Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Epitome of a Love/Hate Relationship
By fmcho

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My parents bought this new in Sep 04. Now 10+ years later, it's only used to go to the grocery store or LA fitness. This car have good looks, very nice interior (for its price), nice ride. But everything else pretty much sucks. Although it's "only" a VW, maintaining and fixing this car costs a fortune. MPG is about 10/16 city/highway which is horrendous. Drive shaft broke and needed replacement at 30k and 60k. Fuel pump failed around 42k. Airbag fault at 10k. TPMS failed at 25k. As of now, the only problem is the totally broken electricals; keeps telling me I have low engine pressure even though I don't. The only thing that hasn't failed is the transmission which is made in Japan. Go figure.

Great looks.

Don't buy it used + out of warranty. As someone else said in another review, "VW should own up to selling these Lemons and fix its problems for free." Really couldn't have said it any better especially with the cost of maintenance/fixing for the past 10yrs hovering around 15-20 grand.

my great touareg
By evelyn10

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I really love this touareg, I bought it 6 month ago with 67000 miles and the car runs great, after cleaning the injectors it needs only 18-19mpg in the city and 20mpg at the highway, in 6 month I had no problem I only checked the car at volkswagen and it was free I payed nothing, this is really a excellent luxury SUV, the best I ever had, and my kids are happy with this car, it is the same base and motor like the Porsche Cayenne

my 2004 VW Touareg 3200cc
By evelyn10

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this great car 6 month ago with 67000 miles and I am so happy, no problems, this is the best SUV I ever had, I made a check at VW to controll everything and I had nothing to pay, this is a real great and reliable car and sooo luxury inside

Worst vehicle I have ever own
By maczya

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

You will get a love hate relationship with this SUV. It drives great, great in the snow, has great power. It is fun to drive and looks nice. The SUV has some stupid build designs, like the battery is under the drivers seat. Lets talk about how expensive it is to own this vehicle. Replaced thermostat $1200. that right $1200.00 the front part of the car has to be taken off the thermostat is in the front of the engine, so you might as well replace water pump and belt. Your going to have problems with the airbags, the tire monitoring system. The worst part is the battery drain as I hate a car that wont start. So it gets expensive to own the vehicle. Oh and the brakes that was another $1100.

horsepower, ride, handling and great in snow

electrical system!!!!!! they should own up for this problem SUV and figure out a way to fix all the electrical problems better yet give people there money back and scape all these SUV as I will never own another VW again because of this SUV.

2004 Volkswagen Touareg is $ out-of-control
By rollinfickensc

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased thinking I bought a $60000 car with 60000 miles. It should hold up till 100000 miles. Not even close. I had $4580.60 of repairs in 10 months. Plus the gas milage was about 10 mpg in town and about 15 mpg on the highway. I would never recommend a VW to anyone and would do my best to discourage anyone from buying one. Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned in my 55 years of driving. Replacing anything costs a fortune.

The Ride...