2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
my great touareg
By evelyn10 on 09/17/14 09:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I really love this touareg, I bought it 6 month ago with 67000 miles and the car runs great, after cleaning the injectors it needs only 18-19mpg in the city and 20mpg at the highway, in 6 month I had no problem I only checked the car at volkswagen and it was free I payed nothing, this is really a excellent luxury SUV, the best I ever had, and my kids are happy with this car, it is the same base and motor like the Porsche Cayenne

my 2004 VW Touareg 3200cc
By evelyn10 on 09/16/14 11:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this great car 6 month ago with 67000 miles and I am so happy, no problems, this is the best SUV I ever had, I made a check at VW to controll everything and I had nothing to pay, this is a real great and reliable car and sooo luxury inside

Worst vehicle I have ever own
By maczya on 05/22/14 19:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

You will get a love hate relationship with this SUV. It drives great, great in the snow, has great power. It is fun to drive and looks nice. The SUV has some stupid build designs, like the battery is under the drivers seat. Lets talk about how expensive it is to own this vehicle. Replaced thermostat $1200. that right $1200.00 the front part of the car has to be taken off the thermostat is in the front of the engine, so you might as well replace water pump and belt. Your going to have problems with the airbags, the tire monitoring system. The worst part is the battery drain as I hate a car that wont start. So it gets expensive to own the vehicle. Oh and the brakes that was another $1100.

2004 Volkswagen Touareg is $ out-of-control
By rollinfickensc on 05/23/12 11:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased thinking I bought a $60000 car with 60000 miles. It should hold up till 100000 miles. Not even close. I had $4580.60 of repairs in 10 months. Plus the gas milage was about 10 mpg in town and about 15 mpg on the highway. I would never recommend a VW to anyone and would do my best to discourage anyone from buying one. Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned in my 55 years of driving. Replacing anything costs a fortune.

Love the vehicle - hate the repair bills.
By farwest on 04/04/12 11:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Wife uses this as a daily driver to work - 20 mile round trip - almost all highway miles. But is horribly expensive to maintain. $700 for heater blower motor (in California - so hardly ever used). $2800 for timing belt at 60K miles. Just got quoted $3500 to replace the [non-permissible content removed] alternator (have to lower the friggin engine to do it). As much as I like the Taureg, I'd never recommend anyone buy one that is out of warranty.

What an Expensive Piece of Junk!!!!!
By growlingbadger on 09/02/11 09:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

2004 Touareg with under 60K miles. I have never had a better maintained vehicle because it's in the shop at least once a month! And expensive!!!!??? A key - $75, key with remote - $150. Headlamp replacement is an annual event. They don't last very long and require a mechanic to install and even Factory techs hate replacing them! Cost - $150. It also has issues that the dealers keep blowing off. This is just the cheap stuff! It's a good day when I can get it out of the shop for under $500. I'm on a first name basis with the wrecker driver the dealer uses.

Flawed Design
By blankfiend on 05/24/11 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I'd like to meet the genius who designed this beast. I was just informed by my dealer that to change the liquid cooled alternator would involve 14 hours of labor to pull the engine and cost $2118.00!!

wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy!
By cwhitfield on 05/22/11 15:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

this car has given us so many headaches and there's not enough tylenol or advil to go around! we take care of our vehicles religously and do not drive them into the ground. within 13 months the following: rear drive shaft @ $2000 - yep, i said TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!! this has 2 fuel pumps - so if the primary goes, so does the secondary! Primary @ $900; and the secondary @ $500 = $1300 - it poses itself as an alternator problem, but nope - it gets more expensive because its the fuel pumps! as for the battery - yes, primary and secondary too! and theyre an ass to get to..so good luck. you'd probably save yourself a few hundred if you did this yourself

Amazing Vehicle
By speedle44 on 04/06/11 21:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Love this Vehicle! I see a lot of bad reviews but honestly if you take good care of your car then you won't have problems! Do not buy this vehicle if your money is tight because repairs can be expensive. I have had no trouble with my touareg I LOVE IT!! Super sporty & you feel totally in control when you drive it also very safe! I have never been stranded! JUST KEEP UP WITH OIL CHANGES & REGULAR MAINTENANCE and trust me you'll be fine!

Been a great car for us
By VW Fan on 08/22/10 12:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The car has the amenities of a luxury car, handles like a sports car, has the power of a muscle car, all with great off road capabilities. 100K+ miles and has never left us stranded. The body style doesn't show its age and still turns heads on the road. We live in the country and it has survived the gravel roads as an everyday driver for my wife. Its great for travel (other than the mileage) and gives a sense of safety and security no matter the driving conditions.