Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Most Helpful|
Worst vehicle I have ever own
By maczya

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

You will get a love hate relationship with this SUV. It drives great, great in the snow, has great power. It is fun to drive and looks nice. The SUV has some stupid build designs, like the battery is under the drivers seat. Lets talk about how expensive it is to own this vehicle. Replaced thermostat $1200. that right $1200.00 the front part of the car has to be taken off the thermostat is in the front of the engine, so you might as well replace water pump and belt. Your going to have problems with the airbags, the tire monitoring system. The worst part is the battery drain as I hate a car that wont start. So it gets expensive to own the vehicle. Oh and the brakes that was another $1100.

Favorite Features

horsepower, ride, handling and great in snow

Suggested Improvements

electrical system!!!!!! they should own up for this problem SUV and figure out a way to fix all the electrical problems better yet give people there money back and scape all these SUV as I will never own another VW again because of this SUV.

Attention Ralph Nader
By Ted

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The Touareg is possibly the worst car of the modern era. There is a Horse Drawn Wagon that circles our city square that has proven more reliable than my Touareg. The problem I am experiencing is no reasonable dealer will take this vehicle on trade. I am essentially stuck with the vehicle and the $100 oil changes, $1400 dollar yearly brake jobs and constant need for premium gas. Which gets pricey considering this vehicle has the fuel efficiency of a HUMMER. Despite the hit on my resale, I don't want anyone else to get stuck with a Touareg. Frankly, I hope Volkswagen stops makings them - and I can sell mine to a museum.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the drawing board. Additionally, I would suggest sending letters of apology to all of the current Touareg owners.

Junk!!!
By Watson

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I wish I could rate this thing lower than a 1 on reliability. Tire PSI warning system, updates etc... It drinks gas and it is ALWAYS in the shop. I did'nt even make it home the 1st day before I had to take it back for the Tire Warning System, and it has not gotten any better. Should you be on a first name basis with ALL of the service writers BEFORE THE FIRST OIL CHANGE!! Shame on you VW, shame on you for selling me this junk car and not even making a concerned effort to fix the monster you created! This will be my last VW ever.

Favorite Features

The day I sell it!

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list here buddy, but, fix my car or buy it back!!

LOVE THIS CAR
45 of 74,107 people found this review helpful
By Benzboy429

What can I say I got it today, and I love it

Favorite Features

Bi-Xenon Headlights, Heated Seats, 12 way power seats, ride of car, moonroof, and steering wheel/steering wheel controls

Suggested Improvements

bigger cup holders, more hp

2004 Volkswagen Touareg is $ out-of-control
By rollinfickensc

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased thinking I bought a $60000 car with 60000 miles. It should hold up till 100000 miles. Not even close. I had $4580.60 of repairs in 10 months. Plus the gas milage was about 10 mpg in town and about 15 mpg on the highway. I would never recommend a VW to anyone and would do my best to discourage anyone from buying one. Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned in my 55 years of driving. Replacing anything costs a fortune.

Favorite Features

The Ride...