2004 Volkswagen Touareg 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

V6 4dr SUV (3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Epitome of a Love/Hate Relationship
By fmcho on 01/02/15 23:44 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My parents bought this new in Sep 04. Now 10+ years later, it's only used to go to the grocery store or LA fitness. This car have good looks, very nice interior (for its price), nice ride. But everything else pretty much sucks. Although it's "only" a VW, maintaining and fixing this car costs a fortune. MPG is about 10/16 city/highway which is horrendous. Drive shaft broke and needed replacement at 30k and 60k. Fuel pump failed around 42k. Airbag fault at 10k. TPMS failed at 25k. As of now, the only problem is the totally broken electricals; keeps telling me I have low engine pressure even though I don't. The only thing that hasn't failed is the transmission which is made in Japan. Go figure.

my 2004 VW Touareg 3200cc
By evelyn10 on 09/16/14 11:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this great car 6 month ago with 67000 miles and I am so happy, no problems, this is the best SUV I ever had, I made a check at VW to controll everything and I had nothing to pay, this is a real great and reliable car and sooo luxury inside

2004 Volkswagen Touareg is $ out-of-control
By rollinfickensc on 05/23/12 11:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased thinking I bought a $60000 car with 60000 miles. It should hold up till 100000 miles. Not even close. I had $4580.60 of repairs in 10 months. Plus the gas milage was about 10 mpg in town and about 15 mpg on the highway. I would never recommend a VW to anyone and would do my best to discourage anyone from buying one. Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned in my 55 years of driving. Replacing anything costs a fortune.

What an Expensive Piece of Junk!!!!!
By growlingbadger on 09/02/11 09:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

2004 Touareg with under 60K miles. I have never had a better maintained vehicle because it's in the shop at least once a month! And expensive!!!!??? A key - $75, key with remote - $150. Headlamp replacement is an annual event. They don't last very long and require a mechanic to install and even Factory techs hate replacing them! Cost - $150. It also has issues that the dealers keep blowing off. This is just the cheap stuff! It's a good day when I can get it out of the shop for under $500. I'm on a first name basis with the wrecker driver the dealer uses.

2004 Touareg
By GrayZ0ne on 08/21/10 10:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I only drive a few miles to my studio daily, but about 12 times a year I go to the Mojave Desert to do landscape photography. I find the Touareg an excellent ORV for my purposes and consider it a unique vehicle for its combination of highway manners and off-road capability. The low MPG is understandable given the vehicle's weight, but could be better.

2004 VW Touareg
By Carrie Rios on 04/20/10 19:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My car has been in the shop for 64 days now. the 2nd field engineer is being sent out to evaluate the situation. I have been told on 3 separate occasions my car is repaired and ready to pick up and when I get there is does not start. AC has been an issue since day 1. Alignment has also. I am not a happy VW Touareg owner!

8-Way Power Seats a Must!
By EB4VEEDUB on 03/02/10 10:27 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the vehicle on 01/29/10, and have received several compliments on the look of the vehicle. The ride is solid, especially in bad weather. The dash is easy to operate, and has a stylish appearance. My only complaint is the manual seats that require turning a knob for the backrest, and cranking a lever to go up and down. After 30 days I still have not found a comfortable seating position. I have to do yoga stretches in the morning before I get into the car to help ease the discomfort

DO NOT BUY
By Mary C on 01/30/10 07:29 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

High expectations for this model turned into nothing but a series of problems. Drive shaft at 17,000 miles, remove and install prop shaft at 17,000, new stepper motor at 16,000 relocate antenna, replace rear hatch glass latch, 11,000 miles, remove and install differential motor 17,000, defective wheel on board notice on going finally installed new computer system, new tires first 15,000 miles. I could go on and on. The straw at 85,000 needs another drive shaft and possibly a differential, cost 2000 to 6000. Continuing vibration when driving went unaddressed until it was out of warranty. Volkswagen offered us 1500 towards the purchase of a new car. DO NOT PURCHASE A TOUREG!

Watch Out
By MNtracks on 12/02/09 13:26 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

To start with I love this truck! I tis a great design good to drive. The reason for this review is the total lack of any sort of reliability with the unit. Brakes @ $850.00 per axcel I have replace 7 times. Tires maybe 25000 on a good set. Electrical system is absolutely the worst I have ever dealt with. Drive Train, hads to replace the drive shaft linkage at 34500 and the factory wouldn't cover the cost to repair. I cannot tell you how much this vehicle has cost me to own. Never again... Watch Out!

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE
By Holly on 11/28/09 07:59 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

6 days after I purchased the vehicle 3 of the 6 ignition coils were shot and needed to be replaced, a few months later another ignition coil was shot. Since then the Emissions light has been repeatedly going off, was told it was the Catalytic Converter, $3000 to repair! I thought maybe there was something wrong with the sensor as it only seemed to go off when there was a drastic weather change, yet have not had a problem since reset. Power Relay went last week, $1300, then told the Electronic Break Control Modual Assembly was shot, $2400, yet replacement did not fix problem and they have no idea how to fix! DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!