Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Amazing Vehicle
By speedle44

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Love this Vehicle! I see a lot of bad reviews but honestly if you take good care of your car then you won't have problems! Do not buy this vehicle if your money is tight because repairs can be expensive. I have had no trouble with my touareg I LOVE IT!! Super sporty & you feel totally in control when you drive it also very safe! I have never been stranded! JUST KEEP UP WITH OIL CHANGES & REGULAR MAINTENANCE and trust me you'll be fine!

Leg room

Been a great car for us
By VW Fan

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The car has the amenities of a luxury car, handles like a sports car, has the power of a muscle car, all with great off road capabilities. 100K+ miles and has never left us stranded. The body style doesn't show its age and still turns heads on the road. We live in the country and it has survived the gravel roads as an everyday driver for my wife. Its great for travel (other than the mileage) and gives a sense of safety and security no matter the driving conditions.

The car just seems to feel the road and is a pleasure to drive. The cabin is luxurious and comfortable. It gets around great in the rain and snow.

Could be more leg room in back. The hands free controls don't change stations or functions on the stereo. Gas mileage (17/20) could be a lot better. Tires and normal maintenance costs are high.

2004 Touareg
By GrayZ0ne

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I only drive a few miles to my studio daily, but about 12 times a year I go to the Mojave Desert to do landscape photography. I find the Touareg an excellent ORV for my purposes and consider it a unique vehicle for its combination of highway manners and off-road capability. The low MPG is understandable given the vehicle's weight, but could be better.

Comfort, interior style, off-road capability, highway handling.

Lighter weight, better MPG and more power.

Better have deep pockets for repairs
By Miles

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 04 Touareg with 49,900 miles on it. Good thing I got the extended warranty because at 55K miles, the vehicle completely died in the middle of the road. Turned out to be the liquid cooled alternator. Not kidding, a liquid cooled alternator. That repair was over $1,000 but was covered under the extended warranty. The tire pressure sensors constantly act up and remind you about it every time you start the vehicle. Each tire sensor costs $700 to replace. The headlights were flickering on and off. I had them replaced at a price of $598 for the set! Most places wont change the oil, so dealership it was for me. $$$ To sum it all up, this car costs more to maintain than it's worth.

Truly is a comfortable and beautiful car. Plenty of power in the V8. I got compliments on it wherever I went. Plus with heated front AND rear seats, my friends always liked riding with me to go skiing. Chicks dig it, made them think I had money and class. Boy were they wrong.

Hey Volkswagen... instead of spending some much effort on making a car look good, focus on engineering something that doesn't cost its owners a fortune to drive. I'll never own one again!

Total Electrical Failure!
By RPD

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased an off-lease VW Touareg that was VW certified, drove well for 1 year then electrical problems started. Truck would just die without any lights, etc being on. Since then it has been in and out of Volkswagen for complete electrical failure, even VW doesn't know how to fix it. They claimed it was after-market wiring which is strange because it was a certified used VW. Anyone looking to buy a used Touareg don't do it you will never be able to drive it and pay almost more than the car is worth fixing it!

Electrical