2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Worst vehicle I have ever own
By maczya on 05/22/14 19:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

You will get a love hate relationship with this SUV. It drives great, great in the snow, has great power. It is fun to drive and looks nice. The SUV has some stupid build designs, like the battery is under the drivers seat. Lets talk about how expensive it is to own this vehicle. Replaced thermostat $1200. that right $1200.00 the front part of the car has to be taken off the thermostat is in the front of the engine, so you might as well replace water pump and belt. Your going to have problems with the airbags, the tire monitoring system. The worst part is the battery drain as I hate a car that wont start. So it gets expensive to own the vehicle. Oh and the brakes that was another $1100.

Love the vehicle - hate the repair bills.
By farwest on 04/04/12 11:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Wife uses this as a daily driver to work - 20 mile round trip - almost all highway miles. But is horribly expensive to maintain. $700 for heater blower motor (in California - so hardly ever used). $2800 for timing belt at 60K miles. Just got quoted $3500 to replace the [non-permissible content removed] alternator (have to lower the friggin engine to do it). As much as I like the Taureg, I'd never recommend anyone buy one that is out of warranty.

Flawed Design
By blankfiend on 05/24/11 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I'd like to meet the genius who designed this beast. I was just informed by my dealer that to change the liquid cooled alternator would involve 14 hours of labor to pull the engine and cost $2118.00!!

wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy!
By cwhitfield on 05/22/11 15:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

this car has given us so many headaches and there's not enough tylenol or advil to go around! we take care of our vehicles religously and do not drive them into the ground. within 13 months the following: rear drive shaft @ $2000 - yep, i said TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!! this has 2 fuel pumps - so if the primary goes, so does the secondary! Primary @ $900; and the secondary @ $500 = $1300 - it poses itself as an alternator problem, but nope - it gets more expensive because its the fuel pumps! as for the battery - yes, primary and secondary too! and theyre an ass to get to..so good luck. you'd probably save yourself a few hundred if you did this yourself

Amazing Vehicle
By speedle44 on 04/06/11 21:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Love this Vehicle! I see a lot of bad reviews but honestly if you take good care of your car then you won't have problems! Do not buy this vehicle if your money is tight because repairs can be expensive. I have had no trouble with my touareg I LOVE IT!! Super sporty & you feel totally in control when you drive it also very safe! I have never been stranded! JUST KEEP UP WITH OIL CHANGES & REGULAR MAINTENANCE and trust me you'll be fine!

Been a great car for us
By VW Fan on 08/22/10 12:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The car has the amenities of a luxury car, handles like a sports car, has the power of a muscle car, all with great off road capabilities. 100K+ miles and has never left us stranded. The body style doesn't show its age and still turns heads on the road. We live in the country and it has survived the gravel roads as an everyday driver for my wife. Its great for travel (other than the mileage) and gives a sense of safety and security no matter the driving conditions.

Better have deep pockets for repairs
By Miles on 07/07/10 18:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 04 Touareg with 49,900 miles on it. Good thing I got the extended warranty because at 55K miles, the vehicle completely died in the middle of the road. Turned out to be the liquid cooled alternator. Not kidding, a liquid cooled alternator. That repair was over $1,000 but was covered under the extended warranty. The tire pressure sensors constantly act up and remind you about it every time you start the vehicle. Each tire sensor costs $700 to replace. The headlights were flickering on and off. I had them replaced at a price of $598 for the set! Most places wont change the oil, so dealership it was for me. $$$ To sum it all up, this car costs more to maintain than it's worth.

Total Electrical Failure!
By RPD on 05/21/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased an off-lease VW Touareg that was VW certified, drove well for 1 year then electrical problems started. Truck would just die without any lights, etc being on. Since then it has been in and out of Volkswagen for complete electrical failure, even VW doesn't know how to fix it. They claimed it was after-market wiring which is strange because it was a certified used VW. Anyone looking to buy a used Touareg don't do it you will never be able to drive it and pay almost more than the car is worth fixing it!

A great SUV
By hawk on 11/08/09 06:53 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Still love the truck after 5 years owning it. Only 2nd set of tires with a lot of tread left after 75000 mi. 1st set of tired was replaced at 48000mi. Still original brake. Replaced battery at 70000mi. One annoying issue was airbag light lit after my wife adjusted driver seat. Check engine light was lit once for no reason but cleared after a visit to the dealer. didn't come back for 2yr but lit again last week. beautiful interior (better than my BMW 5 and MB E class), fit and finish is top notch. gas mileage is poor but not so bad for a performance SUV. feel very safe driving it, great road manner, very solid, no rattling, no loose parts. took to the beach played sand, a very fun SUV.

Do Not Buy A Touareg - Ever
By FedUp on 05/18/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is the most poorly build cars I have ever bought. It spends most of it's time in the VW repair shop where most of the mechanics know little about how to make the necessary repairs. It's been towed numerous times due to electrical issues and recently had it's 4th battery installed. I had new front brakes put on at 50K which cost $1,000, replaced the original tires at 30K, have a back seat that locks, have a $700 issue with the tire pressure system, have another fault light on related to the air suspension, have a xenon headlight that is problematic. My list of issue is never ending. Please don't waste your money on a Touareg. I'll never buy another VW. The Touareg is a LEMON.