Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Touareg 2004 review
By Alan

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I love to drive this SUV and I expected the low gas mileage so not a big deal. It is comfortable and quiet on the freeway and loves to run about 80 mph, mileage at that speed is about 17 mph on this particular vehicle. This V8 will scream if you let the horses run and I'm amazed it moves this beast so quickly and so effortlessly. With the adjustable seats and seat warmer you can drive all day and not be overly fatigued. The downside is the cost to repair and this first year SUV and seems to have more than it's share of shop time. Electronics and suspension at this point are an issue.
If you find one and decide you like it take it to a mechanic and have a thorough diagnostic done, especially the Air Suspension and Transmission. Preferably a VW Mechanic.

heap of rubbish
By stav39

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This car just breaks down at every opportunity it spent more time in the workshop than on the road.
Everything gone wrong electrical engine gearbox interior wheels etc etc

Good offroad

Train your dealers to fix it.

After 1 year with a used 2004 Touareg
By Turtle

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Absolutely a blast of a car to own. Fun to drive under any conditions. This car/truck has done anything I've asked of it (off or on road). It hauls my gear and dog anywhere. While the interior has a few faults, it's close in design and quality to my Audi and that's saying a lot. Yes it's expensive to maintain; like any German car I've owned. But there are a lot of resources out there to find deals and support from other owners. If you're buying a used Touareg buy the best extended warranty you can find. My repairs have been consistent with a 5 year old car but I'm protected to some extent with a warranty. So in sum the most flexible car I've ever owned and an utter pleasure to drive.

The beast of an engine. The V10TDI is a classic. Air-ride suspension, when I feel like it I can get a sedan-like feel by dropping into sport mode and off-road setting can get me extra height when needed. Keyless entry, heated seats, predictable handling, solid feel, towing ability, great breaking.

Weight-loss program, more mod options. I think they fixed a lot of my other nit-picks (cracked wood paneling, button coating) with Touareg 2.

Least Reliable Car I ever owned
By Mike M

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought this car used just over a year ago. I've had almost 20K in repairs in that time. I found out afterwards that 2004 was the first year of the touareg and the V10. It is loaded with all sorts of problems. Mine has been in the shop 3 months of the first year. Do a web search before buying one. When it does work its the best car I've owned, so if its a second car that you don't have to use daily then buy it. We need it for towing and its ruined quit a few weekends buy either stranding us somewhere or having to cancel because it was in the shop again.

Its got every tow known to man. Air suspension for load leveling when towing and adjustable ride height. Heated front and rear seats, parking sensors front and rear. V10 gets great mileage and will pull anything.

Build a more reliable vehicle. Why do I have to change the fuel filter every 20,000 miles at a cost of $250.00. Oil changes that cost $190.00 are crazy also. Turbos keep giving out. Also use a better design for the carrier bearing for the drive shaft, a rubber bushing breaks too easy.

Love / Hate of a V10 TDI Touareg
By Gary

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI AWD 4dr SUV (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI is an absolute blast to drive, the V10 engine can only be described as a torque monster. Throw in mid-20's for gas mileage and you have a great package. But...the thing has been back to the dealership every other month for a host of recurring and random problems ranging from repeated air bag faults to vibrations to interior trim that cracks in cold temperatures to power loss at speed. Needless to say, a great package has been marred by a dreadful reliability record. Unfortunately I can't tolerate the lack of reliability, so I must say goodbye to the torque monster.

The incredible engine and excellent fuel economy for such power. The interior is spectacular in both design and comfort.

A +$60,000 vehicle that does not have to go back to the dealer 10 times in 20 months of ownership.