2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
What was I thinking!
By J Walker on 09/22/09 15:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Problems: $1800 to replace wires in electrical system (quoted$6000); $175 to replace power mirror knob; $875 for driveshaft; $700 to fix AC and rear latch release; $50 per coil wire, bought at least 8, not to mention plugs--currently been told airbag inflator needs replaced ($580) and catalytic converter ($1000). My father is a car dealer, so I bought this from the VW lease line at the auction w/39,000 miles. Had to replace the coil wires and plugs within 1 month. I've been able to save money on some parts and labor with one of my dad's mechanics. Only take to VW when I have to. Always some light on-tire; airbag; brake sensor (need to replace the sensors). Be prepared to spend $$$

VW Experience
By Larry on 09/20/09 16:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Compared to many others, the appearance caught my eye when shopping for a vehicle. Had planned to buy Toyota, but couldn't deal, and salesman was easy to talk to and arrange a deal when we bought both Touareg and Jetta for cash, no trade. Purchased both and drove home from Saskatoon to BC. Several recalls dealt with at Vernon VW, with staff there just the best! Hard on tires - 4th set at 112000 km! At 114000 both fuel pumps failed - go figure. Vernon VW replaced with goodwill partial warranty. Hope nothing else goes!

Need to be a good driver!
By Steve on 08/19/09 13:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have close to 100K on my '04 Taureg and I have owned an Explorer,Expedition,ML320,Jeep, and despite the noise I read about and some personal experience I still believe this is a very good car. Some advice, rotate your tires every 7k. check tire pressure once a month, change oil at 5K at a non VW shop. Also, this is a heavy car, so you need to be sensitive on how hard you hit the brake pedal. No doubt you need to be safe, but if you are an aggressive braker, you will pay for it. They are not cheap to replace. Also, negotiate with your dealer. I have been successful in replacing cost of front lights, brake pads and recently A/C work. Saved 25% of initial estimate

I'm in love
By Amber on 08/11/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Touareg about two years ago after having purchased a flawless Jetta nine years ago (which we still drive and requires very little maintenance.) I love to drive this car- whether down the street to the store out of town for the weekend. The precision handling and comfort have spoiled me, as well as the bells and whistles that come along with a luxury SUV. I have had a few repairs done on the car, but they were all covered by the extended warranty. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a fun ride for themselves and/or family! We have owned a Toyota 4-Runner and a Ford SUV in the past,and they pale in comparison to this car.

After 1 year with a used 2004 Touareg
By Turtle on 07/16/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Absolutely a blast of a car to own. Fun to drive under any conditions. This car/truck has done anything I've asked of it (off or on road). It hauls my gear and dog anywhere. While the interior has a few faults, it's close in design and quality to my Audi and that's saying a lot. Yes it's expensive to maintain; like any German car I've owned. But there are a lot of resources out there to find deals and support from other owners. If you're buying a used Touareg buy the best extended warranty you can find. My repairs have been consistent with a 5 year old car but I'm protected to some extent with a warranty. So in sum the most flexible car I've ever owned and an utter pleasure to drive.

Caveat Emptor
By joeschmoe on 07/10/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this T-reg with 7K miles from fleet use. We are very glad we bought the extended warranty, as this car has required over $6K in repairs over the last year. Finally traded it in this week with 97K miles on the odometer. This vehicle performed well in all weather and road conditions. We live in Minnesota where the snow and ice can come quick and strong, and the T-reg could handle all conditions, with good style and comfort. The V6 is a bit underpowered for a vehicle this heavy, but we did not do any towing, so we were OK. There was not enough room in the driver's seat for my 6'2" frame, so I would frequently get uncomfortable on long drives. Reliability problems are bad.

Wacthy out during and after warranty
By Trey on 05/25/09 22:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have bought new cars for years. I've never had problems like this. We own two VW's so I feel I am quite experienced to tell you not to buy one. During warranty they will fix everything no problem. Of course you have to take it in tens times. I own a 2005 Passat and a 2004 Touareg each only gets around 14000 a year in milage. Now that it is out of warranty I am shelling out money left and right. Rear window hydraulics gone at 61k miles etc. - transmission has had three repairs and has broken down again today leaving me stranded in the woods with my family while camping with a 5 yo. I will never let the reliability of a volkswagon be the determining factor of my family's safety again.

Do Not Buy A Touareg - Ever
By FedUp on 05/18/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is the most poorly build cars I have ever bought. It spends most of it's time in the VW repair shop where most of the mechanics know little about how to make the necessary repairs. It's been towed numerous times due to electrical issues and recently had it's 4th battery installed. I had new front brakes put on at 50K which cost $1,000, replaced the original tires at 30K, have a back seat that locks, have a $700 issue with the tire pressure system, have another fault light on related to the air suspension, have a xenon headlight that is problematic. My list of issue is never ending. Please don't waste your money on a Touareg. I'll never buy another VW. The Touareg is a LEMON.

BEWARE: DO NOT BUY THIS SUV
By shena on 05/16/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had so many problems with this SUV. I had it for 8hrs and had to take it back into the shop. Since I bought it, it has been back to the shop 21 times. Now it is in the shop having the transmission replaced. Anything and everything that can break or go wrong with a vehicle has! The dealership refused to even try to fix it, saying that my imagination was running wild, that they could not find any problems. If you buy this SUV be prepared to fork out alot of cash for repairs because once the warranty goes out, then they will find enormous amounts of damage that you have to pay for, even if you have told them about the problems numerous times before. Please don't get suckered in like me!

An other week without my Touareg
By Looking to Sell Toua on 05/12/09 17:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I would not take this vehicle further than 10 miles from home because of reliability problems. Number of ignition coils, air bag, tire pressure, faulty gas cap, door locking problems, just to name a few. Last VW I will ever own!!