Used 2009 Volkswagen Touareg 2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Touareg 2 model:

2008 Touareg 2 Lux model CPO best car I have owned
By Joseph Braun

2009 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In 2012, I purchased my 2008 model Touareg "2" at 4 years old, under 50k miles, as a VW Certified Pre-owned vehicle (2008 model is a Touareg with 200+ parts updated and a front facelift). It has turned out to be the best car I've ever owned, and now at about 8 years old and over 90K miles, I've not had any issues with this SUV, other than front break system calipers sticking at one point, which the dealer replaced on extended warrenty on a normal every 10K miles maintenance. I use the car daily for travel to and from work, and put more miles on it than I would like to have, but it has proven itself a reliable trooper daily, including we take it occasionally on several hundred mile out-of-state trips and back successfully. I can understand a few others purchasing a few vehicles with other issues, but my own experience with it has been nothing short of great. And I find that usually, only the people with problems tend to post, not so many with good things to say. Prior to that I owned a VW Jetta for over ten years, and it was also a trooper on the road, reliable and all for over 200K miles.

Big Mistake
By chefron

2009 Volkswagen Touareg 2 V6 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Drivers beware! I had a 2008 Touareg 2 and decided to go for the 2009 Touareg TDI. My TDI has less than 10,000 miles and can't make it out of the shop. The Touareg has been towed twice and driven 3 additional times back to the dealer for the same problem "no power" Nobody has a clue what is wrong with the VW Touareg TDI. I have had VW America make promise dates that just go by.Thank God Kentucky has a lemon law. My new 2009 TDI Touareg was not road worthy. The exhaust was so hot it melted the plastic bumper as well. Be sure to replace the metal washer with every oil change. The car was dripping so much oil it was towed back to the dealer. My pearl white TDI has faded to "lemon" yellow.

Great towing and performance. The sound system and bluetooth is second to none.

Alarm system going off when locking the car. Backseat conversion time is a problem when cargo room is needed.

2009 Touareg
By DHVWDRIVER

2009 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I found a new 2009 Touareg on a dealer's lot and think I got a great price. Very happy after three weeks ownership, but have the phantom theft alarm problem, that I have read is a bad ground wire on the alarm system the dealer should fix.

Head room (I am 6 foot 4). Good sized cabin. Nice ride and sporty handling. Off road capability.

The mileage. Who thought to put the battery in an inaccessible under the driver seat location anyway? Side trim materials that would protect against door dings. I think the chrome may have a problem from the factory.

Touareg Nightmare...
By jv91

2009 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I first fell in love with the Touareg 2 as soon as I saw it on the street. I decided to buy this vehicle, very happy with the price I paid not to mention the 0% financing I was able to secure. That's where my happiness fades however. This truck has been an electrical nightmare spending more time in the shop then any other car I've ever owned. If its not my interior lights flickering, its the constant battery and electrical issues. Currently, the front parking lights are both broken and I ask myself, how can a BRAND NEW car that is only one year old already have lights and fuses breaking? Just shows the quality of the materials used in the car. However when the car isn't broken it's awesome.

-Great handling for such a heavy vehicle. -Standard 4WD -Easy to use navigation unit.

Get the electrical issues fixed Volkswagen!! I'm not the only Touareg owner who suffers from these issues. Not to mention, I paid $40k+ and at that price I expect Xenon headlights and bluetooth phone compatibility to be standard.

TDI V-6 2009
By Riverman

2009 Volkswagen Touareg 2 V6 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is my second Touareg replacing a 2005 V-6 with a 2009 V-6 TDI after an incident with a adult beef cow. The solid durability, safety and handling features are critical for preventing personal injury in an emergency. The handling features of the Touareg makes for stress reduction when driving on ice and unplowed roads in remote rural areas. Clean diesel technology results in a quiet engine with excellent acceleration when needed. It also has much improved fuel economy over the V- 6 gasoline engine.

Safety and handling in emergency situations.

The adjustable roof bars on the 2005 were superior to the roof rails on the 2009 for modification for ski/kayak mounting systems.

• SUV