Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 Consumer Reviews - 274 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Where are you guys shopping at?!
By Diana

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car used at 100,000 had it for over 2 years. I've had absolutely no issues. I've had my breaks changed and tires and it didn't break the bank. Word to the wise make friends with someone who is familiar with these cars. My mechanic changes my breaks for under $100 [i purchased the brakes] my tires are 20" run me $123 a piece cash! Shop around and you won't spend so much the dealer over charges EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!!'

Epitome of a Love/Hate Relationship
By fmcho

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My parents bought this new in Sep 04. Now 10+ years later, it's only used to go to the grocery store or LA fitness. This car have good looks, very nice interior (for its price), nice ride. But everything else pretty much sucks. Although it's "only" a VW, maintaining and fixing this car costs a fortune. MPG is about 10/16 city/highway which is horrendous. Drive shaft broke and needed replacement at 30k and 60k. Fuel pump failed around 42k. Airbag fault at 10k. TPMS failed at 25k. As of now, the only problem is the totally broken electricals; keeps telling me I have low engine pressure even though I don't. The only thing that hasn't failed is the transmission which is made in Japan. Go figure.

Great looks.

Don't buy it used + out of warranty. As someone else said in another review, "VW should own up to selling these Lemons and fix its problems for free." Really couldn't have said it any better especially with the cost of maintenance/fixing for the past 10yrs hovering around 15-20 grand.

my 2004 VW Touareg 3200cc
By evelyn10

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this great car 6 month ago with 67000 miles and I am so happy, no problems, this is the best SUV I ever had, I made a check at VW to controll everything and I had nothing to pay, this is a real great and reliable car and sooo luxury inside

2004 Volkswagen Touareg is $ out-of-control
By rollinfickensc

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased thinking I bought a $60000 car with 60000 miles.
It should hold up till 100000 miles.
Not even close.
I had $4580.60 of repairs in 10 months.
Plus the gas milage was about 10 mpg in town and about 15 mpg on the highway.
I would never recommend a VW to anyone and would do my best to discourage anyone from buying one.
Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned in my 55 years of driving.
Replacing anything costs a fortune.

The Ride...

What an Expensive Piece of Junk!!!!!
By growlingbadger

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

2004 Touareg with under 60K miles.
I have never had a better maintained vehicle because it's in the shop at least once a month!
And expensive!!!!???
A key - $75, key with remote - $150.
Headlamp replacement is an annual event.
They don't last very long and require a mechanic to install and even Factory techs hate replacing them! Cost - $150.
It also has issues that the dealers keep blowing off.
This is just the cheap stuff!
It's a good day when I can get it out of the shop for under $500.
I'm on a first name basis with the wrecker driver the dealer uses.

This wonderful car to drive, whrn it's not in the shop. Maintenance and reliabity issues offset any favorite features. I

Volkswagen means the people's car. It's a high tech, high performance vehicle that's riddled with electronic and mechanical problems. Combine that with outragously over priced parts with poor durability. The people's car? More like the People's NIghtmare! Suggested Improvements? Buy something else.