Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

2004 VW Touareg
By Carrie Rios

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My car has been in the shop for 64 days now. the 2nd field engineer is being sent out to evaluate the situation. I have been told on 3 separate occasions my car is repaired and ready to pick up and when I get there is does not start. AC has been an issue since day 1. Alignment has also. I am not a happy VW Touareg owner!

8-Way Power Seats a Must!
By EB4VEEDUB

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the vehicle on 01/29/10, and have received several compliments on the look of the vehicle. The ride is solid, especially in bad weather. The dash is easy to operate, and has a stylish appearance. My only complaint is the manual seats that require turning a knob for the backrest, and cranking a lever to go up and down. After 30 days I still have not found a comfortable seating position. I have to do yoga stretches in the morning before I get into the car to help ease the discomfort

Favorite Features

The car looks beautiful inside and out! The chrome accents on the grill give the Touareg an elegant look. BMW and MBZ sport utes pull up for a closer look.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel controls should be able to change songs on the CD. The driver and passenger seats need to have 8-way automatic seats standard. Please recall all Touaregs that don't have it!

DO NOT BUY
By Mary C

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

High expectations for this model turned into nothing but a series of problems. Drive shaft at 17,000 miles, remove and install prop shaft at 17,000, new stepper motor at 16,000 relocate antenna, replace rear hatch glass latch, 11,000 miles, remove and install differential motor 17,000, defective wheel on board notice on going finally installed new computer system, new tires first 15,000 miles. I could go on and on. The straw at 85,000 needs another drive shaft and possibly a differential, cost 2000 to 6000. Continuing vibration when driving went unaddressed until it was out of warranty. Volkswagen offered us 1500 towards the purchase of a new car. DO NOT PURCHASE A TOUREG!

Favorite Features

lovely to look at.

Suggested Improvements

offer customer a viable solution to the ongoing problems. admit to selling a lemon and make the customer whole.

Watch Out
By MNtracks

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

To start with I love this truck! I tis a great design good to drive. The reason for this review is the total lack of any sort of reliability with the unit. Brakes @ $850.00 per axcel I have replace 7 times. Tires maybe 25000 on a good set. Electrical system is absolutely the worst I have ever dealt with. Drive Train, hads to replace the drive shaft linkage at 34500 and the factory wouldn't cover the cost to repair. I cannot tell you how much this vehicle has cost me to own. Never again... Watch Out!

Favorite Features

Very good in Winter Driving Conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Redo the entire truck.

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE
By Holly

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

6 days after I purchased the vehicle 3 of the 6 ignition coils were shot and needed to be replaced, a few months later another ignition coil was shot. Since then the Emissions light has been repeatedly going off, was told it was the Catalytic Converter, $3000 to repair! I thought maybe there was something wrong with the sensor as it only seemed to go off when there was a drastic weather change, yet have not had a problem since reset. Power Relay went last week, $1300, then told the Electronic Break Control Modual Assembly was shot, $2400, yet replacement did not fix problem and they have no idea how to fix! DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!

Favorite Features

interior is beautiful, if you want to just sit in the vehicle and look at it your set...unfortunately, it continues to break down and costs an arm and a leg to repair

Suggested Improvements

Volkswagen should buy back this useless vehicle from all the consumers that continue to sink their moneys into repairs!