Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

2004 Volkswagen Touareg is $ out-of-control
By rollinfickensc

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased thinking I bought a $60000 car with 60000 miles. It should hold up till 100000 miles. Not even close. I had $4580.60 of repairs in 10 months. Plus the gas milage was about 10 mpg in town and about 15 mpg on the highway. I would never recommend a VW to anyone and would do my best to discourage anyone from buying one. Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned in my 55 years of driving. Replacing anything costs a fortune.

The Ride...

Love the vehicle - hate the repair bills.
By farwest

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Wife uses this as a daily driver to work - 20 mile round trip - almost all highway miles. But is horribly expensive to maintain. $700 for heater blower motor (in California - so hardly ever used). $2800 for timing belt at 60K miles. Just got quoted $3500 to replace the [non-permissible content removed] alternator (have to lower the friggin engine to do it). As much as I like the Taureg, I'd never recommend anyone buy one that is out of warranty.

Performance of the V8 is excellent.

Need more seat adjustments for taller drivers. Need to stop using painted plastic as it peels/get nicked and looks shabby after a few years.

What an Expensive Piece of Junk!!!!!
By growlingbadger

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

2004 Touareg with under 60K miles. I have never had a better maintained vehicle because it's in the shop at least once a month! And expensive!!!!??? A key - $75, key with remote - $150. Headlamp replacement is an annual event. They don't last very long and require a mechanic to install and even Factory techs hate replacing them! Cost - $150. It also has issues that the dealers keep blowing off. This is just the cheap stuff! It's a good day when I can get it out of the shop for under $500. I'm on a first name basis with the wrecker driver the dealer uses.

This wonderful car to drive, whrn it's not in the shop. Maintenance and reliabity issues offset any favorite features. I

Volkswagen means the people's car. It's a high tech, high performance vehicle that's riddled with electronic and mechanical problems. Combine that with outragously over priced parts with poor durability. The people's car? More like the People's NIghtmare! Suggested Improvements? Buy something else.

Flawed Design
By blankfiend

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I'd like to meet the genius who designed this beast. I was just informed by my dealer that to change the liquid cooled alternator would involve 14 hours of labor to pull the engine and cost $2118.00!!

wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy!
By cwhitfield

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

this car has given us so many headaches and there's not enough tylenol or advil to go around! we take care of our vehicles religously and do not drive them into the ground. within 13 months the following: rear drive shaft @ $2000 - yep, i said TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!! this has 2 fuel pumps - so if the primary goes, so does the secondary! Primary @ $900; and the secondary @ $500 = $1300 - it poses itself as an alternator problem, but nope - it gets more expensive because its the fuel pumps! as for the battery - yes, primary and secondary too! and theyre an ass to get to..so good luck. you'd probably save yourself a few hundred if you did this yourself

lets just continue because, besides the leather and trunk space cover, there's no other likes. notice when your airbag light comes on, this can be costly too! theyll have to replace the wiring and the driver seat because the seat is mangling the cabeling to the airbag sensor! about $600 oh, then there's the ignition switch. yeah, you know, where you put your key in - maybe the cheapest fix, but if your loval VW or city doenst have this in stock, it'll take a week or 2 to get - so guess that means, they glue it together and tell you to be carefull...that's what VW told us! Customer care, i think not. regular maintence isnt too bad, but if that's all you think its gonna be;you're wrong

they could improve the entire car for that matter. besides the car not carrying any value at all, so dont bother trading it in unless you plan on putting at least $5 to $6 grand down youre gonna be negative on it;even in good cond, you wont get more than $9k. it eats up gas so youre really getting 13/city; 18/hwy - miles to the gallon, and now w/gas prices over 4.25 youre looking @ $90 a week! that's $360 a month! for those who havent had problems, youre time is coming - good luck with that - hope youve put $ to the side for when it leaves you stranded. beware, we were told even the porsche cheyenne is just as bad!! 1st yr models suck! *all prices provided by VW dealer & owner experience*