Used 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Touareg 2 model:

A great non-grocery getter
By 2VT6

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great SUV but it is not your typical soccer mom grocery getter. Volkswagen designed this to be one of the best off-roaders in the world, while providing exceptional comfort on the road. The 4x4 system is unmatched by anyone in its class and it WILL get you there and back in comfort. This is also one of the safest SUVs on the market. It is over engineered through and through. It may not be the roomiest, cheapest or most readily available but that is not what its built for. Get a Suburban for that. The Touareg mixes a blend of comfort, high class quality, luxury and unmatched off road prowess that very few SUVs on the road even come close.

The stellar off road capabilities, truly great. Composed on the road and fantastic quality. Safety and good looks, ours has the optional 19" wheels which add to the appeal. AFS bi-xenon headlights. The optional Dynaudio sound system is very good. Not many on the road. Greatly designed.

The VR6 doesn't have the quickest acceleration off the line but very torquey at higher speeds. Poor gas mileage, unfortunately reliability is not one of its stronger suits. Expensive maintenance but then again, this vehicle is very highly engineered which makes it more labor intensive.

LessthandependableVW
By Bill

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this VW used w/14k miles on it.That low mileage should have made the alarm go off, but I "assumed" the low mpg rating was the reason for the early trade-in.The first item was an engine hesitation from a cold start.Three trips to the dealer and a power pack was finally replaced. Then the first time I needed the AWD to get thru some snow/ice for work, the alternator went out (23K miles).Of course VW doesn't have repair parts in the US, so I had to wait 10 days for the alternator (actually a generator) to be shipped from Germany. I was given a rental car (Toyota Corolla) to drive. I guess they wanted to make sure I could get back to the dealer's. And I replaced the tires at 21K.

HID headlights,Push-button Rear hatch open/close, Handling/ride when it runs

Electrical components, Spin-on oil filter instead of using a filter housing with a plug in the bottom, an alternator instead of a generator (no brushes on alternator). The Japanese engineers can kick German engineers butts.

VW review
By VW Driver

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Saddened to write this: Potential buyers beware, dont let the streamlined good looks of this car fool you; its not as fun to own as one would think. For starters, insufficient interior storage- be it for your cell, sunglasses or misc supplies (definitely not a mom friendly car). The owners manual is HUGE, poorly written and time consuming to find what you are looking for and you will be looking. And it lacks basic answers. "Warning" lights are a constant. Needed new brake pads at 12k miles- $600 bucks! An oil change is $100+ and gas, OMG! Also, this car is not intuitive- things are not where they should be and I find driving it annoying on most days. I SO wanted to love this car...but DON'T!

Safety...feels like I'm in a high- performance German Tank and I love how secure it feels. The exterior appearance.

The tire pressure light; in So Cal where the temp changes from morning to night, my exclamation light is on daily! Need a sunglasses holder, an area deep enough for a cell phone, larger middle console, less or more space between seat and center (lost a lot in that space and cant get it out)...

My T2 1 year review
By c thelen

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV V8 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Had my t2 for about a year now. This is my first suv and I am very pleased so far. The car handles very well and the drive is very comfortable. My friends are impressed by the handeling and I love the interior design. I have the tan interior with dark Grey exterior. The car still looks and and drives like it just left the show room after about 12,000 miles. Also love the overal size and dimentions of the car. Love the width of the hood.

sounds great. reminds me a little of my Audi S4 sports sedan. The air suspension is a must have. love the dynamic ride control. sport mode is really fun. I do allot of towning and the huge capacity is great. Love the interior design and the way the car lights up at night is just awesome :)

Maybe better gas mileage. But im not willing to give up the v8 or sound of the engine, So without compromise Id say vw should make a lighter T2 in the future using more lightweight materials. Also maybe a slight more masculine front end would be nice.

VW Touareg is a terrific vehicle
By HappyVWowner

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I test drove 10 SUV's Nissan, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, Buick,Honda, Acura,Infinity and then I went to Vw to take them off my list. I fell in love with the ride, the ammenities, the style, and over all performance and stopped at that point and purchased my Touareg. I have owned it for 6 months and I LOVE my Touareg. 73% of the parta are the same a s the Porsche Cayenne but the Touareg is less $$ I like it's style better. Never been happier with a vehicle. My last SUV was a Mercedes ML 350 and I hated that vehicle it was always in for repairs. I'm so impressed with VW I don't think I'll ever get anything other than a VW in the future.

The handling, interior, exterior, the side head lights when you make a right or left turn light up the entire side of the road. The quick response when you accelerate, the roomy leg room for passengers, the rear air conditioning, the navigation, the instruments redundancy in the steering wheel

I can't think of anything they can improve my Touareg is perfect.