2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Total Electrical Failure!
By RPD on 05/21/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased an off-lease VW Touareg that was VW certified, drove well for 1 year then electrical problems started. Truck would just die without any lights, etc being on. Since then it has been in and out of Volkswagen for complete electrical failure, even VW doesn't know how to fix it. They claimed it was after-market wiring which is strange because it was a certified used VW. Anyone looking to buy a used Touareg don't do it you will never be able to drive it and pay almost more than the car is worth fixing it!

2004 VW Touareg
By Carrie Rios on 04/20/10 19:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My car has been in the shop for 64 days now. the 2nd field engineer is being sent out to evaluate the situation. I have been told on 3 separate occasions my car is repaired and ready to pick up and when I get there is does not start. AC has been an issue since day 1. Alignment has also. I am not a happy VW Touareg owner!

8-Way Power Seats a Must!
By EB4VEEDUB on 03/02/10 10:27 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the vehicle on 01/29/10, and have received several compliments on the look of the vehicle. The ride is solid, especially in bad weather. The dash is easy to operate, and has a stylish appearance. My only complaint is the manual seats that require turning a knob for the backrest, and cranking a lever to go up and down. After 30 days I still have not found a comfortable seating position. I have to do yoga stretches in the morning before I get into the car to help ease the discomfort

DO NOT BUY
By Mary C on 01/30/10 07:29 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

High expectations for this model turned into nothing but a series of problems. Drive shaft at 17,000 miles, remove and install prop shaft at 17,000, new stepper motor at 16,000 relocate antenna, replace rear hatch glass latch, 11,000 miles, remove and install differential motor 17,000, defective wheel on board notice on going finally installed new computer system, new tires first 15,000 miles. I could go on and on. The straw at 85,000 needs another drive shaft and possibly a differential, cost 2000 to 6000. Continuing vibration when driving went unaddressed until it was out of warranty. Volkswagen offered us 1500 towards the purchase of a new car. DO NOT PURCHASE A TOUREG!

Watch Out
By MNtracks on 12/02/09 13:26 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

To start with I love this truck! I tis a great design good to drive. The reason for this review is the total lack of any sort of reliability with the unit. Brakes @ $850.00 per axcel I have replace 7 times. Tires maybe 25000 on a good set. Electrical system is absolutely the worst I have ever dealt with. Drive Train, hads to replace the drive shaft linkage at 34500 and the factory wouldn't cover the cost to repair. I cannot tell you how much this vehicle has cost me to own. Never again... Watch Out!

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE
By Holly on 11/28/09 07:59 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

6 days after I purchased the vehicle 3 of the 6 ignition coils were shot and needed to be replaced, a few months later another ignition coil was shot. Since then the Emissions light has been repeatedly going off, was told it was the Catalytic Converter, $3000 to repair! I thought maybe there was something wrong with the sensor as it only seemed to go off when there was a drastic weather change, yet have not had a problem since reset. Power Relay went last week, $1300, then told the Electronic Break Control Modual Assembly was shot, $2400, yet replacement did not fix problem and they have no idea how to fix! DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!

A great SUV
By hawk on 11/08/09 06:53 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Still love the truck after 5 years owning it. Only 2nd set of tires with a lot of tread left after 75000 mi. 1st set of tired was replaced at 48000mi. Still original brake. Replaced battery at 70000mi. One annoying issue was airbag light lit after my wife adjusted driver seat. Check engine light was lit once for no reason but cleared after a visit to the dealer. didn't come back for 2yr but lit again last week. beautiful interior (better than my BMW 5 and MB E class), fit and finish is top notch. gas mileage is poor but not so bad for a performance SUV. feel very safe driving it, great road manner, very solid, no rattling, no loose parts. took to the beach played sand, a very fun SUV.

What was I thinking!
By J Walker on 09/22/09 15:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Problems: $1800 to replace wires in electrical system (quoted$6000); $175 to replace power mirror knob; $875 for driveshaft; $700 to fix AC and rear latch release; $50 per coil wire, bought at least 8, not to mention plugs--currently been told airbag inflator needs replaced ($580) and catalytic converter ($1000). My father is a car dealer, so I bought this from the VW lease line at the auction w/39,000 miles. Had to replace the coil wires and plugs within 1 month. I've been able to save money on some parts and labor with one of my dad's mechanics. Only take to VW when I have to. Always some light on-tire; airbag; brake sensor (need to replace the sensors). Be prepared to spend $$$

VW Experience
By Larry on 09/20/09 16:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Compared to many others, the appearance caught my eye when shopping for a vehicle. Had planned to buy Toyota, but couldn't deal, and salesman was easy to talk to and arrange a deal when we bought both Touareg and Jetta for cash, no trade. Purchased both and drove home from Saskatoon to BC. Several recalls dealt with at Vernon VW, with staff there just the best! Hard on tires - 4th set at 112000 km! At 114000 both fuel pumps failed - go figure. Vernon VW replaced with goodwill partial warranty. Hope nothing else goes!

Need to be a good driver!
By Steve on 08/19/09 13:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have close to 100K on my '04 Taureg and I have owned an Explorer,Expedition,ML320,Jeep, and despite the noise I read about and some personal experience I still believe this is a very good car. Some advice, rotate your tires every 7k. check tire pressure once a month, change oil at 5K at a non VW shop. Also, this is a heavy car, so you need to be sensitive on how hard you hit the brake pedal. No doubt you need to be safe, but if you are an aggressive braker, you will pay for it. They are not cheap to replace. Also, negotiate with your dealer. I have been successful in replacing cost of front lights, brake pads and recently A/C work. Saved 25% of initial estimate