2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
After 1 year with a used 2004 Touareg
By Turtle on 07/16/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Absolutely a blast of a car to own. Fun to drive under any conditions. This car/truck has done anything I've asked of it (off or on road). It hauls my gear and dog anywhere. While the interior has a few faults, it's close in design and quality to my Audi and that's saying a lot. Yes it's expensive to maintain; like any German car I've owned. But there are a lot of resources out there to find deals and support from other owners. If you're buying a used Touareg buy the best extended warranty you can find. My repairs have been consistent with a 5 year old car but I'm protected to some extent with a warranty. So in sum the most flexible car I've ever owned and an utter pleasure to drive.

Least Reliable Car I ever owned
By Mike M on 01/25/09 16:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought this car used just over a year ago. I've had almost 20K in repairs in that time. I found out afterwards that 2004 was the first year of the touareg and the V10. It is loaded with all sorts of problems. Mine has been in the shop 3 months of the first year. Do a web search before buying one. When it does work its the best car I've owned, so if its a second car that you don't have to use daily then buy it. We need it for towing and its ruined quit a few weekends buy either stranding us somewhere or having to cancel because it was in the shop again.

Love / Hate of a V10 TDI Touareg
By Gary on 12/29/05 10:24 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI is an absolute blast to drive, the V10 engine can only be described as a torque monster. Throw in mid-20's for gas mileage and you have a great package. But...the thing has been back to the dealership every other month for a host of recurring and random problems ranging from repeated air bag faults to vibrations to interior trim that cracks in cold temperatures to power loss at speed. Needless to say, a great package has been marred by a dreadful reliability record. Unfortunately I can't tolerate the lack of reliability, so I must say goodbye to the torque monster.

Love the v-10....No belts or chains
By LUKE on 04/20/05 15:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This has to be the best S.U.V. That i have ever drove. The fact that it has a fully geared engine is awesome!! To think the only vehicle like it, is a military vehicle. What a car

Touareg V10 a hit!!
By jalsema on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

After suffering through a Mercedes M class, this Touareg is a joy. It is fast, solid, convenient and out-handles almost anything I have owned in the past - car or SUV. Only complaints, and they are minor, are that the radio has very poor reception and the navigation is clumsy and out-dated. I am enjoying a solid 22 miles per gallon in mixed driving and have gotten as high as 24.9 on an all highway trip. Everywhere I go peopole are interested in the vehicle; it really turns heads.

Buy one, if you can find one.
By ToughCustomer on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This thing is incredible. If ranked soley as a luxury car, off-road 4x4, sport sedan, station wagon, it would do very well. The fact that it can do ALL of those functions, is amazing. We have a current BMW M5 and its no longer the favorite car to drive! No kidding. We had a Cayenne Turbo on order. I'm sure its nice, but glad we went V10 Diesel instead.

Nice Car
By rwgputdrive on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Looks like the Porsche at 1/3 less.

2004 toureg minnesota
By jim bergtold on 05/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

i tested at least a half dozen suvs and the vw came out on top in every catagory.