEMONS on the net to see how many problems with the Touareg. Springfield Imports in Missouri were zero help. I have had 4 VWs but never ever again. I think the people that say how great the car is want to convince themselves they made a good decision. I admit it. I made a dumb mistake paying about $50,000 for the Touareg.

Run, Don't Walk Away From This SUV
By Leigh on 09/05/08 05:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Where to begin? Everything you have read is true. Brakes seem to go out every two years and when they do, prepare to replace your rotors. Tires go out every two years also and I pay about $900 to have four new tires put on. Oil changes are upward of $100 and dealing with the dealership is a living HELL. Beautiful car, but insane to maintain. I am thankful I don't have car payments. I will NEVER own a VW again!

Engine, Electrical & Tire Problems
By ET on 08/11/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

AVOID ALL TOUAREG VEHICLES. Read the internet on how rotten VW support is. My T is driven gently by my wife. We go through a set of tires every year or so, have had many electrical problems including completely replacing the wiring harness. At 43,000 the engine simply froze. A couple months out of warranty for months owned but within the period for mileage. VW is giving us grief about replacing the engine. I guess they think that it is ok for an engine to blow at 40K. Dealers seem great but you have to deal with VW of America. They are simply terrible. I would look at the internet for VW problems and VWA support before buying ANY VW product. Sorry...I have owned 4 VW's but no more.

Great SUV
By t rev on 05/08/08 21:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Been driving the V8 w/ air suspension since new. After 75K miles I still love it. Electrical/computer issues at the beginning, but dealership fixed them and no problems since. Yes it eats a lot premium gas, tires and brakes, but it is a high performance vehicle. The trim is a little too VW'ish and wearing out too quickly. Carving mountain roads with the air susp and Pirelli tires is very impressive. Handles winter weather better than Audi A6. If you are comfortable with high operating costs and not having the finest interior trim, this is great high performance value when compared to the Porche, Audi, BMW products.