2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg 2 model:
Tire wear
By da fonz on 09/30/08 13:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Be prepared to replace the tires on this vehicle approximately every 20,000 miles due to the weight of the vehicle and possibly to its design. Volkswagen however does not bear any responsibility for the unusual tire (camber) wear.

Amazing
By Mike on 08/18/08 17:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Amazing on road and off road: This is truly a hidden secret from the American public. A true road car in the German tradition plus a beast off road. This midsize suv is the weight of a full size American truck. The 6 cylinder is reasonable power for all duties and will politely utilize 19.7 MPG on the highway at plus 65 MPH. Giving in to conservation you can get 21 MPG easily. The off road ride quality is one of the best. Trim and finish are what you expect in a fine German product. This suv is a dressed down Porche "C" not a dressed up Toyota. It is too much suv for the grocery but the right choice for the professional who has business off road as in RE development, engineering etc.

2008 Touareg 2
By TOUAREG on 08/07/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love my touareg. However at the countryside dealership, the service has been horrible! I could not believe how rude some of the customer service people have been. I wish I had bought the suv at some other place. I have had problems with the fuel gauge, the seat belt cracked piece broke off. So far. However, my friend told me once you buy a German or Japanese vehicle you will never go back to anything else. I got the fully loaded v6 edition. Thanks to edmunds, I got the touareg at cost. The ride is smooth I have the Sirius radio and is the best option ever.

Love this SUV
By Susan on 06/04/08 14:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I looked at several other SUVs and this was the best buy without a doubt. I love it, it is fun to drive and I am impressed with the fuel economy.

Great suv to have
By Fred on 02/29/08 08:58 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I test drove Touareg 2, Volvo XC90, and other SUVs, Touareg is really fun to drive. I wanted to buy the V8 model in the beginning, however after I tried VR6, I found its performance is amazing even on the high way. It's also very easy to control, even at the sharp corner. It consumes gas a lot, but remember, this is a 5000+ lbs solid suv, not a 1500 lbs hybrid japanese car. It's a must to test drive suv.

My best SUV yet!
By Alex on 12/13/07 08:45 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned several SUVs, Honda CR-V, Jeep Liberty, Nissan Murano and the Touareg is the best SUV I have owned so far. The 3.6L engine works fine even if we wish it had just a little more power and the 6 speed automatic is a charm. The back is roomier than the Jeep Grand Cherooke. When I purchased this vehicle, I was also considering the Honda Pilot, Jeep GC, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X3. I finally opted for the touareg because it's fun to drive, the 4WD is phenomenal in snow and the back window is straight so you don't loose 50% of the trunk space with the back window that is at a 45 degreee angle.

Midsize Contender
By Doug on 11/26/07 18:19 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After looking at Lexus, X5, Cayane, MDX, and the Audi. The Touareg is the smartest choice! VW did the right thing on adding the much needed horse power to the SUV, and the interior is nice and functional. VW is great but I would recommed the extended if you will keep for more than 5 years.

Lives up to expectations
By Beefoe on 10/13/07 09:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Have driven my Touareg 2 around 2500 miles, mostly highway, and I'm very happy with the car. It has plenty of power and unless you're towing a boat, you probably don't need the V8. Styling is great, interior is clean and functional and overall fit and finish are flawless. Gas mileage has been 19-20 and 26 gallon gas tank comes in handy. Ride is very much softer than other SUVs I've had (Pathfinder, Rodeo) and certainly much softer than my A4 so if you're expecting a tight German ride you won't get it in a Touareg. Power steering is kind of overpowered, like a Ford pick-up, but I think they do this for off-road capabilities. If this is going to bug you, maybe look at the Cayenne.

Best for 2008
By jjmky on 09/27/07 16:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2000 Passat for this new guy. The V6 engine in the Touareg 2 gives it plenty of punch and reasonable gas mileage, especially considering the vehicle's weight. With weight though, comes safety. The list of standard features is enormous; I only had to add one or two options for it to be the perfect car; a sunroof is standard! The leather seats are very comfortable, and the rest of the cabin is nicely trimmed. The navigation system works great. The Touareg 2 is great for off-roading, and is still agile in city driving. The exterior styling is pretty cool, with the new chrome shield. It makes the vehicle seem a bit more sophisticated and modern, and turns heads.

Fun SUV
By kw27 on 09/03/07 08:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 SUV VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After looking at the ML, X5, and XC90, the Touareg proves to be the best value. Performance is equal or better than competitors, not to mention the top-notch build quality and great looks.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 Suv in VA is:

$114 per month*