Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews - 577 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Where are you guys shopping at?!
By Diana

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car used at 100,000 had it for over 2 years. I've had absolutely no issues. I've had my breaks changed and tires and it didn't break the bank. Word to the wise make friends with someone who is familiar with these cars. My mechanic changes my breaks for under $100 [i purchased the brakes] my tires are 20" run me $123 a piece cash! Shop around and you won't spend so much the dealer over charges EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!!'

Love my Tourareg
By Karen

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I really love this car and have been driving it for the past six years. I am really sad that the new SUVs do not come with the V-8. Sad sad sad!

Terrible car to own
By Mo

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I don't know where the positive reviews on this truck is coming from. The electrical problem on truck will almost run you bankrupt. It constantly has one problem or the other. To change a battery alone . You should be looking at $400 . VW has the battery under the driver seat to make money i guess. Most of VW technician don't know much about the electrical problem with this truck and 9 out of 10 times advise you to get rid of it. You will not be happy in the long run if you own this vehicle.

Epitome of a Love/Hate Relationship
By fmcho

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My parents bought this new in Sep 04. Now 10+ years later, it's only used to go to the grocery store or LA fitness. This car have good looks, very nice interior (for its price), nice ride. But everything else pretty much sucks. Although it's "only" a VW, maintaining and fixing this car costs a fortune. MPG is about 10/16 city/highway which is horrendous. Drive shaft broke and needed replacement at 30k and 60k. Fuel pump failed around 42k. Airbag fault at 10k. TPMS failed at 25k. As of now, the only problem is the totally broken electricals; keeps telling me I have low engine pressure even though I don't. The only thing that hasn't failed is the transmission which is made in Japan. Go figure.

Great looks.

Don't buy it used + out of warranty. As someone else said in another review, "VW should own up to selling these Lemons and fix its problems for free." Really couldn't have said it any better especially with the cost of maintenance/fixing for the past 10yrs hovering around 15-20 grand.

my great touareg
By evelyn10

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I really love this touareg, I bought it 6 month ago with 67000 miles and the car runs great, after cleaning the injectors it needs only 18-19mpg in the city and 20mpg at the highway, in 6 month I had no problem I only checked the car at volkswagen and it was free I payed nothing, this is really a excellent luxury SUV, the best I ever had, and my kids are happy with this car, it is the same base and motor like the Porsche Cayenne