2016 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Love and Hate.
By Brett

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the 2016 Tiguan S fwd in November 2015 (9months ago) as my first brand new car loved it at first but now I'm just okay with it. A few problems I've ran into is strictly with the dealership. When purchasing the base model we was told we could upgrade our stereo system to have navigation and XM radio added, after purchasing the car we took it back to have the upgrades service told us that it's not compatible? Another issue, my anti lock brakes are activating for no reason making it hard to stop its happened 3 or 4 times since I've owned it on smooth dry roads. Brought it to the closest dealership 30miles away for them to tell me they can't pull my warranty information I had to take it to the dealership I bought it from 50miles away. Why?? I've had it in the dealership 3times now for the antilock brakes and service says it's not throwing a code nothing is wrong with it bring it back when it happens again.. Some pro's about the Tiguan I really like how the car handles and the fwd does excellent in snow. MPG is great! I average about 29mpg combined (better than advertised).I like that the base models comes loaded. Heated leatherette seats, heated mirrors, push button start, kessy, auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, Bluetooth and back up camera. Con's, turning radius isn't all that great and the transmission shift points are a bit sloppy, mirrors are really small, anti lock brakes activating is concerning... The support from the dealership is terrible. I'm developing a bad taste for VW

2016 VW Tiguan is Teriffic!
By Dave Z.

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a small German SUV. It is also the basis for other VW family models. Wonderful German feel and luxury while not breaking the bank. The 2016 model has many features standard that were available on high end models before. While the Tiguan doesn't have many gadgets it is a very capable vehicle. We looked at others and it came down to the Mazda CX-5 and Tiguan. We bought the Tiguan and are thrilled with it. We have owned a Nissan Rogue but I would say the VW is a better vehicle for the same money. The vehicle has a lot of value and should be explored especially for those people not looking for what everyone else is driving.

Like a GTI on stilts
By DAVE ZECH

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV R-Line 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I came from a VWGti and the tiguan is everything I need. Fast easy and fun to drive. It has great technology in that it completely syncs with my android phone, for Voice commands including navigation with Google map

GTI in SUV clothing!!!
By Roberto 1235

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Fun to drive with a definite German car feel......this is my 3rd Tiguan lease and they get better and better....I needed : towing capability to transport my 16ft fishing boat with gear,a roomy drivers cockpit,powerful turbo engine,a reasonable lease price,and, fun to drive.This SUV meets these and then some.The previous lease was the SEL model,fully loaded.In hindsight I would have been better off with the S Model considering my requirements and saved a bundle.This gives up the sunroof ,fog lights and Nav system. My take on the 2013 Nav system was mediocre at best.Miss the cornering fog lights.VW added the backup camera,upgraded fabric,keyless ignition,and rain sensing wipers probably to sweeten the deal for all 2016 Tiguans until the 2017 redesign becomes available.MSRP was also lower.VW also needs to recover credibility given the TDI disaster.The 16in wheels give such a good ride compared to the 18/19 options(which I had on the previous SE/SEL leases.Much more rubber to absorb bumps and grinds.As far as space goes the Tiguan is fine for grocery shopping,running errands,EZ parking,and trips to Home Depot for fertilizer etc. Wish the transmission shift points were more crisp(I like to use the manual shift feature) but maybe they have been tweaked to improve MPG which seems to be better than previous models.Early results are giving 25MPG since I just took delivery of the S being reviewed.This little SUV behaves just like much larger models only tighter,peppier,once again...fun to drive!

More than the Reviews would tell you
By Edzel Duquiatan

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have always driven either a sedan or a hatch all my life. Except for the higher seats, it pretty much drives like a sedan. So when I really needed to buy an SUV for the longer drives and tougher terrain, I did a lot of research. Sure enough, you will get all the tech you want on all of the other brands (moon-roof, better infotainment, GPS navigation). For that, I drove the Subaru Crosstrek and even the Mazda CX5 prior to the purchase. But at the price point of the VW Tiguan, it just had the qualities I really wanted in an SUV. Stronger than the average engine, solid and premium driving performance, AWD, and being more like a compact SUV were all that made me decide. I initially had thoughts if I made the right decision because of all the bad reviews. But day after day of driving it makes me think that I made the right decision. It just grows on me everyday. In the end, it just depends on what you want in your SUV.