Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

my great touareg
By evelyn10

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I really love this touareg, I bought it 6 month ago with 67000 miles and the car runs great, after cleaning the injectors it needs only 18-19mpg in the city and 20mpg at the highway, in 6 month I had no problem I only checked the car at volkswagen and it was free I payed nothing, this is really a excellent luxury SUV, the best I ever had, and my kids are happy with this car, it is the same base and motor like the Porsche Cayenne

Worst vehicle I have ever own
By maczya

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

You will get a love hate relationship with this SUV. It drives great, great in the snow, has great power. It is fun to drive and looks nice. The SUV has some stupid build designs, like the battery is under the drivers seat. Lets talk about how expensive it is to own this vehicle. Replaced thermostat $1200. that right $1200.00 the front part of the car has to be taken off the thermostat is in the front of the engine, so you might as well replace water pump and belt. Your going to have problems with the airbags, the tire monitoring system. The worst part is the battery drain as I hate a car that wont start. So it gets expensive to own the vehicle. Oh and the brakes that was another $1100.

Favorite Features

horsepower, ride, handling and great in snow

Suggested Improvements

electrical system!!!!!! they should own up for this problem SUV and figure out a way to fix all the electrical problems better yet give people there money back and scape all these SUV as I will never own another VW again because of this SUV.

Love the vehicle - hate the repair bills.
By farwest

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Wife uses this as a daily driver to work - 20 mile round trip - almost all highway miles. But is horribly expensive to maintain. $700 for heater blower motor (in California - so hardly ever used). $2800 for timing belt at 60K miles. Just got quoted $3500 to replace the [non-permissible content removed] alternator (have to lower the friggin engine to do it). As much as I like the Taureg, I'd never recommend anyone buy one that is out of warranty.

Favorite Features

Performance of the V8 is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Need more seat adjustments for taller drivers. Need to stop using painted plastic as it peels/get nicked and looks shabby after a few years.

Flawed Design
By blankfiend

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I'd like to meet the genius who designed this beast. I was just informed by my dealer that to change the liquid cooled alternator would involve 14 hours of labor to pull the engine and cost $2118.00!!

wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy!
By cwhitfield

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

this car has given us so many headaches and there's not enough tylenol or advil to go around! we take care of our vehicles religously and do not drive them into the ground. within 13 months the following: rear drive shaft @ $2000 - yep, i said TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!! this has 2 fuel pumps - so if the primary goes, so does the secondary! Primary @ $900; and the secondary @ $500 = $1300 - it poses itself as an alternator problem, but nope - it gets more expensive because its the fuel pumps! as for the battery - yes, primary and secondary too! and theyre an ass to get to..so good luck. you'd probably save yourself a few hundred if you did this yourself

Favorite Features

lets just continue because, besides the leather and trunk space cover, there's no other likes. notice when your airbag light comes on, this can be costly too! theyll have to replace the wiring and the driver seat because the seat is mangling the cabeling to the airbag sensor! about $600 oh, then there's the ignition switch. yeah, you know, where you put your key in - maybe the cheapest fix, but if your loval VW or city doenst have this in stock, it'll take a week or 2 to get - so guess that means, they glue it together and tell you to be carefull...that's what VW told us! Customer care, i think not. regular maintence isnt too bad, but if that's all you think its gonna be;you're wrong

Suggested Improvements

they could improve the entire car for that matter. besides the car not carrying any value at all, so dont bother trading it in unless you plan on putting at least $5 to $6 grand down youre gonna be negative on it;even in good cond, you wont get more than $9k. it eats up gas so youre really getting 13/city; 18/hwy - miles to the gallon, and now w/gas prices over 4.25 youre looking @ $90 a week! that's $360 a month! for those who havent had problems, youre time is coming - good luck with that - hope youve put $ to the side for when it leaves you stranded. beware, we were told even the porsche cheyenne is just as bad!! 1st yr models suck! *all prices provided by VW dealer & owner experience*